Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > how to configure remote installation

how to configure remote installation

Nijesh

some one help me to how to install this

=?Utf-8?B?TWVydnluIEtpbmc=?=

Hi Nijesh (There's a lot of info, so you better Print!)

In order to configure remote installation or RIS, you need to make sure you
have a DHCP server, Active Directory with DNS running and separate 4-gigabyte
(GB) or larger disk drive for RIS server folder (RIS cannot be installed on
the same partition as the system volume or boot volume.). In order to Install
RIS the drive needs to be formatted or converted to with NTFS.

If you have not already installed Remote Installation Services through
Control Panel or through an unattended Setup answer file, open Add or Remove
Programs and use Add/Remove Windows Components to install the RIS component.

In the wizard, click Next.
You are prompted for the following information:

Remote Installation Services Drive and Directory
Enter the disk drive and directory where you want to install Remote
Installation Services (RIS). The disk should be dedicated to the RIS server
and contain enough space to store as many client images as you plan to host
with this server. The recommended minimum amount of space is four gigabytes.
Initial Settings
Select Respond to client computers requesting service if you want the RIS
server to begin responding to client computers as soon as you finish the
wizard. Select Do not respond to unknown client computers if you want the RIS
server to respond only to prestaged client computers in Active Directory. You
can change these settings later.
Source Path
Enter the location of the client images. This can be either the compact disc
or a shared folder that contains the installation files.
Friendly Description and Help Text
Enter the friendly description for the client computer installation. This
description will be displayed to users or clients of this server. The Help
text describes the operating system installation choices to users or clients
of RIS.

To configure Remote Installation Services

1.Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
2.In the console tree, right-click the applicable Remote Installation
Services (RIS) server.
3.Click Properties, and then in the Properties dialog box, click the Remote
Install tab.
4.In the Remote Install dialog box, select or clear check boxes as needed:
Respond to client computers requesting service
Select this option to enable the RIS server to begin responding to client
computers. Clear it to prevent the RIS server from responding.

Do not respond to unknown client computers: Select this option if you want
this RIS server to respond only to prestaged client computers in Active
Directory. Clear it if you want this RIS server to respond to any client
computer requesting remote installation.

•To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Domain Admins group
or the Enterprise Admins group in Active Directory, or you must have been
delegated the appropriate authority. As a security best practice, consider
using Run as to perform this procedure.

•If you want to manage the RIS server from a computer running Windows XP,
install the Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools Pack on the computer
running Windows XP. To manage a RIS server from any remote computer, use
Remote Desktop for Administration.

The client machine needs a Pre-Boot eXecution Environment (PXE) DHCP–based
boot ROM version 1.00 or greater.

By the way, a RIS server cannot be a multihomed computer; that is, it can
contain only one network adapter.

--
Mervyn King (MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA)

"Nijesh" wrote: