Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > France

France

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
behind me."
--General George S. Patton
------------------------------
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your
accordion."
--General Norman Schwartzkopf
------------------------------
"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
--Marge Simpson
------------------------------
"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure."
--Jacques Chirac, President of France

"As far as France is concerned, you're right."
--Rush Limbaugh
------------------------------
"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is
sitting in Paris sipping coffee."
--Regis Philbin
------------------------------
"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the
1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the
face for it."
-- John McCain , U.S. Senator from Arizona
------------------------------
"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into
Paris under a German flag."
--David Letterman
------------------------------
"Only thing worse than a Frenchman is a Frenchman who lives in Canada."
--Ted Nugent
------------------------------
"War without France would be like ... World War II."
--Unknown
------------------------------
"The favorite bumper sticker in Washington D.C. right now is one that
says 'First Iraq, then France.'"
--Tom Brokaw
------------------------------
"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its
national will fighting against Disney World and Big Macs than the Nazis?"
--Dennis Miller
------------------------------
"It is important to remember that the French have always been there when
they needed us."
--Alan Kent
-----------------------------
"The French will only agree to go to war when we've proven we've found
truffles in Iraq "
--Dennis Miller
------------------------------
The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the
London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to
Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and
Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent
fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling
their military.
--------------------------------
French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney
(AP), Paris , March 5, 2003
The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the
use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a
nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside of
Paris , caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to
surrender to a group of Czech tourists.

Fred Kasner

Rgr wrote:
> [...]
> truffles in Iraq "
> --Dennis Miller
> ------------------------------
> The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the
> London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to
> Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and
> Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent
> fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling
> their military.
> --------------------------------
> French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney
> (AP), Paris , March 5, 2003
> The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the
> use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a
> nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside of
> Paris , caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to

We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
revolution. We've repaid them twice: WWI and WWII. Their high point was
when under Napoleon they took on all of Europe. Since then it has been
nothing but military failure for them. Of course that is like comparing
the ancient Roman army to the present day Italian army.
FK

clot

Rgr wrote:
> [...]
> truffles in Iraq "
> --Dennis Miller
> ------------------------------
> The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the
> London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to
> Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and
> Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent
> fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively
> disabling their military.
> --------------------------------
> French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney
> (AP), Paris , March 5, 2003
> The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the
> use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a
> nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside
> of Paris , caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to

I laughed and I'm a francophile rather than a -phobe!

Aardvark

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:13:14 -0500, Fred Kasner wrote:

> We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
> revolution.

And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
sitting).

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

the other English teams put together

=?UTF-8?B?UsO0Z8Oqcg==?=

Aardvark wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:13:14 -0500, Fred Kasner wrote:
>

>>We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
>>revolution.

> And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
> incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
> sitting).

Perhaps the pedestal was, the statue itself is metal.

sammy

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Aardvark wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:13:14 -0500, Fred Kasner wrote:
>>

>>>We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
>>>revolution.

>> And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
>> incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
>> sitting).

> Perhaps the pedestal was, the statue itself is metal.

roger knows all.

pierre

Aardvark

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:34:23 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:13:14 -0500, Fred Kasner wrote:
>>

>>>We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
>>>revolution.

>> And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
>> incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
>> sitting).

> Perhaps the pedestal was, the statue itself is metal.

My mistake. I knew Runcorn red sandstone was used somewhere in it's
construction. Never knew it was metal although I should have known, what
with Gustav Eifell making things out of metal an' all.

Duh!

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04
You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

the other English teams put together

Oldus Fartus

Aardvark wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:34:23 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:
>
>> Aardvark wrote:

>>> And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
>>> incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
>>> sitting).

>> Perhaps the pedestal was, the statue itself is metal.

> My mistake. I knew Runcorn red sandstone was used somewhere in it's
> construction. Never knew it was metal although I should have known, what
> with Gustav Eifell making things out of metal an' all.

What a coincidence, so did Gustave Eiffel.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

WhzzKdd

"clot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsiwni.351$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the
>> London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to
>> Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and
>> Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent
>> fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively
>> disabling their military.
>> --------------------------------
>> French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney
>> (AP), Paris , March 5, 2003
>> The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the
>> use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a
>> nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside
>> of Paris , caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to
>> surrender to a group of Czech tourists.

> I laughed and I'm a francophile rather than a -phobe!

Yeah - no sense in getting ones shorts in a wad. I don't mind most jokes -
ethnic or not. Just about anyone can find something funny about any culture.
The big thing is also learning to laugh at your own (and yourself too).

I was also glad that Fred reminded us of the assistance we received from
France in the American revolution - but the truth is, even that was
extremely slow in coming.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

WhzzKdd wrote:
> "clot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>I laughed and I'm a francophile rather than a -phobe!

> Yeah - no sense in getting ones shorts in a wad. I don't mind most jokes -
> ethnic or not. Just about anyone can find something funny about any culture.
> The big thing is also learning to laugh at your own (and yourself too).
>
> I was also glad that Fred reminded us of the assistance we received from
> France in the American revolution - but the truth is, even that was
> extremely slow in coming.

It took Ben Franklin abandoning his "A penny saved is a penny etc" and
"Early to bed and early etc." philosophy and taking up the new
philosophy of "PARTY!" to win over the French to help us. But they
really did help and I extend a warm thank you to them for that.