Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Hard Disk Full" messages

"Hard Disk Full" messages

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
vistaashley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
> crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
> Can anyone advise on what to do?

The computer may be committing some of that capacity to virtual memory
especially if you haven't enough RAM. Windows (I'm assuming that) allows
apps to bleed RAM and the more programs you have, the less free RAM you
have.
If you have a spare RAM slot, I'd suggest upgrading and also buying an
external drive - 160gb seems to be a lot cheaper these days - here in pricey Japan they cost
around $150.

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Roy G exclaimed (7/22/2007 8:23 PM):
> "vistaashley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
>> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
>> crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
>> Can anyone advise on what to do?
>>

> There really only is one sensible answer, and that is to go and buy yourself
> a new HDD.
>
> A 10 Gig HDD is far too small, even the cheapest of Laptops available today
> have at least 40 Gig.
>
> If you are using the machine for Digital Photography, then even a 300 Gig
> would not be too large.
>
> Roy G

What he said. I have 207GB of photos currently. Egads!

As far as 5GB of space left, are you sure? And are you sure it's the C:
drive that's full? If your drive is partitioned, and either your apps
are on a different drive than C:, or whatever app is complaining is not
on C:, it could be a completely different partition that's running out
of space.

At any rate 10GB is too small unless the only thing on C: is your
operating system. XP takes up 9.76GB on my C: partition (only thing
there), with 2.75GB free (hmmm... worrisome), and I'm receiving no errors.

And I thought my hubby had the smallest HD around. He recently swapped
out the old 13.5GB drive for my (very) old, relatively huge 40Gb drive.

Me? I have just under 1.5TB of storage, half in and half out of the case.

jmc

Allen

vistaashley wrote:
> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
> crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
> Can anyone advise on what to do?

First, are you using a PC or a Mac? Either one should have a program to
clean out temporary files, etc. Use Help to find out how to do that.

Second, if a PC, what operating system: Windows 98, XP or Vista? (I know
nothing about Macs. I would think that it must be Win98 or older or you
probably couldn't have gotten the newer ones to run at all.

Third, do you have USB capability? If so, external disc drives are very
cheap. As for internal discs, it is possible that the BIOS in that box
will not support an internal drive bigger than the one you have.

No matter what the answers to these questions are, you will have
constant trouble in today's world with that tiny (by today's standards)
disc. At one time that would have been a huge disc; th first hard discs
for the PC were only _one thousandth_ that big, but, as they say, that
was then, this is now.
Good luck.
Allen

Mike Cawood, HND BIT

"vistaashley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
> crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
> Can anyone advise on what to do?

I'm not surprised with such a microscopically small hard drive.
Mike.

Victek

> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
> crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
> Can anyone advise on what to do?

What OS are you using? Assuming you are running Windows you can:

1) Run the Disk Cleanup utility to delete unnecessary files.
2) Delete all security update folders from C:\Windows
3) Defrag the hard disk

As others have already mentioned, you may also want to think about getting a
larger hard drive, as 10 gig won't go far if you're taking/storing digital
photos.

Dave Cohen

Allen wrote:
> vistaashley wrote:
>> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
>> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
>> crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
>> Can anyone advise on what to do?
>>

> First, are you using a PC or a Mac? Either one should have a program to
> clean out temporary files, etc. Use Help to find out how to do that.
>
> Second, if a PC, what operating system: Windows 98, XP or Vista? (I know
> nothing about Macs. I would think that it must be Win98 or older or you
> probably couldn't have gotten the newer ones to run at all.
>
> Third, do you have USB capability? If so, external disc drives are very
> cheap. As for internal discs, it is possible that the BIOS in that box
> will not support an internal drive bigger than the one you have.
>
> No matter what the answers to these questions are, you will have
> constant trouble in today's world with that tiny (by today's standards)
> disc. At one time that would have been a huge disc; th first hard discs
> for the PC were only _one thousandth_ that big, but, as they say, that
> was then, this is now.
> Good luck.
> Allen

Congratulations Allen, as first responder to ask what the hell the op is
running you get the award of the week. Judging by the wording of the
post it doesn't sound like the drive is partitioned. Machines don't
normally come partitioned over and above small system recovery stuff
that Dell and Compaq but hopefully not too many others burden us with.
So if it was partitioned he would have created the partition and if he
knows enough to do that we wouldn't be seeing the post.
Dave Cohen

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

"vistaashley" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?æѦצ ҦӦ ?ͦԦ̦
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
> crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
> Can anyone advise on what to do?

encoding:Simplified chinese GB2312
So, our chinese friend...

AnyOldMouse

In article <nAFoi.5589$Nf4.4858@trndny08>,
"Jrgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After all he (correctly!) posted "Content-Type: text/plain" and thus his
> posting didn't even contain any font information or settings.

In his headers

charset is a specification of font. He probably is unaware of it.
--
anonymous

Jrgen Exner

AnyOldMouse wrote:
> In article <nAFoi.5589$Nf4.4858@trndny08>,
> "Jrgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> After all he (correctly!) posted "Content-Type: text/plain" and thus
>> his posting didn't even contain any font information or settings.

> In his headers

> charset is a specification of font. He probably is unaware of it.

No, it is not. As its name suggests it is a specification of the character
set aka encoding.
It has absolutely nothing to do with fonts.

Fonts would be e.g. Arial or Times Roman or Verdana or ....

jue

ASAAR

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:54:44 GMT, Jrgen Exner wrote:

>> charset is a specification of font. He probably is unaware of it.

> No, it is not. As its name suggests it is a specification of the character
> set aka encoding.
> It has absolutely nothing to do with fonts.
>
> Fonts would be e.g. Arial or Times Roman or Verdana or ....

Yes, sort of. Arial and Times Roman and Verdana are typefaces,
and fonts refer typefaces having a specific size and style. So 12
point Arial italic is one font, and 7 point Arial bold is another
font. See :

http://www.techterms.com/definition/typeface
http://www.techterms.com/definition/font