Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Dell 2400 Windows password

Dell 2400 Windows password

Brenda

I have a Dell 2400 and a Emachine W2686 that I inherited and they are both
password protected (windows). I have pulled the password jumper and I have
removed the battery on the Dell trying to make it reset and nothing has
worked as of yet. Does anyone have a solution for my problem?
I wonder if some sort of password protection device has been installed?

Brenda

Todd H.

"Brenda" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I have a Dell 2400 and a Emachine W2686 that I inherited and they are
> both password protected (windows). I have pulled the password jumper
> and I have removed the battery on the Dell trying to make it reset and
> nothing has worked as of yet. Does anyone have a solution for my
> problem?
> I wonder if some sort of password protection device has been
> installed?

Password jumpers on the motherboard will at best get around any
BIOS-set passwords. They won't do anything to any windows passwords.

Dig on Dell and Emachine's websites to see if they have service
partition you can boot into to reinstall the factory windows image
from a hidden partition on the hard drive. OR better still from a
security perspective, throw a few dollars at ordering their factory
install CD's and reinstall windows from there.

With how poorly most people maintain their windows machines, you
really don't want to be using someone's virus infested installation of
windows anyway, and you'll want to flatten and rebuild the machine
from an original install CD anyway.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

dc

Try this...

dc

"Brenda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Dell 2400 and a Emachine W2686 that I inherited and they are both
> password protected (windows). I have pulled the password jumper and I

have
> removed the battery on the Dell trying to make it reset and nothing has
> worked as of yet. Does anyone have a solution for my problem?
> I wonder if some sort of password protection device has been installed?
>
> Brenda

Ari

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:21:04 -0500, Brenda wrote:

> I have a Dell 2400 and a Emachine W2686 that I inherited and they are both
> password protected (windows). I have pulled the password jumper and I have
> removed the battery on the Dell trying to make it reset and nothing has
> worked as of yet. Does anyone have a solution for my problem?
> I wonder if some sort of password protection device has been installed?
>
> Brenda

http://www.lostpassword.com/kit.htm

Jim Watt

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:29:16 -0400, Ari <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>http://www.lostpassword.com/kit.htm

cheaper to buy a new PC
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Ari

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:47:08 +0200, Jim Watt wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:29:16 -0400, Ari <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.lostpassword.com/kit.htm

> cheaper to buy a new PC

Depends on the PC and you still don't have your access.

Jim Watt

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:11:33 -0400, Ari <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:47:08 +0200, Jim Watt wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:29:16 -0400, Ari <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.lostpassword.com/kit.htm

>> cheaper to buy a new PC

>Depends on the PC and you still don't have your access.

From the sample screens the part for resetting the admin
password looks remarkably like the freeware available on
the net.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Ari

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:38:28 +0200, Jim Watt wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:11:33 -0400, Ari <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:47:08 +0200, Jim Watt wrote:

>>> cheaper to buy a new PC

>>Depends on the PC and you still don't have your access.

> From the sample screens the part for resetting the admin
> password looks remarkably like the freeware available on
> the net.

Yes, there are freeware alternatives that will do as much.