Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Storage Resource Manager

Storage Resource Manager

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

Hi,

I'm trying to get the storage resource manager mmc up and running on one of
my NAS boxes which is running 2003 standard edition.

According to a Microsoft article
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...b9fa7ed1a.mspx)
it should be in add/remove programs, windows components, management and
monitoring tools but I cannot find it and i also cannot find it when I look
on my vmware versions of 2003 pro sp1 etc. Am I missing something obvious or
is it not as simple as it should be.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

Neil

did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
say in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...r2003R2Beta2/L
> ibrary/Corral/91d4ff1d-24cb-474c-b301-2acb9fa7ed1a.mspx

um, Win2003 <> 2003 R2

currently Win2k3 R2 is still in beta (I believe) but you can find more
info at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...2/default.mspx

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Innuendo - an Italian suppository.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

true, good point. nevertheless, my question remains, i need to set quotas on
disk space on my server, how can i do it...?

Cheers,

"Neil" wrote:

> did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> say in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...r2003R2Beta2/L
> > ibrary/Corral/91d4ff1d-24cb-474c-b301-2acb9fa7ed1a.mspx

> um, Win2003 <> 2003 R2
>
> currently Win2k3 R2 is still in beta (I believe) but you can find more
> info at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...2/default.mspx
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP#30
>
> - Innuendo - an Italian suppository.

Neil

did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
say in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> true, good point. nevertheless, my question remains, i need to set
> quotas on disk space on my server, how can i do it...?

right click the disk in explorer, click properties, click the quota tab and
follow the instructions

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous.

Neil

did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
say in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> true, good point. nevertheless, my question remains, i need to set
> quotas on disk space on my server, how can i do it...?

note also that these are per volume quotas not per share/ per server quotas

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- "Our marriage must be dissolved," she said acidly.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

fantastic, thankyou...

> right click the disk in explorer, click properties, click the quota tab and
> follow the instructions

Ben Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> fantastic, thankyou...
>

> > right click the disk in explorer, click properties, click the quota tab and
> > follow the instructions

You may also have to fiddle with the ownership bit on each file as well.
Quotas are tracked by the file owner, which depending on how your share
is setup, may very well all be owned by Administrators. You can use
Subinacl.exe from the Resource Kit or in WS03 manually through the GUI.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

ok, i'm now coming up against a problem, native quota management doesn't
allow me to do what i'm trying to. what i need to do is set a standard share
which can be accessed by anyone to ensure that it has sufficient space, i.e.
it needs a guarenteed 80GB so even if it is currently using only 50GB i need
to be abel to block that additional space so that no one else fills it
elsewhere on the disk.

Any ideas?

cheers