Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > VHS to DVD?

VHS to DVD?

iL_weReo

Greetings,

How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain machine that
you plug them both into, I mean how much does this machine cost?

I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD onto another
DVD. Does that mean you need another machine? Or don't you?

Many thanks, Scott.

WhzzKdd

"iL_weReo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Greetings,
>
> How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain machine that
> you plug them both into, I mean how much does this machine cost?
>
> I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD onto another
> DVD. Does that mean you need another machine? Or don't you?
>
> Many thanks, Scott.

There are stand-alone copiers available at your favorite electronics
stores - they have a VCR and a DVD-R in one unit. You can record directly
from the tape to the disc.

This might help:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5605370-1.html

You can also use a TV capture card in your PC with it's existing DVD-R
burner.

Wereo_SUPREMO43

news:SAapi.19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "iL_weReo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Greetings,
>>
>> How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain machine that
>> you plug them both into, I mean how much does this machine cost?
>>
>> I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD onto another
>> DVD. Does that mean you need another machine? Or don't you?
>>
>> Many thanks, Scott.
>>

> There are stand-alone copiers available at your favorite electronics
> stores - they have a VCR and a DVD-R in one unit. You can record directly
> from the tape to the disc.
>
> This might help:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5605370-1.html
>
> You can also use a TV capture card in your PC with it's existing DVD-R
> burner.
>
> --
> I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Yes, I might be able to incorporate my Computer into this process. Thank you
for your suggestion WhzzKdd.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

iL_weReo wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain machine that
> you plug them both into, I mean how much does this machine cost?
>
> I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD onto another
> DVD. Does that mean you need another machine? Or don't you?

You must learn to think of copy protection. Is the VHS a movie from
Hollywood, or is it a tape that you shot. If you shot it, the choices
are easy. Every Walmart carries a DVD/VHS machine for not very much.

Wereo_SUPREMO43

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> iL_weReo wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain machine that
>> you plug them both into, I mean how much does this machine cost?
>>
>> I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD onto another
>> DVD. Does that mean you need another machine? Or don't you?

> You must learn to think of copy protection. Is the VHS a movie from
> Hollywood, or is it a tape that you shot. If you shot it, the choices are
> easy. Every Walmart carries a DVD/VHS machine for not very much.

Yes, I shot all these Films myself. I'm not worried about Copy Protection.
In my case it's K-Mart by Martha Stewart.

Many thanks, Rgr.

Fred Kasner

Rgr wrote:
> iL_weReo wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain machine that
>> you plug them both into, I mean how much does this machine cost?
>>
>> I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD onto another
>> DVD. Does that mean you need another machine? Or don't you?

> You must learn to think of copy protection. Is the VHS a movie from
> Hollywood, or is it a tape that you shot. If you shot it, the choices
> are easy. Every Walmart carries a DVD/VHS machine for not very much.

I remember a few years ago going to WM for just that purpose. But the
machine they had burned the VHS to a DVD-R disk. All the work I had done
in the past was with DVD+R disks. No sale.
FK

HEMI-Powered

iL_weReo added these comments in the current discussion du jour

> Greetings,
>
> How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain
> machine that you plug them both into, I mean how much does
> this machine cost?

One way or another, you're going to need something that can play
back VHS tapes and something to burn a DVD. I bought a DVR so I
could recored to a HD that has a VHS tape reader that can also
record and a DVD burner. Works great. Prices vary, you can get
something that will go directly from VHS to DVD pretty cheap but if
it doesn't have a HD, it is impossible to name or edit it and
difficult to know when the end of the tape comes to turn off the
burn. My DVR was in the almost $500 range, but I think lower end
models from the same manufacturer get down in the $300s, so not
that cheap, but FAR cheaper than paying a copying service if you
have a lot to do. My local store charges $25/hour copied.

> I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD onto
> another DVD. Does that mean you need another machine? Or don't
> you?

Once you have a DVD, then, yes, you can use any good DVD software
such as Nero or Roxio to create as many copies as you want. If
you're into fancy stuff, software is available for you to edit, add
fades and slides, special effects, build chapters, rearrange the
sequence of scenes, etc. It all depends on what your needs and
wants are, how much money you want to spend, and how much effort
you want to expend to achieve whatever results you have in mind.

--
HP, aka Jerry

HEMI-Powered

Rgr added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

> iL_weReo wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain
>> machine that you plug them both into, I mean how much does
>> this machine cost?
>>
>> I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD onto
>> another DVD. Does that mean you need another machine? Or
>> don't you?

> You must learn to think of copy protection. Is the VHS a movie
> from Hollywood, or is it a tape that you shot. If you shot it,
> the choices are easy. Every Walmart carries a DVD/VHS machine
> for not very much.

I've borrowed many, many VHS tapes from my city library. Until I
tried copying them to my DVR's HD, I never knew that a tape could
be copy protected. But, of the inventory of older titles I like, I
would say the number is only about 5%, so I did pretty well.

--
HP, aka Jerry

HEMI-Powered

Fred Kasner added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

> Rgr wrote:
>> iL_weReo wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain
>>> machine that you plug them both into, I mean how much does
>>> this machine cost?
>>>
>>> I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD
>>> onto another DVD. Does that mean you need another machine?
>>> Or don't you?

>> You must learn to think of copy protection. Is the VHS a
>> movie from Hollywood, or is it a tape that you shot. If you
>> shot it, the choices are easy. Every Walmart carries a
>> DVD/VHS machine for not very much.

> I remember a few years ago going to WM for just that purpose.
> But the machine they had burned the VHS to a DVD-R disk. All
> the work I had done in the past was with DVD+R disks. No sale.
> FK

I've never understood the difference between DVR-R and DVR+R, but
I did learn the hardway that my DVR-DVD burner doesn't like very
many brands of DVDs, it likes Verbatim the best. And, while it
will use a +, it wants to format it first so it takes me more
time. So, I buy 50 or 100 spindles of DVR-R and both the machine
and I are happy campers.

So, I'm curious, what is it about + discs that you find
different/better? Unlike my DVR, my PC does seem to care what
brand or what type I use, they all work reliably.

--
HP, aka Jerry

phrogee

"iL_weReo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Greetings,
>
> How do you transfer a VHS to a DVD? Do you buy a certain machine that
> you plug them both into, I mean how much does this machine cost?
>
> I guess then it's convenient and simple to copy that DVD onto another
> DVD. Does that mean you need another machine? Or don't you?
>
> Many thanks, Scott.

Take a look at this multi-format Samsung.

http://tinyurl.com/ywp2wu

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1168043636161