Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > How crucial is a public IP on WAN port for VPN?

How crucial is a public IP on WAN port for VPN?

alfa145uk

I got asked this question today by somebody. Whilst I've set up
numerous Watchguard firewalls in the last few years, nearly all have
been on a conventional public lan, a few have been behind a single
static ip nat'd from the router and have worked.

I've spent hours/days/weeks trying to overcome incorrectly nat'd packets
for VPN connectivity issues before to know that it is just best avoided.
I've never tried setting up a Cisco fw other than having a public IP on
the wan ports, so what would happen if I tried NAT?

James

On 24 Jul, 04:46, alfa145uk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I got asked this question today by somebody. Whilst I've set up
> numerous Watchguard firewalls in the last few years, nearly all have
> been on a conventional public lan, a few have been behind a single
> static ip nat'd from the router and have worked.
>
> I've spent hours/days/weeks trying to overcome incorrectly nat'd packets
> for VPN connectivity issues before to know that it is just best avoided.
> I've never tried setting up a Cisco fw other than having a public IP on
> the wan ports, so what would happen if I tried NAT?

I have done it a few times with PIX 6.3 and various IOS routers over
DSL lines which use private IP Addressing to the ISP. It works fine -
virtually all devices now support Nat Traversal.

James