Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > trying to format a hard drive

trying to format a hard drive

don

I'm cleaning up my closet and found an old harddrive and wanted to wipe it
clean so I could sell it on Ebay - the problem is FDISK would not reconize
it so I tried Norton GDISK /diskwipe - this started to work but now I'm
getting an error that says Cannot write to sector 106176 of fixed disk 2 --
int13 error
Before I tried this Gdisk reported that disk 2 has partitions that extend
past the end of the disk - I'm letting Gdisk work along as I write thsi
email but I'm wondering if I should continue or not?

I think this disk was on a network.

thanks

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

don wrote:
> I'm cleaning up my closet and found an old harddrive and wanted to wipe it
> clean so I could sell it on Ebay

I think you'll get negative feedback if you sucker someone into buying it.

don

I was able to partition the drive, but one partiton stops formating on
sector 5 so I guess the disk is shot, but how would I low level format this
Fujitsu drive anyway?

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

don wrote:
> I was able to partition the drive, but one partiton stops formating on
> sector 5 so I guess the disk is shot, but how would I low level format this
> Fujitsu drive anyway?

Low level formatting is kind of a thing of the past. However, you can
"zero" it out with a wiping program. Here's one place to read up on it:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129

Ben Myers

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:f7oint$4mq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was able to partition the drive, but one partiton stops formating on
> sector 5 so I guess the disk is shot, but how would I low level format this
> Fujitsu drive anyway?

If you can find no other solution, you might try one of the Fujitsu utilities
on the following page. I strongly suggest you check them for viruses.

http://members.shaw.ca/rinocanada/hdutils.htm

Ben