Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Opening links in OE

Opening links in OE

Col

I'm using Windows XP home with OE and IE, sp2.

For some reason when click on a link to a website in a newsgroup nothing
happens. It used to open Internet Explorer. I don't remember changing any
settings.

Thanks for any help.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Col wrote:
> I'm using Windows XP home with OE and IE, sp2.
>
> For some reason when click on a link to a website in a newsgroup nothing
> happens. It used to open Internet Explorer. I don't remember changing any
> settings.

Maybe this will help, click
Start, Run, and then type in REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL

Have you installed any other browsers lately? Such as AOL or FireFox?

Col

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Col wrote:
>> I'm using Windows XP home with OE and IE, sp2.
>>
>> For some reason when click on a link to a website in a newsgroup nothing
>> happens. It used to open Internet Explorer. I don't remember changing any
>> settings.

> Maybe this will help, click
> Start, Run, and then type in REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
>
> Have you installed any other browsers lately? Such as AOL or FireFox?

Yes I did, I gave Opera a go but then installed it.

I typed 'REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL' in and it said URLMON.DLL succeeded.
However it's still not working.

clot

Col wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Col wrote:
>>> I'm using Windows XP home with OE and IE, sp2.
>>>
>>> For some reason when click on a link to a website in a newsgroup
>>> nothing happens. It used to open Internet Explorer. I don't
>>> remember changing any settings.

>> Maybe this will help, click
>> Start, Run, and then type in REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
>>
>> Have you installed any other browsers lately? Such as AOL or FireFox?

> Yes I did, I gave Opera a go but then installed it.
>
> I typed 'REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL' in and it said URLMON.DLL succeeded.
> However it's still not working.

Have you also upgraded from IE6 to 7 recently?

Col

"clot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yeJni.42$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Col wrote:
>> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Maybe this will help, click
>>> Start, Run, and then type in REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
>>>
>>> Have you installed any other browsers lately? Such as AOL or FireFox?

>> Yes I did, I gave Opera a go but then installed it.
>>
>> I typed 'REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL' in and it said URLMON.DLL succeeded.
>> However it's still not working.

> Have you also upgraded from IE6 to 7 recently?

This is going to sound really dumb but I'm not sure. I did a Windows update
yesterday and installed some 'critical updates' but I honestly don't know if
IE7 was one of them.

dadiOH

Col wrote:
> I'm using Windows XP home with OE and IE, sp2.
>
> For some reason when click on a link to a website in a newsgroup
> nothing happens. It used to open Internet Explorer. I don't
> remember changing any settings.

This is what you'd do in Win98. WinXP should be similar...

Open Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use
the double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Col wrote:

> "clot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Col wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes I did, I gave Opera a go but then installed it.

Un-installed it? Did you make it your default browser when you
in-stalled it? Did you try going to Ie's options and tell *it* to be
your default browser?

>> Have you also upgraded from IE6 to 7 recently?

> This is going to sound really dumb but I'm not sure. I did a Windows
> update yesterday and installed some 'critical updates' but I honestly
> don't know if IE7 was one of them.

Nearly every application will tell you its version number when you go to
its menu: Help > About <application>

--
-bts

james

news:vxKni.333571$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Col wrote:

> Un-installed it? Did you make it your default browser when you
> in-stalled it? Did you try going to Ie's options and tell *it* to be
> your default browser?
>
>>> Have you also upgraded from IE6 to 7 recently?

>> This is going to sound really dumb but I'm not sure. I did a Windows
>> update yesterday and installed some 'critical updates' but I honestly
>> don't know if IE7 was one of them.

> Nearly every application will tell you its version number when you go to
> its menu: Help > About <application>
>
> --
> -bts

Try this ,it worked for me
Jim
http://dundats.mvps.org/Files/FixOELinks.exe

Col

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Col wrote:
>> I'm using Windows XP home with OE and IE, sp2.
>>
>> For some reason when click on a link to a website in a newsgroup
>> nothing happens. It used to open Internet Explorer. I don't
>> remember changing any settings.

> This is what you'd do in Win98. WinXP should be similar...
>
> Open Windows Explorer.
> Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
> Scroll down to
> URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
> URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy
>
> Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
> Select 'open'.
> Click Edit.
>
> "Application used to perform this action" should read:
>
> "C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
> (Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use
> the double quotes.)
>
> DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:
>
> #1:
> "%1",,-1,0,,,,
> IExplore
> #3 (blank)

> WWW_OpenURL
>
> URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.
>
> Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.
>

> --
>
> dadiOH
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Sorted it thanks. Just ticked the box in IE options that says "Should
Internet Explorer check to see if it is the default browser?"
It did check, I said I wanted it to be and now the links in newsgroups work
fine.
Cheers for your help.