Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Trainigng and certifications path

Trainigng and certifications path

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsYQ==?=

I need some guidance in an appropriate training and certification path I
should take to add value to my consulting firm.

I am a CPA and a mid-range accounting software (MAS 90/200 and Accpac)
consultant and would like to start learning more about networks and hardware.
I can work with basic functions on servers and networks, usually the ones
related to the software I support. Most of my clients outsource their network
support. Often times, I am not able to work with the client’s network
technician…sometime they will not respond to inquiries for days! For this
reason, I need to become more knowledgeable in networks, hardware,
servers...you name it. I started doing my research online and did not come
up with a clear solution. So, this is where I need your expertise and voice
of experience:

1. A starting point. What do you suggest in terms of books and training
courses that would give me a great overview of network architecture, server
configuration, peripherals configuration and setup, and network security.

2. What certifications should I start with. Eventually, I want to become an
MCSE.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frisbee®

"Daniela" <Daniela @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need some guidance in an appropriate training and certification path I
> should take to add value to my consulting firm.
>
> I am a CPA and a mid-range accounting software (MAS 90/200 and Accpac)
> consultant and would like to start learning more about networks and
> hardware.
> I can work with basic functions on servers and networks, usually the ones
> related to the software I support. Most of my clients outsource their
> network
> support. Often times, I am not able to work with the client's network
> technician.sometime they will not respond to inquiries for days! For this
> reason, I need to become more knowledgeable in networks, hardware,
> servers...you name it. I started doing my research online and did not
> come
> up with a clear solution. So, this is where I need your expertise and
> voice
> of experience:
>
> 1. A starting point. What do you suggest in terms of books and training
> courses that would give me a great overview of network architecture,
> server
> configuration, peripherals configuration and setup, and network security.
>
> 2. What certifications should I start with. Eventually, I want to become
> an
> MCSE.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, for starters, post a GIF on http://www.mcngp.com and you might get a
half dozen or more MCSE's show up on your site to train you personally,
depending on how hawt you are.

Ben Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "=?Utf-
8?B?RGFuaWVsYQ==?=" <Daniela @discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> I need some guidance in an appropriate training and certification path I
> should take to add value to my consulting firm.
>
> I am a CPA and a mid-range accounting software (MAS 90/200 and Accpac)
> consultant and would like to start learning more about networks and hardware.
> I can work with basic functions on servers and networks, usually the ones
> related to the software I support. Most of my clients outsource their network
> support. Often times, I am not able to work with the clientâ¤=3Fs network
> technicianâ¤=3Fsometime they will not respond to inquiries for days! For this
> reason, I need to become more knowledgeable in networks, hardware,
> servers...you name it. I started doing my research online and did not come
> up with a clear solution. So, this is where I need your expertise and voice
> of experience:
>
> 1. A starting point. What do you suggest in terms of books and training
> courses that would give me a great overview of network architecture, server
> configuration, peripherals configuration and setup, and network security.
>
> 2. What certifications should I start with. Eventually, I want to become an
> MCSE.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

A natural segway into IT for you might be via auditing - check out
http://www.isaca.org/.

THe best bang for your buck resource on network
architecture/config/network security is the Windows Server 2003 Server
Resource Kit, but it is fairly technical. You might want to start out
with Windows XP Inside Out.

Kline Sphere

>Well, for starters, post a GIF on http://www.mcngp.com

... or movie.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Manny Borges

I would reccomend starting with a few base courses and certifications first.

1. (Reccommended) A+ training or one of the plethora of books out there. Not
really needed, but a good base.
2. Required- Grab a network plus book and a server plus book. Get the
network plus cert at least.
A training course would be most benificial for this core knowledge.
3. Invest in a good computer if you don't already have one, or upgrade your
existing computer to at least a total of 1.5 GB RAM. Install VMware, or
virtual PC and do some virtual system set ups and virtual networks.
4. Go to a reliable Microsoft training center for a full MCSE track. If the
training center advertises boot camps, or you find yourself in a class with
people who are on unemployment and are there because its free RUN. If the
course is graded in any way RUN. These are good indicators that the students
in the class are going to pull you down and slow the natural flow that can
occur when intelligent dedicated adults gather to learn.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"Daniela" <Daniela @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need some guidance in an appropriate training and certification path I
> should take to add value to my consulting firm.
>
> I am a CPA and a mid-range accounting software (MAS 90/200 and Accpac)
> consultant and would like to start learning more about networks and
> hardware.
> I can work with basic functions on servers and networks, usually the ones
> related to the software I support. Most of my clients outsource their
> network
> support. Often times, I am not able to work with the client's network
> technician.sometime they will not respond to inquiries for days! For this
> reason, I need to become more knowledgeable in networks, hardware,
> servers...you name it. I started doing my research online and did not
> come
> up with a clear solution. So, this is where I need your expertise and
> voice
> of experience:
>
> 1. A starting point. What do you suggest in terms of books and training
> courses that would give me a great overview of network architecture,
> server
> configuration, peripherals configuration and setup, and network security.
>
> 2. What certifications should I start with. Eventually, I want to become
> an
> MCSE.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

catwalker63

"=?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsYQ==?=" <Daniela @discussions.microsoft.com> prattled
ceaslessly in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I need some guidance in an appropriate training and certification path
> I should take to add value to my consulting firm.

For Windows, try Minasi's Mastering Windows XP Professional and Mastering
Windows Server 2003 (Sybex Press). Mark Minasi knows his stuff and the
books read more like novels than technical manuals. His style is
humorous as well and I found them a pleasure to read. Don't leave out
setting up a couple of computers and a small network to practice with.

For networking, CompTIA's Network + course may be your best bet. You can
take a class or look for good self-study materials (or both). Amazon and
Barnes and Noble have user reviews of books that may be helpful to you in
choosing materials.

Check out www.microsoft.com/learning for information about how to become
an MCSE. Keep in mind that this certification path is designed for IT
professionals who have 2 years experience in an Enterprise IT
environment. That doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means it's going
to be much harder.

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

Ben Smith

In article <Xns96AAAEDE45944catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.1 36>,
> Subject: Re: Trainigng and certifications path
> From: catwalker63 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsYQ==?=" <Daniela @discussions.microsoft.com> prattled
> ceaslessly in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I need some guidance in an appropriate training and certification path
> > I should take to add value to my consulting firm.
> >

> For Windows, try Minasi's Mastering Windows XP Professional and Mastering
> Windows Server 2003 (Sybex Press). Mark Minasi knows his stuff and the
> books read more like novels than technical manuals. His style is
> humorous as well and I found them a pleasure to read.

He is even funnier in person.

The Rev [MCT]

Better than Mike Myers (The passport guy not the movie guy)

--
rev

MCT/MCNGP #44
..