Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Opinions on Reference DVD's?

Opinions on Reference DVD's?

Jordan

I'm getting a new TV delivered tomorrow, one of the Samsung LED DLP
sets... any opinions on reference quality DVDs for calibration and
stuff?

Historically people refer to the Fifth Element or The Matrix, but a
lot of time has passed since those DVDs came out and what was once
reference quality (The Matrix in particular) seems outdated now
(compared to the new boxed set versions of the flicks.)

Here's the set:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...=HLT5687SX/XAA

Here's a list of stuff I can fire up:

http://jordanlund.dvdaf.com/owned

- Jordan

Spurious Response

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:09:23 -0700, Jordan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm getting a new TV delivered tomorrow, one of the Samsung LED DLP
>sets... any opinions on reference quality DVDs for calibration and
>stuff?
>
>Historically people refer to the Fifth Element or The Matrix, but a
>lot of time has passed since those DVDs came out and what was once
>reference quality (The Matrix in particular) seems outdated now
>(compared to the new boxed set versions of the flicks.)

First of all, you need not just the new, exciting TV, you also need one
or both of the HD formats to get the best picture.

The Fifth Element is BluRay, and Matrix would have been HD DVD only
except the bat's turds rode both sides of the fence.

Anyway, IF you have a discerning eye, you WILL notice the graininess of
standard DVD on the new set. An HD format is in your future.

This calibration disc is a combo disc that works in both standard and HD
DVD method. So it will work now, and later if you get an HD DVD set up.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...003634&sr=1-12

http://www.videoessentials.com/

Top quality stuff. I have the Laser Disc, the DVD, and now their combo
disc.

Truly top notch stuff.

Derek Janssen

Spurious Response wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:09:23 -0700, Jordan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I'm getting a new TV delivered tomorrow, one of the Samsung LED DLP
>>sets... any opinions on reference quality DVDs for calibration and
>>stuff?
>>
>>Historically people refer to the Fifth Element or The Matrix, but a
>>lot of time has passed since those DVDs came out and what was once
>>reference quality (The Matrix in particular) seems outdated now
>>(compared to the new boxed set versions of the flicks.)

> First of all, you need not just the new, exciting TV, you also need one
> or both of the HD formats to get the best picture.
>
> The Fifth Element is BluRay, and Matrix would have been HD DVD only
> except the bat's turds rode both sides of the fence.

<registers what is commonly referred to as "a Ruthless People moment" 0_0 >

Um, believe he was asking about the modern *equivalent* of Fifth Element
and Matrix as historic calibrators of one's first DVD player, back in
the 90's?...

(All other info in the post is relatively valid, but that one...wwwWOW.)

Derek Janssen

sandy58

On Jul 21, 9:02 am, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Spurious Response wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:09:23 -0700, Jordan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>I'm getting a new TV delivered tomorrow, one of the Samsung LED DLP
> >>sets... any opinions on reference quality DVDs for calibration and
> >>stuff?

> >>Historically people refer to the Fifth Element or The Matrix, but a
> >>lot of time has passed since those DVDs came out and what was once
> >>reference quality (The Matrix in particular) seems outdated now
> >>(compared to the new boxed set versions of the flicks.)

> > First of all, you need not just the new, exciting TV, you also need one
> > or both of the HD formats to get the best picture.

> > The Fifth Element is BluRay, and Matrix would have been HD DVD only
> > except the bat's turds rode both sides of the fence.

> <registers what is commonly referred to as "a Ruthless People moment" 0_0 >
>
> Um, believe he was asking about the modern *equivalent* of Fifth Element
> and Matrix as historic calibrators of one's first DVD player, back in
> the 90's?...
>
> (All other info in the post is relatively valid, but that one...wwwWOW.)
>
> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)

LOL. Nice one, DJ

Derek Janssen

sandy58 wrote:

> On Jul 21, 9:02 am, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Spurious Response wrote:

>>> First of all, you need not just the new, exciting TV, you also need one
>>>or both of the HD formats to get the best picture.

>>> The Fifth Element is BluRay, and Matrix would have been HD DVD only
>>>except the bat's turds rode both sides of the fence.

>><registers what is commonly referred to as "a Ruthless People moment" 0_0 >
>>
>>Um, believe he was asking about the modern *equivalent* of Fifth Element
>>and Matrix as historic calibrators of one's first DVD player, back in
>>the 90's?...
>>
>>(All other info in the post is relatively valid, but that one...wwwWOW.)

> LOL. Nice one, DJ

Well, to be honest, I was sloppy and misread it at first and thought the
OP was asking about adjusting a hi-def player--
And wondered "Yeesh...Why would he be using Fifth Element??"

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> sandy58 wrote:

> >><registers what is commonly referred to as "a Ruthless People moment" 0_0 >
> >>
> >>Um, believe he was asking about the modern *equivalent* of Fifth Element
> >>and Matrix as historic calibrators of one's first DVD player, back in
> >>the 90's?...
> >>
> >>(All other info in the post is relatively valid, but that one...wwwWOW.)

> > LOL. Nice one, DJ

> Well, to be honest, I was sloppy and misread it at first and thought the
> OP was asking about adjusting a hi-def player--
> And wondered "Yeesh...Why would he be using Fifth Element??"
>
> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)

reference dvds -

fifth element superbit
the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
blade 2
lord of the rings extended editions
spiderman 2 superbit

-- Animix

TB

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

(snip)

> reference dvds -
>
> fifth element superbit
> the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
> blade 2
> lord of the rings extended editions
> spiderman 2 superbit

Add to that the Peter Jackson King Kong extended edition.

T.B.

Jordan

On Jul 21, 1:07 pm, "TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > reference dvds -

> > fifth element superbit
> > the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
> > blade 2
> > lord of the rings extended editions
> > spiderman 2 superbit

> Add to that the Peter Jackson King Kong extended edition.

Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking
for... and yes, I have HD-DVD. On my 1080i set though I could barely
see a difference between that and regular DVD. I don't have everything
hooked up to the new set yet, but I'll look forward to running up some
of those.

- Jordan

Derek Janssen

Jordan wrote:

> On Jul 21, 1:07 pm, "TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>>reference dvds -

>>>fifth element superbit
>>>the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
>>>blade 2
>>>lord of the rings extended editions
>>>spiderman 2 superbit

>>Add to that the Peter Jackson King Kong extended edition.

> Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking
> for... and yes, I have HD-DVD.

Batman Begins. Next question.

Derek Janssen (well, why didn't you say that?)
(E-Mail Removed)

Spurious Response

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:21:38 -0700, Jordan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jul 21, 1:07 pm, "TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > reference dvds -

>> > fifth element superbit
>> > the eagles - hell freezes over <or farewell 1, both are superclean>
>> > blade 2
>> > lord of the rings extended editions
>> > spiderman 2 superbit

>> Add to that the Peter Jackson King Kong extended edition.

>Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking
>for... and yes, I have HD-DVD. On my 1080i set though I could barely
>see a difference between that and regular DVD. I don't have everything
>hooked up to the new set yet, but I'll look forward to running up some
>of those.
>
>- Jordan

Well then. Look at your Std copy of Full Metal Jacket, and then look
at the HD DVD version.

Both are very grainy, but the difference between the HD output and the
Std are clearly visible and clearly show the reasons for the change in
the industry to meet the demands of the new displays available (actually,
the demands of the viewers thereof).

In fact, two grainy releases like this may actually be better
indicators of said differences.

The Std (collector's) and HD releases of King Kong would be examples of
two where the differences are much harder to take note of, but they are
there, nonetheless. Playback of any Std disks are required to be done on
an old, non-upconverting player if you wish to see the differences.
Upconverted playback will hide some of the differences in some cases.