Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question on Re-installing OS

Question on Re-installing OS

GM

I am going to use my computer manufacturer's System Retore discs to
re-install my OS and bring the computer back to day one when it came
from the factory. The restore process has an option to only re-format
the C partion and leave the D partion (same drive) alone. I also have
separate F drive installed.

My question: I have programs installed on all three drives C, D, and
F. Shuld I unsintall the ones on D and F prior to using the discs so
their is no problems when re-installing the programs over themselves?
Thanks.

GM

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

GM wrote:
> I am going to use my computer manufacturer's System Retore discs to
> re-install my OS and bring the computer back to day one when it came
> from the factory. The restore process has an option to only re-format
> the C partion and leave the D partion (same drive) alone. I also have
> separate F drive installed.
>
> My question: I have programs installed on all three drives C, D, and
> F. Shuld I unsintall the ones on D and F prior to using the discs so
> their is no problems when re-installing the programs over themselves?

Probably would be better to uninstall. Just to be safe(r).

Vanguard

"GM" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am going to use my computer manufacturer's System Retore discs to
> re-install my OS and bring the computer back to day one when it came
> from the factory. The restore process has an option to only re-format
> the C partion and leave the D partion (same drive) alone. I also have
> separate F drive installed.
>
> My question: I have programs installed on all three drives C, D, and
> F. Shuld I unsintall the ones on D and F prior to using the discs so
> their is no problems when re-installing the programs over themselves?
> Thanks.
>
> GM

When you do the fresh install, the registry in that new instance of the
OS will not have any references to the software that you have yet to
install. All those folders and files left behind in the other
partitions/drives become orphaned (the new OS and its registry won't
have any references to them). You don't need to uninstall anything
since you will have to reinstall everything after the fresh OS install.

Instead what you might want to do if you have the disk space is create a
archive & compress it all into a .zip file under \OldStuff. Once the
copy or .zip operation has completed successfully, delete all the old
folders (since you have them saved). Basically you moved all folders
and files under \OldStuff. Then when you reinstall all those
applications, they create their folders again and you don't end up with
old stuff there that could cause problems. If you need files after the
app reinstalls, like config files that you can slide in, then you have
them under the \OldStuff folder or archive. Eventually you'll find that
you don't need anything from \OldStuff and can delete it.

For your data files, you should backup those to some other drive or
removable media than where you will be reinstalling your apps. When you
are done, you can move the data back. You could put a copy of them
under \OldStuff but remember that you are putzing around with the hard
drive where is your data. It will be easy to later restore your data
files back to their original folders from \OldStuff on the hard drive
but you should already being doing backups of your important data files.