Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > server session possible without browser?

server session possible without browser?

Ciaran

Hi,
I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
this is possible please?

Thanks
Ciarán

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:23:51 GMT
Ciaran scribed:

> Hi,
> I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
> using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
> flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
> this is possible please?

I'd have to say no because a session ends when you close the browser.

--
Neredbojias
A self-made man who worships his creator

Benjamin Niemann

Hello,

Ciaran wrote:

> I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
> using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
> flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
> this is possible please?

Sessions usually require a cookie store on the client-side. So in order to
get this working the user-agent must be able to understand the 'Set-Cookie'
HTTP header and add the received cookie (or cookies) to every following
request.
Sometimes the session id is also passed around using a query parameter in
the URL - which would make things a bit easier to implement on the
client-side.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de

Ciaran

"Benjamin Niemann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f7o002$fob$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Ciaran wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
>> using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
>> flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
>> this is possible please?

> Sessions usually require a cookie store on the client-side. So in order to
> get this working the user-agent must be able to understand the
> 'Set-Cookie'
> HTTP header and add the received cookie (or cookies) to every following
> request.
> Sometimes the session id is also passed around using a query parameter in
> the URL - which would make things a bit easier to implement on the
> client-side.
>
> --
> Benjamin Niemann
> Email: pink at odahoda dot de
> WWW: http://pink.odahoda.de/

Hmm, that doesnt sound too promising. I think my webmail program uses
cookies to store the session. The urls are fairly simple. I was thinking of
embedding the flash swf in a html file but I'm not sure if the google
desktop gadgets support html. I think it might just be XML. Any ideas on
this?

Jonathan N. Little

Ciaran wrote:
> "Benjamin Niemann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f7o002$fob$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Ciaran wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
>>> using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
>>> flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
>>> this is possible please?

>> Sessions usually require a cookie store on the client-side. So in order to
>> get this working the user-agent must be able to understand the
>> 'Set-Cookie'
>> HTTP header and add the received cookie (or cookies) to every following
>> request.
>> Sometimes the session id is also passed around using a query parameter in
>> the URL - which would make things a bit easier to implement on the
>> client-side.
>>
>> --
>> Benjamin Niemann
>> Email: pink at odahoda dot de
>> WWW: http://pink.odahoda.de/

> Hmm, that doesnt sound too promising. I think my webmail program uses
> cookies to store the session. The urls are fairly simple. I was thinking of
> embedding the flash swf in a html file but I'm not sure if the google
> desktop gadgets support html. I think it might just be XML. Any ideas on
> this?

What are you actually trying to do? Are you trying to keep tabs on an
webmail account without constantly going to the site and check if there
are messages? If so browsers like Firefox have extensions that poll
webmail account.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Benjamin Niemann

Hi,

Ciaran wrote:

> "Benjamin Niemann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f7o002$fob$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Ciaran wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
>>> using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
>>> flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
>>> this is possible please?

>> Sessions usually require a cookie store on the client-side. So in order
>> to get this working the user-agent must be able to understand the
>> 'Set-Cookie'
>> HTTP header and add the received cookie (or cookies) to every following
>> request.
>> Sometimes the session id is also passed around using a query parameter in
>> the URL - which would make things a bit easier to implement on the
>> client-side.

> Hmm, that doesnt sound too promising. I think my webmail program uses
> cookies to store the session. The urls are fairly simple. I was thinking
> of embedding the flash swf in a html file but I'm not sure if the google
> desktop gadgets support html. I think it might just be XML. Any ideas on
> this?

It might be possible to implement session handling with ActionScript. I've
never tried that so far and a bit of searching did not turn up any build-in
support for a 'cookie jar' in ActionScript. So it might need some
additional scripting to get this working...

And about Google Desktop Gadgets: no idea. The linux version has just been
release and so far I felt no urge to try it out.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de

Ciaran

> What are you actually trying to do? Are you trying to keep tabs on an
> webmail account without constantly going to the site and check if there
> are messages? If so browsers like Firefox have extensions that poll
> webmail account.

Well.... it's not actually webmail - it's an SMS service provided by my
operator. I'm trying to make a program that will log into their server and
allow me to send texts directly to thier handler from my desktop without
having to go through their very slow and badly designed website.

> It might be possible to implement session handling with ActionScript. I've
> never tried that so far and a bit of searching did not turn up any
> build-in
> support for a 'cookie jar' in ActionScript. So it might need some
> additional scripting to get this working...

This would be perfect. Maybe I'll try posting in the actionscript group. I
wish there was a google gadgets group!