Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Any advice on Ebay camcorder batteries?

Any advice on Ebay camcorder batteries?

Peabody

Not sure if this is the right newsgroup for this, but...

I know there's a degree of risk on anything you buy like this, but I
just wondered if, in general, there's a consensus on camcorder
batteries on Ebay. They appear to be of Chinese origin, and don't
pretend to be OEM. One seller I've looked at is Orphanbiker
(interesting name).

Anyway, are these generally well thought of - work fine and at 1/3
the price, or generally too good to be true? Are there specific
sellers known to deliver good stuff?

Thanks

Scott Schuckert

In article <dEnni.30$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peabody
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I know there's a degree of risk on anything you buy like this, but I
> just wondered if, in general, there's a consensus on camcorder
> batteries on Ebay. They appear to be of Chinese origin, and don't
> pretend to be OEM. One seller I've looked at is Orphanbiker
> (interesting name).
>
> Anyway, are these generally well thought of - work fine and at 1/3
> the price, or generally too good to be true? Are there specific
> sellers known to deliver good stuff?

My best advice would be - Don't. I've had enough troubles over the
years with NAME BRAND substitutes (e.g. Energizer) to bother with
no-name Chinese knock-offs. It may work fine (today); or problems may
range from simple charging problems (I've had batteries fail to stop
charging when full, or give inaccurate battery level readings) to
actual fire or electrical damage.

Not worth it to me.

SMS

Peabody wrote:
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup for this, but...
>
> I know there's a degree of risk on anything you buy like this, but I
> just wondered if, in general, there's a consensus on camcorder
> batteries on Ebay. They appear to be of Chinese origin, and don't
> pretend to be OEM. One seller I've looked at is Orphanbiker
> (interesting name).
>
> Anyway, are these generally well thought of - work fine and at 1/3
> the price, or generally too good to be true? Are there specific
> sellers known to deliver good stuff?
>
> Thanks

For camera and camcorder batteries I've used
"http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/caba.html" for a few years and not
had any problems.

I probably would avoid batteries from eBay, as there is no
accountability if you have any problems.

YMMV.