Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Scanner

Canon Scanner

Ockham's Razor

Has anyone had any experience with the Canon 8600 F scanner for film?
It has almost un-believable resolution, USB 2 and a kajillion colors at
a very reasonable price.

I have a Nikon film scanner for slides and film strips so that possible
need is not an issue.

TIA

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

Ockham's Razor

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)-sjc.supernews.net>,
Ockham's Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with the Canon 8600 F scanner for film?
> It has almost un-believable resolution, USB 2 and a kajillion colors at
> a very reasonable price.
>
> I have a Nikon film scanner for slides and film strips so that possible
> need is not an issue.
>
> TIA

Whoops, should have said for prints and pictures.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

Bob Williams

Ockham's Razor wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)-sjc.supernews.net>,
> Ockham's Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any experience with the Canon 8600 F scanner for film?
>> It has almost un-believable resolution, USB 2 and a kajillion colors at
>> a very reasonable price.
>>
>> I have a Nikon film scanner for slides and film strips so that possible
>> need is not an issue.
>>
>> TIA

> Whoops, should have said for prints and pictures.

I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
Priced right too.
Bob Williams

Gladiator

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:13:46 -0700, Bob Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
>older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
>better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
>Priced right too.
>Bob Williams

I can't find that scanner locally but they have the Canon CanoScan
Scanner (CS8600F). Is that one better or about the same?

Bob Williams

Gladiator wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:13:46 -0700, Bob Williams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
>> older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
>> better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
>> Priced right too.
>> Bob Williams

> I can't find that scanner locally but they have the Canon CanoScan
> Scanner (CS8600F). Is that one better or about the same?

The 8400F is a discontinued model. Manufacturers do this routinely, so
they can introduce a NEW Model. In this case the NEW model is the 8600F.
I've never used it but I would suspect that it is at least as good as
the 8400F and the price is only slightly higher.

One thing I like about the 8400F is that I can purchase brand new
Generic ink cartridges for about 1/3 the price of Canon cartridges.
I have printed the same picture on the same Glossy photo paper, using
Canon and Generic ink. I could not see ANY difference.
Even after sitting around in my office for months, I still see no
difference.
I've never checked whether Generic ink cartridges are available for the
8600F. Sometimes the manufacturer will introduce a tiny physical change
in the cartridge so cartridges from the previous model do not fit.
It takes the Generic ink providers a while to tool up to make the new
cartridges. By that time, another "New and Improved" model is
introduced. It is a cat and mouse game.
Check http://www.mrinkman or http://www.printpal to see if they have
generics available for the 8600F.
Bob Williams

Ockham's Razor

In article <gHOoi.31919$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gladiator wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:13:46 -0700, Bob Williams
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >> I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
> >> older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
> >> better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
> >> Priced right too.
> >> Bob Williams

> > I can't find that scanner locally but they have the Canon CanoScan
> > Scanner (CS8600F). Is that one better or about the same?

I think it is the same thing. Check the Canon web site.

> One thing I like about the 8400F is that I can purchase brand new
> Generic ink cartridges for about 1/3 the price of Canon cartridges.
> I have printed the same picture on the same Glossy photo paper, using
> Canon and Generic ink. I could not see ANY difference.
> Even after sitting around in my office for months, I still see no
> difference.

Er, I think we are discussing scanners not printers.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

The Real Bev

Bob Williams wrote:

> Ockham's Razor wrote:
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)-sjc.supernews.net>,
>> Ockham's Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone had any experience with the Canon 8600 F scanner for film?
>>> It has almost un-believable resolution, USB 2 and a kajillion colors at
>>> a very reasonable price.
>>>
>>> I have a Nikon film scanner for slides and film strips so that possible
>>> need is not an issue.
>>>
>>> TIA

>> Whoops, should have said for prints and pictures.
>>

> I have the 8400F, which is very similar to the 8600F; just a year or two
> older. It does a super job on photos and documents and handles slides
> better than my venerable,(circa 2000), H-P Model S20 slide scanner
> Priced right too.

I'm happy with my 8400F. I've done b+w and color prints, 30-year-old 2.25
and 35mm slides and negs and everything has worked nicely. Even using it as
a copier is good, although it certainly takes too long -- but not as long as
going down to the copying place.

Earlier I bought a Prime-mumble 35mm slide/film scanner from Costco, but the
Canon is WAYYYY better.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Bob Williams

Ockham's Razor wrote:
> In article <gHOoi.31919$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gladiator wrote:

>>> I can't find that scanner locally but they have the Canon CanoScan
>>> Scanner (CS8600F). Is that one better or about the same?

> I think it is the same thing. Check the Canon web site.
>
>> One thing I like about the 8400F is that I can purchase brand new
>> Generic ink cartridges for about 1/3 the price of Canon cartridges.
>> I have printed the same picture on the same Glossy photo paper, using
>> Canon and Generic ink. I could not see ANY difference.
>> Even after sitting around in my office for months, I still see no
>> difference.

> Er, I think we are discussing scanners not printers.

Mea Culpa! I must have had an attack of Attention Deficit Disorder
I have the Canon 8400F SCANNER and the Canon Pixma iP3000 PRINTER
Both are excellent devices at a very good price.
As you noticed, the ink comments, of necessity, refer to the printer not
the scanner.
Bob Williams

Gladiator

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:00:21 -0700, Bob Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>One thing I like about the 8400F is that I can purchase brand new
>Generic ink cartridges for about 1/3 the price of Canon cartridges.

Ink? We are talking scanners, no?

Gladiator

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:58:13 -0700, Bob Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mea Culpa! I must have had an attack of Attention Deficit Disorder
>I have the Canon 8400F SCANNER and the Canon Pixma iP3000 PRINTER
>Both are excellent devices at a very good price.
>As you noticed, the ink comments, of necessity, refer to the printer not
>the scanner.
>Bob Williams

Hehe..you had a brain fart.