Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dust!

Reply
Thread Tools

Dust!

 
 
jmc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2007
I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (EOS 400D). There's dust clearly
visible through the viewfinder, even with the lens off. I've cleaned
the mirror, but the dust is still there.

How do I clean it off? I don't have any compressed air, and wasn't sure
anyway whether that's safe to blow into my camera's innards anyway.

Thanks for any help.

jmc
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Adrian Boliston
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2007
"jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (EOS 400D). There's dust clearly visible
>through the viewfinder, even with the lens off. I've cleaned the mirror,
>but the dust is still there.


The dust will be on the focussing screen (just above the mirror, facing
downwards)

Cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jmc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2007
Suddenly, without warning, Adrian Boliston exclaimed (7/22/2007 8:44 PM):
> "jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (EOS 400D). There's dust clearly visible
>> through the viewfinder, even with the lens off. I've cleaned the mirror,
>> but the dust is still there.

>
> The dust will be on the focussing screen (just above the mirror, facing
> downwards)
>
> Cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk
>
>


Thank you. I feel like a victim in a thriller: "look UP!"

Is canned air the best way to clean the innards? It was really hard,
even with my small hands, to clear the dust off of that screen.

jmc
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2007

"jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (EOS 400D). There's dust clearly visible
>through the viewfinder, even with the lens off. I've cleaned the mirror,
>but the dust is still there.
>
> How do I clean it off? I don't have any compressed air, and wasn't sure
> anyway whether that's safe to blow into my camera's innards anyway.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> jmc


Hi.

As I said in a slightly earlier thread, Mirror cleaning is something which
should only ever be done once or twice in a lifetime (yours not the
camera's).

These Mirrors are surface silvered, and the least thing can cause permanent
scratches.

If the dust is moderate, and does not obstruct your VF view of the Image,
and does not appear on the Image itself, just ignore it.

If great black lumps show in the VF, and a quick rub with a CLEAN lens brush
or wipe on the underside of the Fresnel Screen, (above the mirror), does not
get rid of them, then they are inside the VF optics and that will require a
visit to the Service Centre.

Roy G


 
Reply With Quote
 
Adrian Boliston
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2007
"jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is canned air the best way to clean the innards? It was really hard, even
> with my small hands, to clear the dust off of that screen.


I get the odd annoying bit of dust on the focussing screen, but have used a
small microfibre lens cloth to shift it, but it does not seem to get rid of
the very tiny specks, but they don't worry me too much. I usually carry a
giotto rocket blower which shifts larger bits of dust before resorting to a
cloth. With canned air I would worry about blowing propellant onto the
screen, but some canned airs are better than others I understand.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Townsend
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2007
jmc wrote:

> Suddenly, without warning, Adrian Boliston exclaimed (7/22/2007 8:44 PM):
>> The dust will be on the focussing screen (just above the mirror, facing
>> downwards)



> Thank you. I feel like a victim in a thriller: "look UP!"
>
> Is canned air the best way to clean the innards? It was really hard,
> even with my small hands, to clear the dust off of that screen.


You have to be careful with canned air. The propellent sometimes comes out
as spatters of liquid. This liquid can leave residue marks on your mirror,
sensor and focus screen.

Best bet is to use one of those squeeze bulbs. The rocket blower is popular
because of the pressure it generates.

Note that you don't want to use too much pressure when blowing on the screen
and in the mirror box because you can force the dust up on top of the focus
screen. If that happens, you have to take the screen out of the camera to get
the dust off.


 
Reply With Quote
 
tomm42
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2007
On Jul 22, 7:40 am, jmc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Adrian Boliston exclaimed (7/22/2007 8:44 PM):
>
> > "jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>
> >> I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (EOS 400D). There's dust clearly visible
> >> through the viewfinder, even with the lens off. I've cleaned the mirror,
> >> but the dust is still there.

>
> > The dust will be on the focussing screen (just above the mirror, facing
> > downwards)

>
> > Cheers adrianwww.boliston.co.uk

>
> Thank you. I feel like a victim in a thriller: "look UP!"
>
> Is canned air the best way to clean the innards? It was really hard,
> even with my small hands, to clear the dust off of that screen.
>
> jmc



Never use canned air, the propellant is nasty and difficult to remove,
the mirror should not be touched with anything, very delicate. Use a
Rocket Blower or an ear syringe from the drugstore, the disadvantage
of the latter is the inhale the dust, and after a while you are
blowing dust around. Dust in the viewfinder is more annoying than a
true problem. But if you have dust there shoot a few pics of the sky
at f16, see if you have dust on the AA filter that covers the sensor.

Tom

 
Reply With Quote
 
tomm42
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2007
On Jul 22, 7:40 am, jmc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Adrian Boliston exclaimed (7/22/2007 8:44 PM):
>
> > "jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>
> >> I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (EOS 400D). There's dust clearly visible
> >> through the viewfinder, even with the lens off. I've cleaned the mirror,
> >> but the dust is still there.

>
> > The dust will be on the focussing screen (just above the mirror, facing
> > downwards)

>
> > Cheers adrianwww.boliston.co.uk

>
> Thank you. I feel like a victim in a thriller: "look UP!"
>
> Is canned air the best way to clean the innards? It was really hard,
> even with my small hands, to clear the dust off of that screen.
>
> jmc



Never use canned air, the propellant is nasty and difficult to remove,
the mirror should not be touched with anything, very delicate. Use a
Rocket Blower or an ear syringe from the drugstore, the disadvantage
of the latter is the inhale the dust, and after a while you are
blowing dust around. Dust in the viewfinder is more annoying than a
true problem. But if you have dust there shoot a few pics of the sky
at f16, see if you have dust on the AA filter that covers the sensor.

Tom

 
Reply With Quote
 
Savageduck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2007
jmc wrote:
> I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (EOS 400D). There's dust clearly
> visible through the viewfinder, even with the lens off. I've cleaned
> the mirror, but the dust is still there.
>
> How do I clean it off? I don't have any compressed air, and wasn't sure
> anyway whether that's safe to blow into my camera's innards anyway.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> jmc

Do not concern yourself with dust that is visible through the
viewfinder. Under NO circumstances use canned compressed air inside the
mirror chamber. Only use a squeeze bulb type blower such as a Giotto
Rocket or dedicated chamber brushes.

Your major problem will be dust on the low pass filter protecting the
sensor (the sensor itself is never directly exposed to dust.) This you
will discover when you find dust spots in large fields of color such as
sky. These spots can be fixed in post processing with PhotoShop, but can
become a real pain and all you can do is clean the low pass filter. Here
go to your camera manual and follow instructions to lock the mirror up
and expose the sensor. usually a sensor brush will solve the problem.
(never use the same brush you use for cleaning the chamber, and always
blow the brush off with a blower or compressed air first. NEVER TOUCH
the bristles with fingers to leave grease.) Take care not to move
shutter grease onto the low pass filter.

Sometimes dust on the low pass filter (the protective glass in front of
the sensor) is fixed and cannot be moved with a brush. Here is when you
will have to resort to a wet cleaning technique. Just use the right
tools. Even so you might have to repeat several times to remove really
persistent spots.
You might need to check and clean your lenses and any filters you might
be using for spots.

Anyway here are a few URLs for cleaning tools and information.


http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
http://www.photosol.com/
http://www.kinetronics.com/
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/eclipse.html
https://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx
http://www.visibledust.com/products.php

Good luck,
'Duck
 
Reply With Quote
 
X-Man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2007
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:54:47 -0700, Savageduck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>jmc wrote:
>> I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (EOS 400D). There's dust clearly
>> visible through the viewfinder, even with the lens off. I've cleaned
>> the mirror, but the dust is still there.
>>
>> How do I clean it off? I don't have any compressed air, and wasn't sure
>> anyway whether that's safe to blow into my camera's innards anyway.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> jmc

>Do not concern yourself with dust that is visible through the
>viewfinder. Under NO circumstances use canned compressed air inside the
>mirror chamber. Only use a squeeze bulb type blower such as a Giotto
>Rocket or dedicated chamber brushes.
>
>Your major problem will be dust on the low pass filter protecting the
>sensor (the sensor itself is never directly exposed to dust.) This you
>will discover when you find dust spots in large fields of color such as
>sky. These spots can be fixed in post processing with PhotoShop, but can
>become a real pain and all you can do is clean the low pass filter. Here
>go to your camera manual and follow instructions to lock the mirror up
>and expose the sensor. usually a sensor brush will solve the problem.
>(never use the same brush you use for cleaning the chamber, and always
>blow the brush off with a blower or compressed air first. NEVER TOUCH
>the bristles with fingers to leave grease.) Take care not to move
>shutter grease onto the low pass filter.
>
>Sometimes dust on the low pass filter (the protective glass in front of
>the sensor) is fixed and cannot be moved with a brush. Here is when you
>will have to resort to a wet cleaning technique. Just use the right
>tools. Even so you might have to repeat several times to remove really
>persistent spots.
>You might need to check and clean your lenses and any filters you might
>be using for spots.
>
>Anyway here are a few URLs for cleaning tools and information.
>
>
>http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
>http://www.photosol.com/
>http://www.kinetronics.com/
>http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/eclipse.html
>https://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx
>http://www.visibledust.com/products.php
>
>Good luck,
>'Duck


LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, don't worry about all that nasty dust that's cluttering up
your viewfinder's image and will eventually move around to new places and get
all over your sensor again or behind the focusing screen or crammed into the
heart of your camera. Anyone who buys and owns a DSLR has learned to live with
all that dust in your viewfinder and on the sensor and ruining all your photos
as PERFECTLY NORMAL! LOL!!!!!!!!!!! To them it's like a fine patina on an
antique! That layer of grit and dust is something to cherish and admire! It
gives all their photos character! They would NEVER let something like dust all
over every part of their image and view dissuade them from buying yet another
"DLSR Hoover" vacuum cleaner. Just empty out the bag of dust in your DSLR every
week and don't worry about what you left behind! And be careful to not touch
that remarkable layer of dust plastered all over the mirror or you'll
permanently ruin the mirror!

What a remarkable $3000 invention!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wiping a tear of laughter from my eye..... You DSLR fans are a HOOT!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments