Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > help

michael@hotmail.com

guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help me?

Evan Platt

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:45:32 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help me?

No, no one can help you until you explain what you need help WITH.

michael@hotmail.com

Basically I just had a few questions about usenet in general. i was just
wondering
are discussions pretty lively usually or are the majority of people just
getting files from the binary section. or is it both? do most people do
both? how does that work? how do i get the files? i am logging onto the
alt.binary.dvd but I dont really know how to get the files. what can you
tell me? any information you could give me would be very appreciated. thanks
for the help

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help
> me?

Well, the good news is that you aren't a googlegrouper and you are using
a newsreader and a newsserver.

Your newsreader is NewsRover, which is pretty well equipped for
binaries, but I think that its text newsing is a little weak. From
reading at the NewsRover site, it sounds like it doesn't do attributes
and cites like a normal newsreader. If that is the case, I think the
NewsRover reader is supposed to paste from one pane into another to cite
something.

"News Rover will present you with a split screen where you can compose
your reply in the upper window and read, cut and paste from the orginal
message in the lower window."

Your newsserver is giganews, which will be well equipped for binaries as
well.

Or, it is also possible that someone is just funning around with us in
24hshd.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2007-07-18, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help me?

Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

<http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

and here

<http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

inc

Michael wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help me?

If you're serious, go to this site, and it should help you get started.

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=1

michael@hotmail.com

thanks for the help. is text newsing the most important or is almost
everything binaries? do you thinke veryone does binaries or is only some
people doing binaries? do you think most posts are binaries? how do i
download the binaries i cant figure it out?
also what is thed eal with googlegroups? is it better? do a lot of people
use it? can you download movies and stuff with it? any help you coudl give
me is very appreciated

thanks

Evan Platt

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:21:09 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>thanks for the help. is text newsing the most important or is almost
>everything binaries?

It depends. Text is for discussions. Binaries are for sharing files.

>do you thinke veryone does binaries or is only some
>people doing binaries?

Everyone = every single person. No, I don't think everyone is doing
binaries.

>do you think most posts are binaries?

In a binary group? Yes. In a text group? No.

>how do i download the binaries i cant figure it out?

I'd suggest reading the manual or online help for your newsreader.

>also what is thed eal with googlegroups?

Google Groups is for people not smart enough to use a real news
client.

>is it better?

No.

>do a lot of people use it?

I think so, but considering the stupidity and spam that originates
from GG's, I drop Google Groups posts.

>can you download movies and stuff with it?

No.

michael@hotmail.com

Thanks for the help man I appreciate it. But, do you think if file sharing
ended usenet will end? like i dont want to pay 20 bucks a month and then
have usenet get shut down because of copyright laws when all I want to do is
talk to people, ya know

Blinky the Shark

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> also what is thed eal with googlegroups? is it better? do a lot of people
> use it?

Read the page linked in my sig:

--
Blinky RLU 297263