Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > help

WhzzKdd

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Basically I just had a few questions about usenet in general. i was just
> wondering
> are discussions pretty lively usually or are the majority of people just
> getting files from the binary section. or is it both?

Both. It depends on what your interests are.

> do most people do
> both? how does that work? how do i get the files? i am logging onto the
> alt.binary.dvd but I dont really know how to get the files.

That would depend on what client (program) you are using to access Usenet.
(I could look that up, but I won't bother. It's the kind of information you
should try to include in your post when you ask your questions.)

> what can you
> tell me? any information you could give me would be very appreciated.
> thanks
> for the help

Try this: http://tgos.org/newbie/ for a lot of helpful info.

michael@hotmail.com

hey thanks for the help. i use news rover, sorry i didnt know that was
necessary. i was also wondering what is the best newsgroup for movies. any
help you coudl give me would be very appreciated

thanatoid

news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Thanks for the help man I appreciate it. But, do you think
> if file sharing ended usenet will end? like i dont want to
> pay 20 bucks a month and then have usenet get shut down
> because of copyright laws when all I want to do is talk to
> people, ya know

You should go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

and read up on the Usenet and its history. A lot of your
questions will be answered and links provided for more info.

Since its origins lie with an "indestructible" design by the US
military, it used to be common belief that the Usenet can never
die as opposed to a web site or an email address. However,
things going the way they are, I am not so sure anymore. IMO,
Giganews, your provider, are assholes. I spent about 4 years
with them until their utter arrogance and lack of customer
service led me to say "goodbye Giganews" (which is archived by
Google - and Giganews themselves, for another year or so
anyway...). While they *were* the best 8 or 10 years ago, there
are MANY excellent providers out there now, many much cheaper
and I am pretty sure ALL with better customer service.

But they do provide a pretty good general service. Whether 3
years' of retention of text messages is useful or insane is
another thing. But just try to get assistance from them. Also,
they don't carry nearly all the groups, arbitrarily add/delete
groups, and have recently started sending threatening letters to
people posting copyrighted material (which is what 99.5% of
everything on Usenet happens to be, except free... so far).

Anyway, enjoy it while you can. And if you just want to
communicate, you might want to look up what IRC is all about.

Have fun.

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> i use news rover,

Your posts are demonstrating a problem with NewsRover.

NewsRover is a decent newsagent for handling binaries, but it is not
practical to use for newsgroup discussions.

In a newsgroup discussion, when you reply, there should be a structure
consisting of attribution line, trimmed citation which shows
cite/'quote' marks, an empty line, and then your remarks under the empty
line which is under just the words which you are replying to. If you
are replying to more than one line or sentence, that may result in
separate inline remarks each in context.

NewsRover doesn't do that properly for you.

Here's an illustration of how newsgroup reply posts are supposed to look
http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html How should I use the
quoted text and arrange it with my own text?

--
Mike Easter

WhzzKdd

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> hey thanks for the help. i use news rover, sorry i didnt know that was
> necessary. i was also wondering what is the best newsgroup for movies. any
> help you coudl give me would be very appreciated

Dunno about the movies. I've not bothered with that. And I could have looked
in your headers and determined what newsreader software you had, but it's
just good etiquette for you to provide that information with your original
question. Especially since your question basically involved how to use the
software to do what you want <grin>

michael@hotmail.com

wait so do you not do binaries at all? do you think a lot of people dont do
any binaries and just use it to talk? why would people do that? arent there
btetter cheaper ways to discuss things?

Brian Whiting

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> wait so do you not do binaries at all? do you think a lot of people dont
> do
> any binaries and just use it to talk? why would people do that? arent
> there
> btetter cheaper ways to discuss things?

There's no cheaper way to talk about issues all over the world. It allows
you to create your own soapbox without having to get a permit to speak
(although you do have to put up with the idiots of the world talking back).
People need communication. People need to vent. These are necessary things
to keep people from blowing their tops. If you think these things are
unnecessary, what are you doing with a hotmail account? Do you have a cell
phone? An answering machine? Thirty years ago, these things were only on
Star Trek and Get Smart. Technology has snowballed, but it has snowballed
because we (human beings) want to talk.

--
Brian J. Whiting
(E-Mail Removed)

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

You are still not providing attributions and citations for context for
your replies.

If you are going to use newsrover for interacting in text groups, you
are going to have to reconstruct all of your replies by hand. I
recommend that you use newsrover for binaries and some other newsreader
for text discussions.

If you are familiar with your mailuser agent Outlook Express, you would
be better to use it for text newsgroup discussions than newsrover.

> wait so do you not do binaries at all?

Who are you talking to? And why do you think they don't do any
binaries?

> do you think a lot of people
> dont do any binaries and just use it to talk?

There are a lot of people discussing things on usenet.

> why would people do
> that? arent there btetter cheaper ways to discuss things?

There are many ways to discuss things; personal email, mailing lists,
newsgroups, webforums, chat and instant messaging, telephone, postal
mail, video conferencing, human contact

Usenet text groups have distinct advantages and disadvantages compared
to other methods.

--
Mike Easter

michael@hotmail.com

Hey
Mike,
Can you tell me what some of the advantages are to newsgroup discussions
over other discussion methods. Also, can you please tell me whether you
think everyone on Usenet downloads binaries. THank you for the help

Michael

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hey
> Mike,

Hey, michael. How come you don't pay attention to the information which
you've been given?

o here's how your newsgroup conversation is supposed to look
http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html Q1: What is "quoting"
in newsgroup postings? - Q2: How should I use the quoted text and
arrange it with my own text?

o your newsrover is no good for that purpose. You should use your OE
instead, and newsrover for the binaries

> Can you tell me what some of the advantages are to newsgroup
> discussions over other discussion methods.

o if you don't do it right, it has less advantages than there are if
you do it properly

o if you do it properly, your sent messages are stored in a Sent
folder, which webforums don't do

o if you do it properly, you are a part of a very large community
having a conversation, but you aren't doing it properly in a
conversational way.

> Also, can you please tell
> me whether you think everyone on Usenet downloads binaries.

There is a huge 'body' of usenet binary activity. There is a separate
huge body of usenet text activity. Some people do almost entirely one
and not the other. What difference does it make what percentage of
people who are texting are doing binaries? There are binary
downloaders. There are binary uploaders. There are those who share
binaries not by usenet newsgroups but other channels.

> THank you
> for the help

You aren't showing any signs of learning some things about conversing on
usenet yet.

--
Mike Easter