Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > O.K. novice at work here!! Please advise..

O.K. novice at work here!! Please advise..

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

I connect DSL to my desktop through a modem then to a Linksys wireless
router.I am trying to connect a wireless laptop and make a remote desktop
location.The internet works fine on both computers.

Thank you,
Rick

Carey Holzman

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I connect DSL to my desktop through a modem then to a Linksys wireless
> router.I am trying to connect a wireless laptop and make a remote desktop
> location.The internet works fine on both computers.
>
> Thank you,
> Rick

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

Carey,
Thank you for the reply,I'll give it a shot !

Rick

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I connect DSL to my desktop through a modem then to a Linksys wireless
> > router.I am trying to connect a wireless laptop and make a remote desktop
> > location.The internet works fine on both computers.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Rick

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

Carey,I made the changes as your website specifies.What should I do next to
set up my network,should I run the set up wizard? As stated in my subject
line,I'm a novice!

Thank you,
Rick

"Rick" wrote:

> Carey,
> Thank you for the reply,I'll give it a shot !
>
> Rick
>

> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
> > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
> >
> > Carey
> >
> > "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I connect DSL to my desktop through a modem then to a Linksys wireless
> > > router.I am trying to connect a wireless laptop and make a remote desktop
> > > location.The internet works fine on both computers.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Rick

Carey Holzman

After following the setup, you're all done. You should able to access the
Internet on both machines (assuming you have them hooked up to a router) and
pick the things you want to share.

Carey

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carey,I made the changes as your website specifies.What should I do next
> set up my network,should I run the set up wizard? As stated in my subject
> line,I'm a novice!
>
> Thank you,
> Rick
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> Carey,
>> Thank you for the reply,I'll give it a shot !
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>>
>> > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>> >
>> > Carey
>> >
>> > "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

Carey,my desktop shows my laptop in (my network places) but when I try to
access it I get a message "The network path was not found.I am not able to
view my desktop from my laptop (my network places) and they are both on the
same workgroup and have different names.Help!

Rick

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> After following the setup, you're all done. You should able to access the
> Internet on both machines (assuming you have them hooked up to a router) and
> pick the things you want to share.
>
> Carey

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Carey,I made the changes as your website specifies.What should I do next
> > set up my network,should I run the set up wizard? As stated in my subject
> > line,I'm a novice!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Rick
> >
> > "Rick" wrote:
> >
> >> Carey,
> >> Thank you for the reply,I'll give it a shot !
> >>
> >> Rick

Carey Holzman

What are you sharing on the laptop?

Is XP running on both PCs? What version of XP is running, Home or Pro, on
each PC?

Carey

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carey,my desktop shows my laptop in (my network places) but when I try to
> access it I get a message "The network path was not found.I am not able to
> view my desktop from my laptop (my network places) and they are both on
> the
> same workgroup and have different names.Help!
>
> Rick
>

> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
>> After following the setup, you're all done. You should able to access the
>> Internet on both machines (assuming you have them hooked up to a router)
>> and
>> pick the things you want to share.
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Carey,I made the changes as your website specifies.What should I do
>> > next
>> > set up my network,should I run the set up wizard? As stated in my
>> > subject
>> > line,I'm a novice!
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Rick

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

Carey,I got creative and disabled my Zonealarm and my desktop appeared !!
I've been playing ever since,this is pretty cool!
I really appreciate you getting back to me on this,if I hadn't figured it
out I know you would have.You're a great resource,thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Rick

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> What are you sharing on the laptop?
>
> Is XP running on both PCs? What version of XP is running, Home or Pro, on
> each PC?
>
> Carey

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Carey,my desktop shows my laptop in (my network places) but when I try to
> > access it I get a message "The network path was not found.I am not able to
> > view my desktop from my laptop (my network places) and they are both on
> > the
> > same workgroup and have different names.Help!
> >
> > Rick
> >

> > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
> >
> >> After following the setup, you're all done. You should able to access the
> >> Internet on both machines (assuming you have them hooked up to a router)
> >> and
> >> pick the things you want to share.
> >>
> >> Carey
> >>
> >> "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Carey Holzman

You must not have followed the very first thing my instructions say on the
very first reply I sent to you (ie: www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm)

Glad to hear you got it figured out, just the same.

Carey

news:(E-Mail Removed)...