Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer (Vista) Keeps Restarting

Computer (Vista) Keeps Restarting

- Bobb -

CB,

Tell the seller that this is not a pc issue, it's a customer sat issue.

I looked again, but nowhere in your replies did I read that you
1. removed the video card, or
2. have an issue with non-youtube stuff.

Could you tell us:
1. Is the issue only with youtube ?
2. Did you buy the pc from the factory with that video card installed ?
3. If you remove the video card and use just integrated video, does it
work ok - or still reboot ?

Their 'testing' is going to be running a diagnostic and if your issue only
happens in response to 'some youtube instruction' then have them load that
same video at the store. Even then if it fails, the pc manuafacturer will
say " not my problem' and if card is ok in another PC, nvidia would say
'not my problem'. The SELLER (CompUSA) is the person to ' make it work'
or issue refund. ( you can understand thaty the local store/tech's job is
not to be a consultant)
If built in video OK, then have them refund $$ on the nvidia card.
If built in video NOT OK, then not video card etc.
Again, it's the local store manager's problem. Not your's.
You need to tell him that it is a customer sat issue. Make it HIS problem.
Ask for district / regional mgr's name. His boss etc.
But, I would suggest you determine answers to ... is it system/video card
or driver problem so you can 'agrue a bit' and know the situation.

Good luck,
Bobb.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> go to www.nvidia.com to get latest driver for video card.
> There may have been an update to Vista since video driver installed.
> Nvidia is good about having latest/greatest driver online asap.
>

> "CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello All
>>
>> Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
>> computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
>> running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
>> just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
>> Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
>> any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
>> likes each other.
>>
>> I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
>> sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
>> guess it's true.......they are all alike!
>>
>> Thanks in advance. Any help would be great!
>>
>> CB ~

Paul

CB wrote:
> Well after getting this GD thing back from "Comp-lete Morons USA" I
> had to resinstall everything back in it and it still wants to freeze
> up periodically after they told me that all of the hardware checks out
> and that it has to be a software issue. They say the next step is to
> send it off to HP....Nice.....
>
> The fact is, as I have seen other posters mention, is that I have
> dreaded this moment. I did the same with XP as well. The dreaded 3
> months of setting this thing up to where it works, for what it is you
> want it to do, and when and HOW you want to do it. It's all a matter
> of getting used to it.
>
> But the part that gets me is that WHY in the hell should a person have
> to put up with things like it just restarting or freezing up anytime
> it wants when it's "BRAND NEW!" I guess it's just me, the guy behind
> the keyboard and mouse. Well.....maybe this link isn't a joke at
> all... http://www.dysan.net/Weird/show/48.html I really don't look
> forward to the day that I'm driving down the road and the wheels on
> the car just decide to lose a connection to the steering wheel.
>
> OH, I guess that was my printer the other day and MY COMPUTER! Hmmmm,
> funny though how it found the printer, reinstalled itself and found
> the proper driver and they STILL weren't Communicating?!? What the
> HELL, did they get in a fight in the middle of the night? Not enough
> electron love between the 2 of them I guess...
>
> Anyway, I'm off to research more info on how to make my brand new
> computer BETTER! Or maybe just find a way to make, my brand NEW
> computer, not freeze up for at least a year. Long live computer geeks
> and the people who put up with computer "NOOBS" like myself.
> Respectfully.....Thank You! I'm sure like everything else in life and
> time, they will make a computer more like a car. And if not, we can
> at least expect them to get better.
>
> Thanks for all of the posts!!!
>
> CB ~

There are a couple tests you could try for hardware. I don't know
whether Vista will be an issue with the use of these or not.

Orthos (stress prime) runs two copies of Prime95 stability test. The idea
here is, a calculation with a known answer is being done. If an error
occurs, either the RAM is bad, the CPU has a stability problem, or the
Northbridge (which connects RAM to CPU) has an issue. I would not
accept a pre-built computer, unless this program will run for hours
without a problem. If the computer shuts off within a minute of using
this, then something is wrong with the CPU cooling. Or the power supply
is weak and easily overloaded. (A 7300GT and a Core2 Duo is a light
load for any PC power supply, so there is no excuse for the power
supply to "fall over". I would estimate the 7300GT at no more than
35W and the Core2 Duo TDP is 65W.)

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

There is a picture of the Orthos program window, on the left here:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles...-2T-Orthos.jpg

You can also run programs like 3DMark. The 3DMark2001SE program has a
demo loop you can leave running overnight. The benchmark part of the
program is also a reasonable stress test. Since you've already tested with
Orthos, if problems arise at this point, it is the fault of the video card.

I selected the 2001 version, as it is only a 40MB download. The later
versions are even more stressful for a modern video card, but they are
also a larger download.

I would want any computer I own, to pass these two programs for hours
on end.

If you can easily reproduce the problem with your computer, with a
simple program, that will make it easier for your warranty techs,
to decide whether to fix it themselves, or send it out. You'd be
surprised, what tests some of these guys have never heard of.

Paul

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:00:35 -0700, "dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello All
>>>
>>> Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
>>> computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
>>> running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
>>> just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
>>> Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
>>> any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
>>> likes each other.
>>>
>>> I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
>>> sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
>>> guess it's true.......they are all alike!
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance. Any help would be great!
>>>
>>> CB ~

>> Did you purchase the system without the video card? If so remove the card
>> and try running your media files on just the embedded video. If it still
>> fails, call their tech support and start the repair process. Granted the
>> thing could be on fire and they will ask you to reload their OS so be sure
>> and back up all your files you want to keep prior to calling.
>>
>> another thought... what are the power requirements of your video card and
>> what is the output of your powersupply? Some manufacturers like to go cheap
>> on powersupplies.
>>
>> good luck.
>>
>> Dennis

CB

Sorry I haven't been back for.....weeks! I, quite frankly, just
pretty much have given up the fight with this thing for a bit and just
recently started using it again.

I appreciate all of the advice and I WILL be taking this back to the
store and asking more questions. I just am not looking forward to
reinstalling everything once again.

I did notice the other day while messing around with Microsoft Flight
Simulator X that my wife had gotten me shortly after we got this "New
and Improved" computer.... Anyway.... I was just testing the full
out effects of the game with every graphic slider pushed as far right
(Very Detailed) just to see how it would react. It did better than
what I thought and I messed around in some high graphic areas to see
what kind of frame rates would appear and it did bog down to 5-7 FPS
in a few areas but for the most part stayed around 18-22. And then,
while on approach into KPHX (Pheonix) It just froze up and a message
appeared that said something to the effect of "You're out of
memory...close the game and then restart the game..." Anyway, I'm not
sure what that meant FOR SURE but I know it's not a good thing.

Just knowing that FSX is such a memory hog I'm not surprised but yet I
am because of the way it presented itself. Just another blow to my
electronic ego I guess.

Anyway, this is yet another reason I'm thinking it COULD be the video
card. Or maybe I've just got too many things runnning in the
background. I have shutdown all of the services and startup programs
except for the Microsoft programs. Even though I would bet to think
that there is STILL plenty running that doesn't need to be.

And then I wondered if this "Trend Micro" 2007 software is getting in
the way of something. The ONLY reason I had it installed, besides the
crappy service available and pop-ups from HELL from these Norton &
Mcafee companies, is that the Trend Micro product is supposed to be a
quite, kept to itself program that runs in the background and doesn't
interfere with the other operating programs.....as much anyway....

Well, I'm stepping off the box. Thank you for your thoughts. I truly
appreciate them all and I will continue and try not to hate my
computer so much with your help. It truly is like the love of an old
girlfriend....."You hate to love them, and love to hate them!"

CB ~

PS. I've tried to answer a few questions below as well!

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:50:46 -0400, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
wrote:

>CB,
>
>Tell the seller that this is not a pc issue, it's a customer sat issue.
>
>I looked again, but nowhere in your replies did I read that you
>1. removed the video card, or (No I have not)
>2. have an issue with non-youtube stuff. (YES, it's typically a random thing)
>
>Could you tell us:
>1. Is the issue only with youtube ? (NO, it just does it at random)
>2. Did you buy the pc from the factory with that video card installed ? (It was bought off the shelf and installed at "CompUSA")
>3. If you remove the video card and use just integrated video, does it
>work ok - or still reboot ? (I've never tried)
>
>Their 'testing' is going to be running a diagnostic and if your issue only
>happens in response to 'some youtube instruction' then have them load that
>same video at the store. Even then if it fails, the pc manuafacturer will
>say " not my problem' and if card is ok in another PC, nvidia would say
>'not my problem'. The SELLER (CompUSA) is the person to ' make it work' ---------I'm memorizing this and using it....Thank you!!!
>or issue refund. ( you can understand thaty the local store/tech's job is
>not to be a consultant)
>If built in video OK, then have them refund $$ on the nvidia card.
>If built in video NOT OK, then not video card etc.
>Again, it's the local store manager's problem. Not your's.
>You need to tell him that it is a customer sat issue. Make it HIS problem.
>Ask for district / regional mgr's name. His boss etc.
>But, I would suggest you determine answers to ... is it system/video card
>or driver problem so you can 'agrue a bit' and know the situation.
>
>Good luck,
>Bobb.
>

>"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> go to www.nvidia.com to get latest driver for video card.
>> There may have been an update to Vista since video driver installed.
>> Nvidia is good about having latest/greatest driver online asap.
>>

>> "CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello All
>>>
>>> Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
>>> computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
>>> running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
>>> just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
>>> Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
>>> any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
>>> likes each other.
>>>
>>> I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
>>> sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
>>> guess it's true.......they are all alike!
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance. Any help would be great!
>>>
>>> CB ~

Paul

CB wrote:
> Sorry I haven't been back for.....weeks! I, quite frankly, just
> pretty much have given up the fight with this thing for a bit and just
> recently started using it again.
>
> I appreciate all of the advice and I WILL be taking this back to the
> store and asking more questions. I just am not looking forward to
> reinstalling everything once again.
>
> I did notice the other day while messing around with Microsoft Flight
> Simulator X that my wife had gotten me shortly after we got this "New
> and Improved" computer.... Anyway.... I was just testing the full
> out effects of the game with every graphic slider pushed as far right
> (Very Detailed) just to see how it would react. It did better than
> what I thought and I messed around in some high graphic areas to see
> what kind of frame rates would appear and it did bog down to 5-7 FPS
> in a few areas but for the most part stayed around 18-22. And then,
> while on approach into KPHX (Pheonix) It just froze up and a message
> appeared that said something to the effect of "You're out of
> memory...close the game and then restart the game..." Anyway, I'm not
> sure what that meant FOR SURE but I know it's not a good thing.
>
> Just knowing that FSX is such a memory hog I'm not surprised but yet I
> am because of the way it presented itself. Just another blow to my
> electronic ego I guess.
>
> Anyway, this is yet another reason I'm thinking it COULD be the video
> card. Or maybe I've just got too many things runnning in the
> background. I have shutdown all of the services and startup programs
> except for the Microsoft programs. Even though I would bet to think
> that there is STILL plenty running that doesn't need to be.
>
> And then I wondered if this "Trend Micro" 2007 software is getting in
> the way of something. The ONLY reason I had it installed, besides the
> crappy service available and pop-ups from HELL from these Norton &
> Mcafee companies, is that the Trend Micro product is supposed to be a
> quite, kept to itself program that runs in the background and doesn't
> interfere with the other operating programs.....as much anyway....
>
> Well, I'm stepping off the box. Thank you for your thoughts. I truly
> appreciate them all and I will continue and try not to hate my
> computer so much with your help. It truly is like the love of an old
> girlfriend....."You hate to love them, and love to hate them!"
>
> CB ~

<<snip>>

HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86
2046MB Ram.
Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT

There is a 208MB service pack for FSX. It is supposed to improve framerate.

FSX SP1 (I don't know if there are any later updates than this one or not)

Don't give up on the box. Eventually you're going to get it tweaked just right

Paul

carrascomac@yahoo.com

On Aug 14, 11:05 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> CB wrote:
> > Sorry I haven't been back for.....weeks! I, quite frankly, just
> > pretty much have given up the fight with this thing for a bit and just
> > recently started using it again.

> > I appreciate all of the advice and I WILL be taking this back to the
> > store and asking more questions. I just am not looking forward to
> > reinstalling everything once again.

> > I did notice the other day while messing around with Microsoft Flight
> > Simulator X that my wife had gotten me shortly after we got this "New
> > and Improved"computer.... Anyway.... I was just testing the full
> > out effects of the game with every graphic slider pushed as far right
> > (Very Detailed) just to see how it would react. It did better than
> > what I thought and I messed around in some high graphic areas to see
> > what kind of frame rates would appear and it did bog down to 5-7 FPS
> > in a few areas but for the most part stayed around 18-22. And then,
> > while on approach into KPHX (Pheonix) It just froze up and a message
> > appeared that said something to the effect of "You're out of
> > memory...close the game and then restart the game..." Anyway, I'm not
> > sure what that meant FOR SURE but I know it's not a good thing.

> > Just knowing that FSX is such a memory hog I'm not surprised but yet I
> > am because of the way it presented itself. Just another blow to my
> > electronic ego I guess.

> > Anyway, this is yet another reason I'm thinking it COULD be the video
> > card. Or maybe I've just got too many things runnning in the
> > background. I have shutdown all of the services and startup programs
> > except for the Microsoft programs. Even though I would bet to think
> > that there is STILL plenty running that doesn't need to be.

> > And then I wondered if this "Trend Micro" 2007 software is getting in
> > the way of something. The ONLY reason I had it installed, besides the
> > crappy service available and pop-ups from HELL from these Norton &
> > Mcafee companies, is that the Trend Micro product is supposed to be a
> > quite, kept to itself program that runs in the background and doesn't
> > interfere with the other operating programs.....as much anyway....

> > Well, I'm stepping off the box. Thank you for your thoughts. I truly
> > appreciate them all and I will continue and try not to hate my
> >computerso much with your help. It truly is like the love of an old
> > girlfriend....."You hate to love them, and love to hate them!"

> > CB ~

> <<snip>>
>
> HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86
> 2046MB Ram.
> Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT
>
> There is a 208MB service pack for FSX. It is supposed to improve framerate.
>
> FSX SP1 (I don't know if there are any later updates than this one or not)http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...D=a0437942-e3d...
>
> Don't give up on the box. Eventually you're going to get it tweaked just right
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

I just rescently logged in to find your posts. I need help with my
computer and would very much appreciate your feedback. I try to use
the web via google or any other search engine and instead of going
into the page I am looking for, it directs me to an advertisement. I
also keep getting a pop-up called Think-adz that takes anyththing you
throw at it and turns it into an advertizement. I tried to go in as
system administrator but I am locked out of that too.
For starters, do you have any idea how I might re-enter the system
administrator domain to change my password and delete programs.

CB

I guess would start with clearing your cookie, temporary files and
maybe even the histroy. If that doesn't work I would go online, if
you can, and download the free version of "Adaware" to clear up any
junk on you computer. I've had hijackings before and sometimes they
take a bit to find the source. here is the link......it's a long
one..

http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?sa...D%26tid%3Dgus2

Start with that and good luck

CB ~