Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Preventing rust on hand tools?

Preventing rust on hand tools?

Old Gringo

On Or About Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:09:02 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
Or Thinking Twice, pcbutts1 Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

> Sorry Mitch but WD-40 was invented for this purpose. The "WD" stands for
> "Water Displacement" See here
> http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

Isn't Mineral Oil also used as a laxative?
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

olfart

"Grandpa Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Even though we have a dehumidifier running constantly in our basement
> I have noticed that my hand tools that are in a good quality roll
> around tool box are developing rust. Each drawer is lined with a
> rubber mat.
>
> Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?
>
> Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be more
> appropriate.
>
> Thanks friends.
> --
>
> Grandpa Chuck
> --
> ~

In addition to using an oil or WD-40 on the tools you might want to make
sure that the drawer surface under the rubber mat stays dry too. The mat
will help to trap basemant moisture in the bottom of the drawer which will
affect the tools.

olfart

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Or About Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:09:02 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
> Or Thinking Twice, pcbutts1 Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
> The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>
>> Sorry Mitch but WD-40 was invented for this purpose. The "WD" stands for
>> "Water Displacement" See here
>> http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

> Isn't Mineral Oil also used as a laxative?
> --

and as an engine lube in Rolls Royce autos some years ago

Grandpa Chuck

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:26:58 GMT, Old Gringo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Or About Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:09:02 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
>Or Thinking Twice, pcbutts1 Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
>The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>
>> Sorry Mitch but WD-40 was invented for this purpose. The "WD" stands for
>> "Water Displacement" See here
>> http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

>Isn't Mineral Oil also used as a laxative?

LOL
That is one of its uses, but don't leave home if you have taken it.
Many years ago I had a barium enema so the doctor could see inside my
gut. (That was long before the colonoscopy was available.) When they
were done they gave me mineral oil mixed with orange juice. Before I
left the hospital I asked the doctor how soon I could return to work.
He said it would be fine to go to work the next morning. What he
didn't tell me was that the oil would probably leak without me knowing
it. At that time I wore a white uniform and didn't know anything was
wrong until the lady I worked with asked, "Did you set in something or
did you **** you pants." I grabbed a spare pair of pants from my
locker and ran to the bathroom. I cleaned myself up, put on the clean
pants, wadded the others up along with my underwear, told her that I
needed to go home and left for the remainder of the day. She called me
at home and told me she had been through the same thing and to make
sure I was done with it before coming back to work.

Now, back to the other uses of mineral oil: I know it can be used as a
lubricant so long as what you are using it on does not get hot (or so
I have been told). Our doctor told us that it can be used as a
personal lubricant but vegetable oil works better and is safer.

I also use it when I make baby wipes. I mix a tablespoon of mineral
oil, a tablespoon of baby shampoo and a scant tablespoon of alcohol
with a cup of hot water. I stir it up to mix everything in a good
plastic container with half of a roll of paper towels that I have cut
across the center on my table saw. I have psoriasis and using normal
toilet paper leaves my rectum very raw and sore.

I am sure there are many other uses for mineral oil that I am not
thinking of right now.

Aren't you happy you asked?
--

Grandpa Chuck
--

Americans killed in the occupation of Iraq as of July 21, 2007 is 3,633.
United Kingdom = 163 Other = 129.

How many more Americans must die to satisfy Bush's ego?
Let us all pray for Bush - God knows he needs it!

As of July 23, 2007 it has been 1545 days since Bush
while standing in front of the banner which was sent
to the ship by the White House saying MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
declared,"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our
allies have prevailed." IOW MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Isn't Bush's "surge" of troops working well?
Pay attention to the frequency of American deaths since it began.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair
Lewis

Grandpa Chuck

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:40:00 GMT, Old Gringo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Or About Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:10:59 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
>Thinking Twice, Grandpa Chuck Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
>The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>
>> Thank you.
>> Please read my reply to Mitch.
>> Good to see you hanging around here Old Gringo.

>Hope it all works out for you. I was around before they invented the
>spray can and WD40, prior to that #2 grade fuel oil was used. Any
>oils especially mineral oil will Leave a residue that will build and
>cause the tools to become sticky. Good Luck

I like the idea of using gun oil. I may invest in a can of it.
--

Grandpa Chuck
--

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:42:48 -1000, Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Grandpa Chuck
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?
>>
>> Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be more
>> appropriate.

>Yes: a standard way that everyone using tools is supposed to know and
>use routinely. It used to be taught in 'shop' classes; it has always
>been part of the clean-up process, and it has a very very long
>tradition.
>
>Wipe it with a rag and mineral oil.
>
>It has always been assumed people using tools know how to clean them,
>and would do so often, if not every single time it's used. The single
>major task of this clean-up is just to wipe tools with this
>lightly-oiled rag. Nothing more.

I normally do a very good job of cleaning and wiping off hand tools.
For our garden tools I filled a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of sharp sand
and stirred a quart of motor oil into it. Whenever we use our garden
tool after cleaning any remaining dirt we dip the tool into the
sand/oil mix and make sure to move it around enough to thoroughly coat
it. If the top of the metal surface won't fit I take a rag, dip it
into the mix and wipe the tool down with the rag.
--

Grandpa Chuck
--

Americans killed in the occupation of Iraq as of July 21, 2007 is 3,633.
United Kingdom = 163 Other = 129.

How many more Americans must die to satisfy Bush's ego?
Let us all pray for Bush - God knows he needs it!

As of July 23, 2007 it has been 1545 days since Bush
while standing in front of the banner which was sent
to the ship by the White House saying MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
declared,"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our
allies have prevailed." IOW MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Isn't Bush's "surge" of troops working well?
Pay attention to the frequency of American deaths since it began.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair
Lewis

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Grandpa Chuck wrote:

> I like the idea of using gun oil. I may invest in a can of it.

One little sub-topic not brought up yet, dissimilar metals. Metals that
are not exactly alike and are touching each other oxidize more quickly.
If your tools touch each other or the metal toolbox (yes, I saw the part
about drawer linings) then they are at greater risk of oxidation.

My solution to this problem is to pile all my tools into one big toolbox
and when one of them is screwed, blued and tattooed, I toss it. Takes
about 40 years to cycle through a toolbox.

Grandpa Chuck

On 23 Jul 2007 07:17:47 GMT, Jerry Attic <(E-Mail Removed)0m>
wrote:

>Grandpa Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
><snip>
>> I don't understand why some, as in a relative small percentage, of
>> tools in good condition have begun to show a little rust. I first
>> noticed it on a 10" pair of needle nose pliers. In the past I have had
>> a couple of small side cutters actually seize up with rust when they
>> were in a drawer. They were not dirty, scratched or showed any undo
>> wear. Those I cleaned up with Naval Jelly and only when they were
>> freed up did I oil them and wipe them down with oil. (Usually 556, if
>> you are familiar with that brand. It was used quite a bit in the shop
>> of the place where I worked and an appliance service man told me it
>> was a much better product than WD40, so I bought a couple of cans.)

>I imagine it's because of the different types of steel used in the tools.
>
> Jerry

I suspected as much since those particular tool were very inexpensive
and are not plated with anything so far as I can tell.
--

Grandpa Chuck
--

Americans killed in the occupation of Iraq as of July 21, 2007 is 3,633.
United Kingdom = 163 Other = 129.

How many more Americans must die to satisfy Bush's ego?
Let us all pray for Bush - God knows he needs it!

As of July 23, 2007 it has been 1545 days since Bush
while standing in front of the banner which was sent
to the ship by the White House saying MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
declared,"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our
allies have prevailed." IOW MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Isn't Bush's "surge" of troops working well?
Pay attention to the frequency of American deaths since it began.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair
Lewis

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> One little sub-topic not brought up yet, dissimilar metals. Metals that
> are not exactly alike and are touching each other oxidize more quickly.
> If your tools touch each other or the metal toolbox (yes, I saw the part
> about drawer linings) then they are at greater risk of oxidation.

All of my tools are press-fit into planter foam in each tray in the tool
box, this keeps them apart and makes it easy to see if a tool is
missing. It also means I clean them before I put them away so that the
foam doesn't get messy - had a clean roller box for close to 20 years
like that (and it's a double wide with more than 12 trays...).

The Rem Oil is cheap and gives a good protective coating and all proper
Americans should already have gun cleaner and gun oil in their homes to
go with their Guns

--
Leythos - (E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 to email me)

and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

Grandpa Chuck

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:09:42 +0100, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2007-07-23, Grandpa Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Even though we have a dehumidifier running constantly in our basement
>> I have noticed that my hand tools that are in a good quality roll
>> around tool box are developing rust. Each drawer is lined with a
>> rubber mat.
>>
>> Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?
>>
>> Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be more
>> appropriate.
>>
>> Thanks friends.

>My grandfather taught me to always wipe iron or steel tools with an oily
>rag every time they are used. His garden tools lasted him a long lifetime
>and may still be giving good service to someone somewhere, well after
>they've passed their first centenary; his screwdrivers, pliers, etc
>certainly are.

At the very least every fall we wipe down any and all wooden handles
with boiled linseed oil too. Garden tools stay in good condition much
longer.
--

Grandpa Chuck