Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB mouse and keyboard not recognized

USB mouse and keyboard not recognized

Brian

I have a PC with USB only keyboard and mouse (no PS2). Windows XP
Media
Edition. when the system boots, it will go to the Windows desktop,
but then get "stuck" and the keyboard and mouse are not recognized.
The keyboard works before Windows loads - I can go into the BIOS.

I can also select boot to safe mode, but that leads to the sign in
screen to select Administrator or Username and because the mouse isn't
recognized it just stays at that screen.

selecting the last good hardware profile does nothing.

how can I boot into Windows and get the mouse and/or keyboard
recognized?

thanks

Ragnar

Brian wrote:
> I have a PC with USB only keyboard and mouse (no PS2). Windows XP
> Media
> Edition. when the system boots, it will go to the Windows desktop,
> but then get "stuck" and the keyboard and mouse are not recognized.
> The keyboard works before Windows loads - I can go into the BIOS.
>
> I can also select boot to safe mode, but that leads to the sign in
> screen to select Administrator or Username and because the mouse isn't
> recognized it just stays at that screen.
>
> selecting the last good hardware profile does nothing.
>
> how can I boot into Windows and get the mouse and/or keyboard
> recognized?
>
> thanks

When this happened to me it was because I had other USB devices plugged in
and the system just couldn't handle them all. I suspect this is rather like
your problem. The keyboard works fine during boot-up because the 'other'
drivers are not loaded at that point.

When I unplugged the other USB devices my keyboard and mouse came back. That
was only a temporary fix of course. The eventual solution turned out to be a
new mobo and now everything is perfect.

If you think this is similar to your problem you might try a powered USB
card or hub (NOT an unpowered one).

Brian

The keyboard and the mouse are the only USB devices plugged into the
PC.