Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer (Vista) Keeps Restarting

Computer (Vista) Keeps Restarting

CB

Hello All

Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
likes each other.

I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
guess it's true.......they are all alike!

Thanks in advance. Any help would be great!

CB ~

Mr. Arnold

"CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All
>
> Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
> computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
> running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
> just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
> Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
> any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
> likes each other.

I'll just say this. You start using stuff that is not Vista compliant, then
you're liable to run into problems. Like today, a poster had installed some
card with a driver that was not Vista compatible. He started running
software to do mpg recordings, which was successful on the recording and
play back. However, when he tried to move/copy the mpg files, Vista started
having problems and blew out of the move/copy.

In the meantime, I did some TV recordings in mpg and was able to move/copy
the files, because everything is Vista compliant. The only problem he was
having was with mpg files and no other file types, when trying to move/copy
files.

> I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
> sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
> guess it's true.......they are all alike!

You start installing things that are not Vista compliant and some of it will
work, some of it will not work, and something's will cause problems with the
O/S and non O/S programs.

You should install Vista compatible software and go to Vista NG(s) to seek
help.

msnews.microsoft.com

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905066.aspx
http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/

You can also use this solution too, to run solutions on Vista, which is
free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

CB

I'm thinking It's time to get rid of Vista and just go back to XP. At
least I know that SOB works.....more than most of the time anyway

NOW, any thoughts on how to do that?

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:30:32 GMT, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello All
>>
>> Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
>> computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
>> running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
>> just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
>> Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
>> any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
>> likes each other.

>I'll just say this. You start using stuff that is not Vista compliant, then
>you're liable to run into problems. Like today, a poster had installed some
>card with a driver that was not Vista compatible. He started running
>software to do mpg recordings, which was successful on the recording and
>play back. However, when he tried to move/copy the mpg files, Vista started
>having problems and blew out of the move/copy.
>
>In the meantime, I did some TV recordings in mpg and was able to move/copy
>the files, because everything is Vista compliant. The only problem he was
>having was with mpg files and no other file types, when trying to move/copy
>files.
>

>> I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
>> sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
>> guess it's true.......they are all alike!

>You start installing things that are not Vista compliant and some of it will
>work, some of it will not work, and something's will cause problems with the
>O/S and non O/S programs.
>
>You should install Vista compatible software and go to Vista NG(s) to seek
>help.
>
>msnews.microsoft.com
>
>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905066.aspx
>http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/
>
>You can also use this solution too, to run solutions on Vista, which is
>free.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

dennis

"CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All
>
> Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
> computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
> running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
> just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
> Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
> any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
> likes each other.
>
> I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
> sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
> guess it's true.......they are all alike!
>
> Thanks in advance. Any help would be great!
>
> CB ~

Did you purchase the system without the video card? If so remove the card
and try running your media files on just the embedded video. If it still
fails, call their tech support and start the repair process. Granted the
thing could be on fire and they will ask you to reload their OS so be sure
and back up all your files you want to keep prior to calling.

another thought... what are the power requirements of your video card and
what is the output of your powersupply? Some manufacturers like to go cheap
on powersupplies.

good luck.

Dennis

Mr. Arnold

"CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking It's time to get rid of Vista and just go back to XP. At
> least I know that SOB works.....more than most of the time anyway
>
> NOW, any thoughts on how to do that?

The problem seems to be on your end, by not posting to the right NG(s) to
get help, along with some other things you're most likely doing.

I suggest that you post to one of the Vista NG(s) at msnews.microsoft.com.
Someone will help you, and I got nothing against you, crawl back to XP with
your tail between your legs.

I am running a HP dv9000 Entertainment laptop with Vista that I have been
using since 4/2007, with no problems and it's running like a champ.

It all depends upon who is sitting behind the keyboard and mouse.

dennis

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RJ1oi.9758$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm thinking It's time to get rid of Vista and just go back to XP. At
>> least I know that SOB works.....more than most of the time anyway
>>
>> NOW, any thoughts on how to do that?

> The problem seems to be on your end, by not posting to the right NG(s) to
> get help, along with some other things you're most likely doing.
>
> I suggest that you post to one of the Vista NG(s) at msnews.microsoft.com.
> Someone will help you, and I got nothing against you, crawl back to XP
> with your tail between your legs.
>
> I am running a HP dv9000 Entertainment laptop with Vista that I have been
> using since 4/2007, with no problems and it's running like a champ.
>
> It all depends upon who is sitting behind the keyboard and mouse.

I second that. I recently built new my core 2 duo (2.66mhz w/ 2G pc6400
ddr2) with the Asus P5W DH Deluxe running vista home premium ... so far
solid as a rock! This replaces my P4 2.4GHZ w/1GB pc1066 rambus (XP Pro)
.... my video rendering went from 4-6 hours to less than 1/2 hour for a given
length of video. Gotta love it!

When I was running my old system I turned off all unnecessary processes and
disabled my network adapter while doing videos... the new system I don't
bother.

Vista has somewhat of a learning curve with the different format of the
desktop but once you get past the difference it's great (IMHO of course)

Dennis

Mr. Arnold

"dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sI6oi.32$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RJ1oi.9758$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>>
>> "CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm thinking It's time to get rid of Vista and just go back to XP. At
>>> least I know that SOB works.....more than most of the time anyway
>>>
>>> NOW, any thoughts on how to do that?

>> The problem seems to be on your end, by not posting to the right NG(s) to
>> get help, along with some other things you're most likely doing.
>>
>> I suggest that you post to one of the Vista NG(s) at
>> msnews.microsoft.com. Someone will help you, and I got nothing against
>> you, crawl back to XP with your tail between your legs.
>>
>> I am running a HP dv9000 Entertainment laptop with Vista that I have been
>> using since 4/2007, with no problems and it's running like a champ.
>>
>> It all depends upon who is sitting behind the keyboard and mouse.

> I second that. I recently built new my core 2 duo (2.66mhz w/ 2G pc6400
> ddr2) with the Asus P5W DH Deluxe running vista home premium ... so far
> solid as a rock! This replaces my P4 2.4GHZ w/1GB pc1066 rambus (XP
> Pro) ... my video rendering went from 4-6 hours to less than 1/2 hour for
> a given length of video. Gotta love it!
>
> When I was running my old system I turned off all unnecessary processes
> and disabled my network adapter while doing videos... the new system I
> don't bother.
>
> Vista has somewhat of a learning curve with the different format of the
> desktop but once you get past the difference it's great (IMHO of course)

Brcause of these two links alone, I'll never use XP again.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/WFP.mspx

I view Vista the same way I did Win 2K and XP when the were released. They
had the same kind of problems and issues. Both O/S became stable, the
hardware and software vendors eventually caught up with those O/S(s), and I
don't see this being any different for Vista.

CB

Well after getting this GD thing back from "Comp-lete Morons USA" I
had to resinstall everything back in it and it still wants to freeze
up periodically after they told me that all of the hardware checks out
and that it has to be a software issue. They say the next step is to
send it off to HP....Nice.....

The fact is, as I have seen other posters mention, is that I have
dreaded this moment. I did the same with XP as well. The dreaded 3
months of setting this thing up to where it works, for what it is you
want it to do, and when and HOW you want to do it. It's all a matter
of getting used to it.

But the part that gets me is that WHY in the hell should a person have
to put up with things like it just restarting or freezing up anytime
it wants when it's "BRAND NEW!" I guess it's just me, the guy behind
the keyboard and mouse. Well.....maybe this link isn't a joke at
all... http://www.dysan.net/Weird/show/48.html I really don't look
forward to the day that I'm driving down the road and the wheels on
the car just decide to lose a connection to the steering wheel.

OH, I guess that was my printer the other day and MY COMPUTER! Hmmmm,
funny though how it found the printer, reinstalled itself and found
the proper driver and they STILL weren't Communicating?!? What the
HELL, did they get in a fight in the middle of the night? Not enough
electron love between the 2 of them I guess...

Anyway, I'm off to research more info on how to make my brand new
computer BETTER! Or maybe just find a way to make, my brand NEW
computer, not freeze up for at least a year. Long live computer geeks
and the people who put up with computer "NOOBS" like myself.
Respectfully.....Thank You! I'm sure like everything else in life and
time, they will make a computer more like a car. And if not, we can
at least expect them to get better.

Thanks for all of the posts!!!

CB ~

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:00:35 -0700, "dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello All
>>
>> Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
>> computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
>> running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
>> just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
>> Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
>> any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
>> likes each other.
>>
>> I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
>> sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
>> guess it's true.......they are all alike!
>>
>> Thanks in advance. Any help would be great!
>>
>> CB ~

>Did you purchase the system without the video card? If so remove the card
>and try running your media files on just the embedded video. If it still
>fails, call their tech support and start the repair process. Granted the
>thing could be on fire and they will ask you to reload their OS so be sure
>and back up all your files you want to keep prior to calling.
>
>another thought... what are the power requirements of your video card and
>what is the output of your powersupply? Some manufacturers like to go cheap
>on powersupplies.
>
>good luck.
>
>Dennis

- Bobb -

go to www.nvidia.com to get latest driver for video card.
There may have been an update to Vista since video driver installed.
Nvidia is good about having latest/greatest driver online asap.

"CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All
>
> Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
> computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
> running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
> just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
> Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
> any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
> likes each other.
>
> I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
> sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
> guess it's true.......they are all alike!
>
> Thanks in advance. Any help would be great!
>
> CB ~

w_tom

On Jul 22, 9:17 pm, CB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well after getting this GD thing back from "Comp-lete Morons USA" I
> had to resinstall everything back in it and it still wants to freeze
> up periodically after they told me that all of the hardware checks out
> and that it has to be a software issue. They say the next step is to
> send it off to HP....Nice.....

How was hardware checked out? What did he do to 'confirm' hardware
is good?

Some tips. Computer techs can obtain A+ Certification without even
knowing how electricity works. Intermittents such as yours are often
due to electricity problems.

So, did he measure voltages with a 3.5 digit multimeter when all
peripherals were fully operational? Did he execute comprehensive
hardware diagnostics first at room temperature and then again with
computers in a 100 degree F room? Temperature being a diagnostic tool
that finds intermittent hardware quickly (and that some want to cure
with more fans). What does the event (system) logs report?

Don't try to fix anything. You only want to make the problem
reproducible and maybe identify symptoms of a defective part. Those
who try to fix things first (rather than first learn what is wrong)
often keep curing everything but the symptoms or exponentially
complicate the problem (as if it is not already complex enough).

Provides are first things that the technician should have
confirmed. If you don't know how he 'checked out hardware', well, if
he did not first measure those voltages with a digital meter when
supply was under maximum load, then he did not check out hardware.
Diagnostics executed only in an air conditioned room are not properly
executed diagnostics. All functioning computers must perform every
diagnostic 'repeatedly OK' at its maximum operating temperature; one
of the best ways to identify 100% defective hardware.

Meanwhile, was it Nvidia drivers that had a Vista problem in some
machines? If yes, then their web site would provide details. Video
processor is one of few peripherals that can create your problem.