Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mother board and graphic cards.

Mother board and graphic cards.

Cliff

I tend not to read the reviews of new products until I need something and
then find that technology has passed me by. I will need a better graphics
card if I opt for Vista. I now find that the latest cards are for PCI e
slots rather
than AGP as on my three year old ASUS. A7N8X-X M/B. No doubt there are
still AGP cards on the market and many second hand ones around. I really
don't want to upgrade the MB as I also have two PCI cards fitted in my
computer (TV card and wireless LAN)
I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.
Cliff.

philo

"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I tend not to read the reviews of new products until I need something and
> then find that technology has passed me by. I will need a better graphics
> card if I opt for Vista. I now find that the latest cards are for PCI e
> slots rather
> than AGP as on my three year old ASUS. A7N8X-X M/B. No doubt there are
> still AGP cards on the market and many second hand ones around. I really
> don't want to upgrade the MB as I also have two PCI cards fitted in my
> computer (TV card and wireless LAN)
> I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
> proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.
> Cliff.

Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
do not even think of Vista...
You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP for a
while longer.

Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

Cliff

news:46a245f7$0$18465$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I tend not to read the reviews of new products until I need something and
>> then find that technology has passed me by. I will need a better graphics
>> card if I opt for Vista. I now find that the latest cards are for PCI e
>> slots rather
>> than AGP as on my three year old ASUS. A7N8X-X M/B. No doubt there are
>> still AGP cards on the market and many second hand ones around. I really
>> don't want to upgrade the MB as I also have two PCI cards fitted in my
>> computer (TV card and wireless LAN)
>> I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
>> proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.
>> Cliff.
>>

> Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
> do not even think of Vista...
> You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP for
> while longer.
>
> Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
> then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last year but
hanging on to my old 386.
Cliff.

philo

"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46a245f7$0$18465$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >
> > "Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I tend not to read the reviews of new products until I need something

and
> >> then find that technology has passed me by. I will need a better

graphics
> >> card if I opt for Vista. I now find that the latest cards are for PCI e
> >> slots rather
> >> than AGP as on my three year old ASUS. A7N8X-X M/B. No doubt there are
> >> still AGP cards on the market and many second hand ones around. I

really
> >> don't want to upgrade the MB as I also have two PCI cards fitted in my
> >> computer (TV card and wireless LAN)
> >> I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
> >> proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.
> >> Cliff.
> >>

> > Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
> > do not even think of Vista...
> > You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP

for
> > while longer.
> >
> > Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
> > then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

> Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
> Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last year

but
> hanging on to my old 386.
> Cliff.

Well, personally I'd just plain not use Vista at all...
though the machines I've tested it on were not quite cutting edge. My
feeling is that with some *very* good hardware,
Vista would probably be all right...but I don't see any advantages over XP.

As to your 386...I really love fooling with the old machines. I try to keep
"one of everything".

VIZ: a Kaypro running CP/M

an 8088, a 286, 386, 486, P-I, P-II etc. They are all fun to play with and I
don't have anything newer than an AMD-2800

Dr. Hackenbush

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:46a245f7$0$18465$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> >
>> > "Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> and

> graphics

> really
>> >>

>> > Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
>> > do not even think of Vista...
>> > You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP

> for
>> > while longer.
>> >
>> > Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
>> > then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

>> Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
>> Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last year

> but
>> hanging on to my old 386.
>> Cliff.
>>

> Well, personally I'd just plain not use Vista at all...
> though the machines I've tested it on were not quite cutting edge. My
> feeling is that with some *very* good hardware,
> Vista would probably be all right...but I don't see any advantages over
> XP.
>
> As to your 386...I really love fooling with the old machines. I try to
> keep
> "one of everything".
>
> VIZ: a Kaypro running CP/M
>
> an 8088, a 286, 386, 486, P-I, P-II etc. They are all fun to play with and
> don't have anything newer than an AMD-2800

I'm using an Nvidia FX 5200 128MB and its running Aero without any probs.
Its 3 years old now so probaly only worth peanuts 20 - 25 ebay
The 3D desktop whizzes around no problems

Plato

philo wrote:

> > I tend not to read the reviews of new products until I need something and
> > then find that technology has passed me by. I will need a better graphics
> > card if I opt for Vista. I now find that the latest cards are for PCI e
> > slots rather
> > than AGP as on my three year old ASUS. A7N8X-X M/B. No doubt there are
> > still AGP cards on the market and many second hand ones around. I really
> > don't want to upgrade the MB as I also have two PCI cards fitted in my
> > computer (TV card and wireless LAN)
> > I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
> > proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.

> Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
> do not even think of Vista...
> You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP for a
> while longer.

I agree. You'd really want a new mobo with the latest slots, a new video
card that can handle the new DirectX, etc.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

philo

<snip>.

> > Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
> > do not even think of Vista...
> > You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP

for a
> > while longer.

> I agree. You'd really want a new mobo with the latest slots, a new video
> card that can handle the new DirectX, etc.

That's a good point. I am not a gamer...but if you are...I understand that
Vista will be the only OS to support DirectX-10.

If that's true, then Vista might just be the OS for some high-end games...
but of course, only the newest H/W will work

Fred Kasner

philo wrote:
> "Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:46a245f7$0$18465$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> "Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> and

> graphics

> really
>>>>

>>> Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
>>> do not even think of Vista...
>>> You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP

> for
>>> while longer.
>>>
>>> Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
>>> then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

>> Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
>> Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last year

> but
>> hanging on to my old 386.
>> Cliff.
>>

> Well, personally I'd just plain not use Vista at all...
> though the machines I've tested it on were not quite cutting edge. My
> feeling is that with some *very* good hardware,
> Vista would probably be all right...but I don't see any advantages over XP.
>
> As to your 386...I really love fooling with the old machines. I try to keep
> "one of everything".
>
> VIZ: a Kaypro running CP/M
>
> an 8088, a 286, 386, 486, P-I, P-II etc. They are all fun to play with and I
> don't have anything newer than an AMD-2800

I had a Apple ][+ running CP/M that was a pleasure to use even if a
little slow. And I loved how well it ran math programs.

Unfortunately without asking me my daughter threw it out! Then again
there was also the time my parents gave away my rather large custom size
train set. At that time my estimate was it was worth about $35,000.
Thank God my daughter hasn't gotten her hands on my collection of
cameras or my Solomon Park case clock.

FK

philo

<snip>

> >> Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
> >> Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last

year
> > but
> >> hanging on to my old 386.
> >> Cliff.
> >>

> > Well, personally I'd just plain not use Vista at all...
> > though the machines I've tested it on were not quite cutting edge. My
> > feeling is that with some *very* good hardware,
> > Vista would probably be all right...but I don't see any advantages over

XP.

> > As to your 386...I really love fooling with the old machines. I try to

keep
> > "one of everything".
> >
> > VIZ: a Kaypro running CP/M
> >
> > an 8088, a 286, 386, 486, P-I, P-II etc. They are all fun to play with

and I
> > don't have anything newer than an AMD-2800
> >

> I had a Apple ][+ running CP/M that was a pleasure to use even if a
> little slow. And I loved how well it ran math programs.
>
> Unfortunately without asking me my daughter threw it out! Then again
> there was also the time my parents gave away my rather large custom size
> train set. At that time my estimate was it was worth about $35,000.
> Thank God my daughter hasn't gotten her hands on my collection of
> cameras or my Solomon Park case clock.

Well my daughter knows better than to throw any of my stuff out...

but I do recall that when my girlfriend first moved in here many years
ago...

I came home from work and found that she had thrown all my tea in the
garbage!

After I had a nice yelling fit...she pointed out to me that it was:

1) at least ten years old

2) that i am a coffee drinker and *never* drink tea

Had to admit that she was right, I calmed down and we've gotten along just
fine ever since!