Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Need help deciphering some code

Need help deciphering some code

Cogito

The following site does exactly what I am trying to do but, no matter
how much I study the code I cannot figure out how it is done.

I want to have a page with list of radio station links and one 'media
player' panel. When a link is clicked that station should start
playing.

Can someone please make up a clear code example how this is done?

In the following link, most, but not all stations are working. The two
ABC stations on the right of the 4th row from the top do work.

The link:
http://www.radioguide.fm/internet_radio_Australia

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Cogito ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly typed...

> The following site does exactly what I am trying to do but, no matter
> how much I study the code I cannot figure out how it is done.
>
> I want to have a page with list of radio station links and one 'media
> player' panel. When a link is clicked that station should start
> playing.
>
> Can someone please make up a clear code example how this is done?
>
> In the following link, most, but not all stations are working. The two
> ABC stations on the right of the 4th row from the top do work.
>
> The link:
> http://www.radioguide.fm/internet_radio_Australia

The links for the radio stations are of the fashion;

<a onclick="go('3awradau');" href="#">

If javascript is available, this calls the function go() which is below;

function go(korteNaam){
if(korteNaam.length > 1){
setSource(korteNaam);
}
return false;
}

this basically calls the function setSource() which is below;

function setSource(zenderNaam){
if (d.getElementById){
d.getElementById("player").src="player.php?zender= " + zenderNaam;
}else if(d.all){
d.all.player.src="player.php?zender=" + zenderNaam;
}
}

s/he also specifies (outside of the functions);

var d = document;
var w = window;

what setSource() does is set the source of the element which has the id
"player" (which will be the media player) to player.php?zender=(whichever
station selected)

It could be a little more graceful by using something like

which should allow it to work even if javascript is not available to the
end-user.

Hope that helps,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Mail address will bounce. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | Take the DOG. out!

Cogito

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:03:10 +0100, "nice.guy.nige"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>While the city slept, Cogito ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly typed...
>
>> The following site does exactly what I am trying to do but, no matter
>> how much I study the code I cannot figure out how it is done.
>>
>> I want to have a page with list of radio station links and one 'media
>> player' panel. When a link is clicked that station should start
>> playing.
>>
>> Can someone please make up a clear code example how this is done?
>>
>> In the following link, most, but not all stations are working. The two
>> ABC stations on the right of the 4th row from the top do work.
>>
>> The link:
>> http://www.radioguide.fm/internet_radio_Australia

>The links for the radio stations are of the fashion;
>
><a onclick="go('3awradau');" href="#">
>
>If javascript is available, this calls the function go() which is below;
>
>function go(korteNaam){
>if(korteNaam.length > 1){
>setSource(korteNaam);
>}
>return false;
>}
>
>this basically calls the function setSource() which is below;
>
>function setSource(zenderNaam){
> if (d.getElementById){
> d.getElementById("player").src="player.php?zender= " + zenderNaam;
> }else if(d.all){
> d.all.player.src="player.php?zender=" + zenderNaam;
> }
>}
>
>s/he also specifies (outside of the functions);
>
>var d = document;
>var w = window;
>
>what setSource() does is set the source of the element which has the id
>"player" (which will be the media player) to player.php?zender=(whichever
>station selected)
>
>It could be a little more graceful by using something like

>which should allow it to work even if javascript is not available to the
>end-user.
>
>Hope that helps,
>Nige

Thanks for your reply. I'm familiar with HTML but I'm not sure how to
use your code.
Would you be able to surround your code with the necessary html to
make it a working sample of 2 playing stations?
If I saw a simple working example I may understand it better and be
able to adapt it to my needs.
Thanks in advance.