Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DSL and phone service

DSL and phone service

Mark H

I have dsl and phone service from att, both which work great. Every time
I pickup or call, the dsl is temporarily interrupted. Is their anyway
around this?

Mark H

and just as a side note, their is NO help from att at all, which is why
i'm posting here. tech-support doesnt know anything about using both
services. I tried two different techs.

Mark H wrote:
> I have dsl and phone service from att, both which work great. Every time
> I pickup or call, the dsl is temporarily interrupted. Is their anyway
> around this?

Vanguard

"Mark H" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have dsl and phone service from att, both which work great. Every
>time I pickup or call, the dsl is temporarily interrupted. Is their
>anyway around this?

So why not call their customer service and report a problem that
requires them to come out and replace their splitter? If they did the
install then they would've installed a splitter to isolate the phone
gear from the DSL line. If you did a self-install, did you install the
filters on every phone device that connects to the phone line?

Go read:
http://www.hometech.com/learn/dsl.html

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mark H wrote:
> Mark H wrote:
>> I have dsl and phone service from att, both which work great. Every
>> time I pickup or call, the dsl is temporarily interrupted. Is their
>> anyway around this?

I would start by checking if your DSL filters are properly in place, or
your phone/DSL modem wires are somehow not connected correctly. This
sounds like a local issue. The DSL and your voice are of course on
different frequency spectrums.

> and just as a side note, their is NO help from att at all, which is
> why i'm posting here. tech-support doesnt know anything about using
> both services. I tried two different techs.

Do you have a Worldnet ISP account? Try posting in their internal
newsgroups. You can either access it via NNTP, or by the more amateur
web interface. Settings here:
http://www.wurd.com/cl_news_thunderbird_05_gia.php

and the group is:
worldnet.help.dsl

Via your browser:
http://webnews.att.net/ and select the DSL group.

While the Worldnet agents do not have access to your equipment and phone
lines, they do have cross-company contact with the DSL providing
branches of the company.

--
-bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Vanguard wrote:

> ... If you did a self-install, did you install the filters on every
> phone device that connects to the phone line?

There is a way to hook it all up using only one filter. See this
schematic drawn up by a Worldnet/AT&T DSL user:

http://k75s.home.att.net/dslschematic.txt

--
-bts

Vanguard

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote in message
news:1BNni.176793$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Vanguard wrote:
>>
>> ... If you did a self-install, did you install the filters on every
>> phone device that connects to the phone line?

> There is a way to hook it all up using only one filter. See this
> schematic drawn up by a Worldnet/AT&T DSL user:
>
> http://k75s.home.att.net/dslschematic.txt

When the ISP comes out to do the wiring, they add the filter so the
original phone line for ALL devices gets separated and then they run in
a separate line just for the DSL modem. The do-it-yourself kits that
has the customer setup the DSL access at home requires attaching a
filter to each device because the precept is that customers are too
stupid to be running code-compliant wiring through their house - but
that doesn't stop users from doing the same setup that the ISP would do.

For e-mail: The passcode "#VNGRD" must be added to Subject.
* Keep the discussion in the newsgroup - Share with others *

Plato

Mark H wrote:

> I have dsl and phone service from att, both which work great. Every time
> I pickup or call, the dsl is temporarily interrupted. Is their anyway
> around this?

Do have the anti-dsl filters setup on all your telephones?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Mark H

Thanks everyone, but it seems MY pure stupidity reigns. I had the dsl
line plugged into the filtered phone jack. Since it worked from the
beginning I never bothered to recheck. All is even better now.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Mark H wrote:
>> Mark H wrote:
>>> I have dsl and phone service from att, both which work great. Every
>>> time I pickup or call, the dsl is temporarily interrupted. Is their
>>> anyway around this?

> I would start by checking if your DSL filters are properly in place, or
> your phone/DSL modem wires are somehow not connected correctly. This
> sounds like a local issue. The DSL and your voice are of course on
> different frequency spectrums.
>
>> and just as a side note, their is NO help from att at all, which is
>> why i'm posting here. tech-support doesnt know anything about using
>> both services. I tried two different techs.

> Do you have a Worldnet ISP account? Try posting in their internal
> newsgroups. You can either access it via NNTP, or by the more amateur
> web interface. Settings here:
> http://www.wurd.com/cl_news_thunderbird_05_gia.php
>
> and the group is:
> worldnet.help.dsl
>
> Via your browser:
> http://webnews.att.net/ and select the DSL group.
>
> While the Worldnet agents do not have access to your equipment and phone
> lines, they do have cross-company contact with the DSL providing
> branches of the company.

Whiskers

On 2007-07-23, Mark H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks everyone, but it seems MY pure stupidity reigns. I had the dsl
> line plugged into the filtered phone jack. Since it worked from the
> beginning I never bothered to recheck. All is even better now.

[...]

That suggests that the 'filter' isn't doing a good job; it should stop the
DSL signals completely.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

jomama

On Jul 19, 9:25 am, Mark H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> and just as a side note, their is NO help from att at all, which is why
> i'm posting here. tech-support doesnt know anything about using both
> services. I tried two different techs.
>

> Mark H wrote:
> > I have dsl and phone service from att, both which work great. Every time
> > I pickup or call, the dsl is temporarily interrupted. Is their anyway
> > around this?- Hide quoted text -

Check the Filters.