Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DSLR that adjusts shutter speed w/ focal length?

DSLR that adjusts shutter speed w/ focal length?

Richard H.

Do any DSLRs offer a mode to auto-adjust the shutter speed proportionate
to the focal length? (i.e., if I zoom out to 2x the FOV, cut the
shutter speed by 1/2 and open the aperture by 2x)

When shooting motorsports, the ideal shutter speed is a balance between
freezing the subject and conveying motion (e.g., blurred tires or panned
background). Not a problem when using a fixed lens, but a problem if
zooming in/out. (i.e., 1/2000 freezes more at 70mm than at 200mm).

Do models like 1DsII or D2Xs offer such a feature? If so, what's it called?

Cheers,
Richard

RichA

On Jul 21, 8:33 pm, "Richard H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do any DSLRs offer a mode to auto-adjust the shutter speed proportionate
> to the focal length? (i.e., if I zoom out to 2x the FOV, cut the
> shutter speed by 1/2 and open the aperture by 2x)
>
> When shooting motorsports, the ideal shutter speed is a balance between
> freezing the subject and conveying motion (e.g., blurred tires or panned
> background). Not a problem when using a fixed lens, but a problem if
> zooming in/out. (i.e., 1/2000 freezes more at 70mm than at 200mm).
>
> Do models like 1DsII or D2Xs offer such a feature? If so, what's it called?
>
> Cheers,
> Richard

"DSLRs for Dummies"

Seriously, do pro cameras ever have "idiot" modes?
You know, like a little face logo for portraits, a mountain for
landscapes, etc?
When you see that on a Nikon D2Xs, you'll know their days are
numbered.

David Kilpatrick

Richard H. wrote:
> Do any DSLRs offer a mode to auto-adjust the shutter speed proportionate
> to the focal length? (i.e., if I zoom out to 2x the FOV, cut the
> shutter speed by 1/2 and open the aperture by 2x)
>
> When shooting motorsports, the ideal shutter speed is a balance between
> freezing the subject and conveying motion (e.g., blurred tires or panned
> background). Not a problem when using a fixed lens, but a problem if
> zooming in/out. (i.e., 1/2000 freezes more at 70mm than at 200mm).
>
> Do models like 1DsII or D2Xs offer such a feature? If so, what's it
> called?

Yes, it is built in to the P mode (Program). For the last twenty years
or more, P mode has been linked to focal length in all SLRs, whether pro
or amateur.

The camera can not tell whether you are shooting sports (unless it has a
sports mode, which tends not to happen in pro models). But it can tell
what focal length your are using, and will keep the shutter speed as
short as possible at longer settings.

David

Pete D

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jul 21, 8:33 pm, "Richard H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Do any DSLRs offer a mode to auto-adjust the shutter speed proportionate
>> to the focal length? (i.e., if I zoom out to 2x the FOV, cut the
>> shutter speed by 1/2 and open the aperture by 2x)
>>
>> When shooting motorsports, the ideal shutter speed is a balance between
>> freezing the subject and conveying motion (e.g., blurred tires or panned
>> background). Not a problem when using a fixed lens, but a problem if
>> zooming in/out. (i.e., 1/2000 freezes more at 70mm than at 200mm).
>>
>> Do models like 1DsII or D2Xs offer such a feature? If so, what's it
>> called?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Richard

> "DSLRs for Dummies"
>
> Seriously, do pro cameras ever have "idiot" modes?
> You know, like a little face logo for portraits, a mountain for
> landscapes, etc?
> When you see that on a Nikon D2Xs, you'll know their days are
> numbered.

I assume that program mode on the decent ones can be "programmed" to do what
you you need, mine can.

Richard H.

David Kilpatrick wrote:
> Yes, it is built in to the P mode (Program). For the last twenty years
> or more, P mode has been linked to focal length in all SLRs, whether pro
> or amateur.

Hi, David.

Thanks for the reply. You're correct, of course. What I had in mind is
very similar, but a bit of a hybrid.

Put another way... Program mode but with a static exposure value,
instead of auto-metering. (Like Nikon's AE Lock behavour, but without
it being reset every time the meter turns off.) Ideally, it'd work with
shutter-priority or manual (my preferred mode).

The idea being to set the EV based on incident light (so different
vehicle colors don't skew the metering) but preserve the visual effect
by adjusting shutter speed across a range of focal lengths.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard H.

Pete D wrote:
> I assume that program mode on the decent ones can be "programmed" to do what
> you you need, mine can.

Hi, Pete.

Which camera are you shooting with, and how much can the Program-mode
behavior be customized?

Cheers,
Richard

Richard H.

RichA wrote:
> "DSLRs for Dummies"

Um, yeah. Maybe my follow-up to David makes it a bit clearer.

> Seriously, do pro cameras ever have "idiot" modes?
> You know, like a little face logo for portraits, a mountain for
> landscapes, etc?
> When you see that on a Nikon D2Xs, you'll know their days are
> numbered.

Mind you, that's a great spot for user-programmed profiles (I
believe the pro models do this). But the factory-set ones on prosumers
are a waste of space.

Pete D

"Richard H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QhCoi.24073$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pete D wrote:
>> I assume that program mode on the decent ones can be "programmed" to do
>> what you you need, mine can.

> Hi, Pete.
>
> Which camera are you shooting with, and how much can the Program-mode
> behavior be customized?
>
> Cheers,
> Richard

My K10D has four settings in hyper program mode.

1. Normal
2. Hi speed
3. Depth of field
4. MTF priority program is an AE mode that priorities the best aperture
setting for the attached lens.

Cheers.

Pete

Doug Jewell

"Richard H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zfCoi.23953$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Kilpatrick wrote:
>> Yes, it is built in to the P mode (Program). For the last twenty years or
>> more, P mode has been linked to focal length in all SLRs, whether pro or
>> amateur.

> Hi, David.
>
> Thanks for the reply. You're correct, of course. What I had in mind is
> very similar, but a bit of a hybrid.
>
> Put another way... Program mode but with a static exposure value, instead
> of auto-metering. (Like Nikon's AE Lock behavour, but without it being
> reset every time the meter turns off.) Ideally, it'd work with
> shutter-priority or manual (my preferred mode).
>
> The idea being to set the EV based on incident light (so different vehicle
> colors don't skew the metering) but preserve the visual effect by
> adjusting shutter speed across a range of focal lengths.

So you mean a "motion blur priority" mode? Kind of like shutter priority,
but instead of keeping the shutter fixed, it maintains the shutter speed
relative to the FL? so if the camera is at 100mm and I set the shutter to be
1/50, it would move up to 1/150 if I zoomed to 300mm. Can't say I know of
any that do it - shutter priority and dialling the shutter speed while you
zoom would be the closest. Not all that hard to do.

> Cheers,
> Richard

David Kilpatrick

Richard H. wrote:
> David Kilpatrick wrote:
>
>> Yes, it is built in to the P mode (Program). For the last twenty years
>> or more, P mode has been linked to focal length in all SLRs, whether
>> pro or amateur.

> Hi, David.
>
> Thanks for the reply. You're correct, of course. What I had in mind is
> very similar, but a bit of a hybrid.
>
> Put another way... Program mode but with a static exposure value,
> instead of auto-metering. (Like Nikon's AE Lock behavour, but without
> it being reset every time the meter turns off.) Ideally, it'd work with
> shutter-priority or manual (my preferred mode).
>
> The idea being to set the EV based on incident light (so different
> vehicle colors don't skew the metering) but preserve the visual effect
> by adjusting shutter speed across a range of focal lengths.

Pentax has one similar thing and I suspect Samsung does. It's a mode
where you set both shutter speed and aperture, and the ISO is varied,
and when you reach the limit of the ISO (which you can pre-set to avoid
using too low or high for the conditions) the camera will then alter the
other parameters.

However, I do not know of any camera which alters the plus-minus EV
setting to cope with changes in the colour of a car - just manual mode.

Nikon's better cameras use an external WB sensor on the prism, which
avoids auto WB errors being caused by a coloured subject filling the
frame. They do not use this sensor for exposure moderation though.

Your idea is fundamentally a good one - an external incident light
sensor on a probe, maybe, mounted on the hot shoe, to control the camera
according to the light conditions - sun going in etc - and not using TTL
metering.

So far it doesn't exist. Minolta bought in patents on a Zone System
viewfinder display which allowed the use to target one of seven zones,
and the camera would expose to match. They never used it.

David