Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Won't turn on.

Won't turn on.

Reggie700

Hi,

My PC won't turn on unless I hold the start button and plug the power
lead in at the same time and even then I have to try doing it about 10
times.

Do I need a new power supply?

It's been doing this for a while now but the problem is getting worse
and now it happens every time I try to turn it on.

Thanks.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Reggie700 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My PC won't turn on unless I hold the start button and plug the power
> lead in at the same time and even then I have to try doing it about 10
> times.
>
> Do I need a new power supply?
>
> It's been doing this for a while now but the problem is getting worse
> and now it happens every time I try to turn it on.

Process of elimination. Could be the power switch, could be the power
supply, could be the motherboard. Do you know how to short the pins on
the motherboard to switch the computer on?
--
Please notice that I made no comment about his girlfriend.

Mike Easter

Reggie700 wrote:

> My PC won't turn on unless I hold the start button and plug the power
> lead in at the same time and even then I have to try doing it about 10
> times.
>
> Do I need a new power supply?

Most likely. There is a troubleshooting strategy to diagnose switch vs
PS problems.

> It's been doing this for a while now but the problem is getting worse
> and now it happens every time I try to turn it on.

Is this computer worth troubleshooting and possibly removing and
replacing the PS? Or switch?

Many's the time I've involved myself in such projects when the machine
wasn't worth it.

--
Mike Easter

Andy Petro

"Reggie700" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> My PC won't turn on unless I hold the start button and plug the power
> lead in at the same time and even then I have to try doing it about 10
> times.
>
> Do I need a new power supply?
>
> It's been doing this for a while now but the problem is getting worse
> and now it happens every time I try to turn it on.
>
> Thanks.

I have a similar problem. Occasionally my computer wont turn on .
Everything seems to be dead. The fan wont run .
I then unplug the power cord and then after a minute I plug it back ,
hold the start button , and then it works until the next time. I also
don't know if it is the power supply.. They are relatively cheap and
easy to install. You should try a new one.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a similar problem. Occasionally my computer wont turn on .
>Everything seems to be dead. The fan wont run .
>I then unplug the power cord and then after a minute I plug it back ,
>hold the start button , and then it works until the next time. I also
>don't know if it is the power supply.. They are relatively cheap and
>easy to install. You should try a new one.

By unplugging it you have reset the power supply - some do this.
But yes it's time to look for another one or a UPS.

--
Magnetic "wobbles" cause disk failure
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar.../2255256.shtml