Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 40 gigabits-per-second

40 gigabits-per-second

doS

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- She is a latecomer to the information
superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet
with a dizzying speed.

Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is
believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city
officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her
home computer -- many thousand times faster than most residential
connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the
connection.

The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the
sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without
any transponders in between, Jonsson said.

"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he
said.

Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate
the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.

"She's a brand new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California,
where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."

His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection. She
only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.

Vanguard

"doS" wrote in message news:gnxoi.325$(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
> Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad
> is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world,
> Karlstad city officials said.

<snip>
> "We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet
> speed," he said.

Yeah, except the medium used. Duh!

=?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Vanguard wrote:
> "doS" wrote in message news:gnxoi.325$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snip>
>> Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad
>> is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world,
>> Karlstad city officials said.

> <snip>
>> "We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet
>> speed," he said.

> Yeah, except the medium used. Duh!

Wonder how many 40Gbs servers she can connect to?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is
>believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city
>officials said.

With all the pr0n she'll be downloanding she will need to purchase one
of these:
http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/...ouse_free.html
--
Advertisement for Renault Sports Car
http://www.icomment.org/index.php/ma...33325:Video:63

WhzzKdd

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is
>>believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city
>>officials said.

> With all the pr0n she'll be downloanding she will need to purchase one
> of these:
> http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/...ouse_free.html

Heck yeah - I can dig it <g>

"Sorry boss, can't come running right now, I'm tied to my computer..."