Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Should I finally retire my trusty old SLR?

Should I finally retire my trusty old SLR?

GoFlatty

I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
Cheers!

Pete D

"GoFlatty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
> my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
> lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
> very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
> don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
> Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
> shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
> Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
> invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
> Cheers!

Perhaps a new scanner is in order? What res can you scan at? I have a Canon
8400F and that does a nice scan.

Matt Ion

GoFlatty wrote:
> I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
> my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
> lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
> very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
> don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
> Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
> shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
> Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
> invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
> Cheers!

Only you can really decide whether you're ready to retire the SLR. It
really depends on whether the Powershot fits all your needs, and whether
you can do without the additional control and flexibility offered by an
SLR... now and in the future (if you, for example, determine next month
that you need a wider lens than either now provides).

If you have the space, I'd say take the SLR along on the trip, and see
if you can do with NOT using it. If the Powershot handles everything
you need it to, then you can probably put the SLR away in a closet. If
you find you're pulling the Nikon out because you just can't pull off
some shots on the digital... well, there's your answer - you still need
the SLR's features and functions, in which case I'd say picking up a
suitable Nikon dSLR to go with your existing lenses is the best
"upgrade" path.

Mike Russell

"GoFlatty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
> my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
> lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
> very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
> don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
> Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
> shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
> Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
> invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
> Cheers!

Go with a new digital Nikon SLR, and never look back. The free film alone
is a great selling point, and an invitation to experiment and learn more
than you would with film. Check that that the new camera is compatible with
your old lenses' autofocus. You may need to go to a D80 if the lens
requires that the focus motor be in the camera.
--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jul 20, 7:13 pm, GoFlatty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
> my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
> lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
> very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
> don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
> Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
> shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
> Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
> invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
> Cheers!

My wife bought a new film Nikon a few years ago. A year later we
bought a D50. We kept the N75, considering it as a backup camera.
So far we have not used it since we bought the D50 (we subsequently
bought a digital P&S as a backup). So we are faced with the same
question. So far our reasoning is that we will not get much selling
the N75, so we are still keeping it, just in case there is ever some
reason why we must shoot something with film.

David J Taylor

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
[]
> My wife bought a new film Nikon a few years ago. A year later we
> bought a D50. We kept the N75, considering it as a backup camera.
> So far we have not used it since we bought the D50 (we subsequently
> bought a digital P&S as a backup). So we are faced with the same
> question. So far our reasoning is that we will not get much selling
> the N75, so we are still keeping it, just in case there is ever some
> reason why we must shoot something with film.

I sold my old 35mm Nikon kit - it hadn't been used since I went digital
ten years ago. I would like to think it went to a good home, but no-one
wanted to buy it so I just sold to a shop. Projector, enlarger, the whole
lot.

Be sure the batteries are removed from stored kit.

Cheers,
David

Raphael Bustin

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:13:23 -0000, GoFlatty <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
>my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
>lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
>very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
>don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
>Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
>shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
>Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
>invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
>Cheers!

It's been a couple of years since my (film) Nikons got any use.

I scanned a few thousand frames of 35 mm in my day, but there's
no good reason to continue shooting 35 mm. IMO, YMMV, etc.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Philip Homburg

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Raphael Bustin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I scanned a few thousand frames of 35 mm in my day, but there's
>no good reason to continue shooting 35 mm. IMO, YMMV, etc.

For me, it's the only way I can use my lenses with a pleasant
user-interface

ASAAR

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:13:23 -0000, GoFlatty wrote:

> I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
> my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
> lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
> very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
> don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
> Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
> shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
> Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
> invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???

I'd recommend getting a new Nikon body and taking it along with
the Powershot, but only if you have enough time to get accustomed to
using it before the trip. Otherwise use the Powershot as the main
camera and the F50 for shots that the Powershot may not do as good a
job as the F50. I also used Nikon film bodies for many years before
getting some Powershots (S10 and S20) seven years ago. The S20 was
good enough to retire the Nikons. Last year I got a Powershot A620,
which I'm pleased to say has been an excellent little camera. But
this March I finally broke down and got my first DSLR, the last of
the few remaining D50s. Now I'm using all of my old Nikkor lenses
once again.

There's no contest though - the D50 is a much more capable camera
than the A620, although they both have their advantages. Nikon's
inexpensive 55-200mm VR lens is not just a bargain, it's a pretty
good lens too, reputedly much better optically that the older non-VR
version. I'll have to test it soon to see if my old 75-300mm Nikkor
has any significant advantages on the long end of the zoom range.
As much as I like the 55-200mm VR lens, I can see why Nikon's
18-200mm VR lens has been so popular. If your wife has also been
using the Nikon film camera(s), maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to
get a DSLR and share the three between you and your wife - the SLR,
the DSLR and the A640. Personally, I have no desire to ever use any
old Nikon film SLR again. Not because of the SLRs themselves. I
just don't want to have to put up with getting scratched negatives
from photo labs, nor risk the possibility of lost negatives. As I
was waiting for prints churning out of the photo processor, the
woman next to me asked the person waiting on her if they'd lose her
negatives again. When it comes to evaluating film SLRs vs DSLRs,
the negatives are clearly with the film SLRs(p.i.) both figuratively
and literally.

ray

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:13:23 +0000, GoFlatty wrote:

> I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
> my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
> lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
> very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
> don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
> Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
> shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
> Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
> invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
> Cheers!

I haven't retired mine. IMHO film and digital each have their place.