Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A570 IS replacement?

Canon A570 IS replacement?

The Real Bev

I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter priority
setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough, it's got a
big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from my Nikon CP800
are sharper. I've still got two months to return it, which I plan to do as
soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.

4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be looking for
in the under-$400 range?

--
Cheers,
Bev

Dave Cohen

The Real Bev wrote:
> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
> priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
> it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from
> my Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it,
> which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.
>
> 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be looking
> for in the under-$400 range?

Well the A630/640 are less than $400, although a little larger but I
doubt there's much difference in the lens. Canon make a good camera and
their lenses shouldn't be noticeably poor. I would search for comparison
reviews, maybe you have a non typical sample.
Dave Cohen

Bruce.

"The Real Bev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FKRoi.70$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
>priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
>it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from my
>Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it, which I
>plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.

Canon is somewhat known for taking softer pictures (as in unoversharpened),
but I own a 710 IS and I've been very happy with the several thousand
pictures I've taken with it.

Bruce.

The Real Bev

Dave Cohen wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
>> priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
>> it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from
>> my Nikon CP800 are sharper.

I bought that camera 6.5 years ago, it's time for an upgrade even if there's
nothing really wrong with it.

>> I've still got two months to return it,
>> which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.
>>
>> 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be looking
>> for in the under-$400 range?

> Well the A630/640 are less than $400, although a little larger but I
> doubt there's much difference in the lens. Canon make a good camera and
> their lenses shouldn't be noticeably poor. I would search for comparison
> reviews, maybe you have a non typical sample.

Friend with a Canon SD800 IS says the same thing about his. I wouldn't call
it noticeably poor, just inadequately sharp I don't print, but I have a
21" screen.

I was looking at a Kodak Z712, but it uses proprietary batteries (non-Kodak
spare+charger=$44) and I don't like the pop-up flash and the need for a
separate lanscap. Moreover, there was mention of "softness" rather than
"sharpness". OTOH, it has TWO eyelets so you can hang it around your neck
or under your arm rather than on your wrist -- which has to be one of the
world's dumbest ideas. And Costco sells it, which means I can return it
easily. I feel bad doing that, but I don't see any other option.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

Bruce. wrote:

> "The Real Bev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
>>priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
>>it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from my
>>Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it, which I
>>plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.

> Canon is somewhat known for taking softer pictures (as in unoversharpened),
> but I own a 710 IS and I've been very happy with the several thousand
> pictures I've taken with it.

"Unoversharpened." I like that. So who's known for taken oversharpened pix?

--
Cheers,
Bev
"I read about this syndrome called hypochondria in a
magazine. I think I've got it." -- DA

wkasimer

On Jul 22, 7:28 pm, The Real Bev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter priority
> setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough, it's got a
> big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp.

Have you fiddled with the default sharpness setting?

Bill

Bob Williams

The Real Bev wrote:
> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
> priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
> it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from
> my Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it,
> which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.
>
> 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be looking
> for in the under-$400 range?

Canon and many others have pushed the envelope too far by trying to
squeeze 7MP into a 1/2.5" sensor.
The Fuji F30 is one of a very few P&S cameras to buck the trend .
The F30 has 6MP and uses a 1/1.7" sensor. The larger pixel pitch of the
F30 makes a difference especially in lower light situations.
Compare images from the two cameras on Steve's Digicams.
Look especially at the serial number on the waste container in front of
the Red Brick building. That is a good test for image quality.
Bob Williams

Paul Heslop

The Real Bev wrote:

> Bruce. wrote:
>
> > "The Real Bev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
> >>priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
> >>it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from my
> >>Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it, which I
> >>plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.

> > Canon is somewhat known for taking softer pictures (as in unoversharpened),
> > but I own a 710 IS and I've been very happy with the several thousand
> > pictures I've taken with it.

> "Unoversharpened." I like that. So who's known for taken oversharpened pix?

I'd just like a normalsharpened please :O)

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look

Ray Paseur

The Real Bev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:FKRoi.70$(E-Mail Removed):

> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
> priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small
> enough, it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp.
> The pix from my Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to
> return it, which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to
> replace it.
>
> 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be
> looking for in the under-$400 range?

You might want to consider the Canon S3 IS. Street prices are down below
$300US because of the Canon S5 IS. It has a great zoom and has become our
favorite "family camera" for just about every kind of event. My only
criticisms are (1) no Camera-Raw output; (2) a little narrow at the wide
end of the zoom (3) goofy lens cap. But its ability to capture really good
photos in program-auto mode greatly outweighs its flaws, and it has good
creative controls if you want to get into control of shutter and aperture.

King Sardon

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:13:08 GMT, Ray Paseur
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The Real Bev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:FKRoi.70$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
>> priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small
>> enough, it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp.
>> The pix from my Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to
>> return it, which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to
>> replace it.
>>
>> 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be
>> looking for in the under-$400 range?
>>

>You might want to consider the Canon S3 IS. Street prices are down below
>$300US because of the Canon S5 IS. It has a great zoom and has become our
>favorite "family camera" for just about every kind of event. My only
>criticisms are (1) no Camera-Raw output; (2) a little narrow at the wide
>end of the zoom (3) goofy lens cap. But its ability to capture really good
>photos in program-auto mode greatly outweighs its flaws, and it has good
>creative controls if you want to get into control of shutter and aperture.

But the S3 and S5 are both heavy and bulky, approaching the Rebel in
those respects.

KS