Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer Virus Question

Computer Virus Question

Mike Easter

Vanguard wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

I'm trying to figure out how 335 did that. There are 4 of hir posts in
this thread

.... of which the 3rd of the above is the QP one, while the rest are not.

All of them were posted to GG. I logged into GG to try to see what I
could do to make it QP, but I can't figure out how to do it with the GG
interface.

My OE6 SP1 w/ OEQF handles that particular version of QP in the GG
message OK, but typically it does not handle some versions of QP very
well.

--
Mike Easter

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> I have XP (sp2). I recently began having a problem where I get
> directed to advertising websites instead of the actual url that I
> click on. I ran AVG and Adaware and both say the computer is clean.
> I've also tried to do a system restore but after going through the
> restore process Windows gives a message saying the computer can't be
> restored to the date I selected . I've tried three different restore
> point/dates without success.
>
> Am I dealing with a a virus or spyware here? I would appreciate any
> good ideas you can offer for how to fix this. I'm pretty close to
> doing a clean reinstall at this point.

Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
place to download their application.

No person of sound mind would download files from a hack site that
requires a password to access the unknown files when they are available
directly from the vendors.

Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

The following links will take you to vendors sites for Spy Ware / Ad
ware removal tools and also for Antivirus tools. After you install any
of these applications and update them, run them in SAFE MODE to allow
them to properly clean your system.

First, make sure that your Java is updated to the latest version:
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

These sites are for downloading Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware tools, in
order that I would use them myself:

Dave Lipman's tools:
Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

AdAwareSE can be found here:
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

SmitRem.exe by Noahdfear's SmitFraud, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, removal tool
http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/click...click.php?id=1

--
Leythos - (E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 to email me)

and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I was concerned about some companies that are jumpimg on the antivirus
>bandwagon who might in fact have less than honest intentions. There
>are hundreds of products out there and it's difficult to verify which
>ones are the most safe and reliable.

One of SpyBots features is a thing called TeaTimer.

Be sure to have that running at all times, it will warn you if
anything is attempting to access the registry (to run on startup)

-TeaTimer is buggy as you can't read the yes, no question.
If this is a problem then use Regprot
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/freeutilities/regprot.php
--

http://www.freewayblogger.com/images_3/ndied.jpg

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have XP (sp2). I recently began having a problem where I get
> directed to advertising websites instead of the actual url that I
> click on. I ran AVG and Adaware and both say the computer is clean.

Try some additional anti-virus and anti-spyware applications.

http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm

Vanguard

"Mike Easter" wrote in message
news:46a249f8$0$97216$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...

> Vanguard wrote:
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...

Maybe Google is playing around again with changing their headers and
format.

> My OE6 SP1 w/ OEQF handles that particular version of QP in the GG
> message OK, but typically it does not handle some versions of QP very
> well.

I can't use QE-QuoteFix anymore. It stopped functioning after applying
Service Pack 2 to Windows XP. A link at their site explains why
(something to do with a different rending control being used after
applying SP-2). They also mention a workaround but, as I recall, you
had to uncheck the option to "always read messages in plain-text" and
I'm not going to do that.