Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Strip out CSS

Strip out CSS

When saving web pages, I'd like to strip out all CSS and just leave the raw
HTML intact. Some web developer toolbars will strip out the CSS, but for
some reason they won't let you save the page this way. Any tools that can do
this?

(PS: Yes, I know I could manually delete any style sheets but would like to
automate this process. Bonus points if it can strip out inline styles as
well.)

dorayme

In article <bCMni.131315$NV3.476@pd7urf2no>,
"M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When saving web pages, I'd like to strip out all CSS and just leave the raw
> HTML intact. Some web developer toolbars will strip out the CSS, but for
> some reason they won't let you save the page this way. Any tools that can do
> this?
>
> (PS: Yes, I know I could manually delete any style sheets but would like to
> automate this process. Bonus points if it can strip out inline styles as
> well.)

Give an example of one url you would like to do this to.

--
dorayme

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <bCMni.131315$NV3.476@pd7urf2no>,
> "M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Give an example of one url you would like to do this to.

Not sure why this is relevant but, hey, if it leads to something. . . As an
example:

http://niftytutorials.com/basics/tra...iful-mosaic/1/

Essentially, I just want to save barebones articles with any relevant
images. I don't want Google ads, sidebars, irrelevant banner images, forms,
search boxes, background images, scripts, etc.

Sometimes the website is gracious enough to offer a print version which gets
rid of most of this stuff.

I have a Notetab script which does most of what I want but wanted to see if
something else out there is better at it.

jmatt@webace.com.au

On Jul 20, 12:49 am, "M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When saving web pages, I'd like to strip out all CSS and just leave the raw
> HTML intact. Some web developer toolbars will strip out the CSS, but for
> some reason they won't let you save the page this way. Any tools that can do
> this?

What browser are you using?

dorayme

In article <tGSni.130529$xq1.5003@pd7urf1no>,
"M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <bCMni.131315$NV3.476@pd7urf2no>,
> > "M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Give an example of one url you would like to do this to.

> Not sure why this is relevant but, hey, if it leads to something. . . As an
> example:
>
> http://niftytutorials.com/basics/tra...autiful-mosaic
> /1/
>
> Essentially, I just want to save barebones articles with any relevant
> images. I don't want Google ads, sidebars, irrelevant banner images, forms,
> search boxes, background images, scripts, etc.
>
> Sometimes the website is gracious enough to offer a print version which gets
> rid of most of this stuff.
>
> I have a Notetab script which does most of what I want but wanted to see if
> something else out there is better at it.

It is tricky to fashion a general facility to distinguish between
relevant and irrelevant images as you can imagine. Best I can
suggest is this, open in FF (equipped with free developer tools)
and turn off all css and probably javascript too. Save as
webpage. Open the saved in a browser. If too rich for you still,
just delete the associated folder which contains all the images
and other stuff, or inspect the folder and be rid things
selectively - but this is not what you want to do). I am afraid
there is nothing as intelligent as you for this job.

--
dorayme

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jul 20, 12:49 am, "M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> When saving web pages, I'd like to strip out all CSS and just leave the
>> raw
>> HTML intact. Some web developer toolbars will strip out the CSS, but for
>> some reason they won't let you save the page this way. Any tools that can
>> do
>> this?

> What browser are you using?

Normally I use FF, but I'd use IE if there was a tool for it.

jmatt@webace.com.au

On Jul 20, 9:15 am, "M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Normally I use FF, but I'd use IE if there was a tool for it.

Have you tried Greasemonkey?

http://www.greasespot.net/

jmatt@webace.com.au

On Jul 20, 12:49 am, "M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

This may give you what you want.

At the top of the Firefox browser select VIEW, PAGE STYLE, then NO
STYLE.

This will strip any web page that you're viewing of all CSS styling.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Jul 20, 12:49 am, "M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> This may give you what you want.
>
> At the top of the Firefox browser select VIEW, PAGE STYLE, then NO
> STYLE.
>
> This will strip any web page that you're viewing of all CSS styling.

Yes, I know. However when you save the de-"css"-esified page, all the CSS is
still saved with it. When you open the saved page again, all the CSS shows
up again. It's the same with the web developer toolbars -- they let you
turn off the CSS to view the page but they don't let you save the modified
page.

jmatt@webace.com.au

On Jul 20, 12:49 am, "M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Have a look at this one.

Stylish
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...style&status=4
http://dev.upian.com/hotlinks/tag/gr...easemonkey&n=4
Firefox Extension for managing user styles - Stylish allows you to
easily manage user styles for the application UI, all websites, or
only certain websites. Stylish is better than using userChrome.css/
userContent.css because styles are applied immediately instead of
requiring a restart.
Stylish is to CSS what Greasemonkey is to JavaScript. Stylish allows