Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax K100D K100DS Help

Pentax K100D K100DS Help

spock

Hello Everyone
I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
with poor quality focused images.
Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
better?
I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.

Thank you.

John Bean

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:18:38 +0930, "spock"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
>with poor quality focused images.

Not sure whether you mean "poor quality even when focused"
or "poor quality because of bad focus".

>Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
>better?

Every camera has complaints made against it by somebody. The
vast majority of happy users rarely make much noise about it
but a few malcontents make their problem sound like the end
of the world.

The short answer is there is no fundamental problem with the
camera. Nobody can comment yet on the revised version yet in
any case, such comment would be simply speculation.

--
John Bean

Pete D

"John Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:18:38 +0930, "spock"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
>>with poor quality focused images.

> Not sure whether you mean "poor quality even when focused"
> or "poor quality because of bad focus".
>
>>Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
>>better?

> Every camera has complaints made against it by somebody. The
> vast majority of happy users rarely make much noise about it
> but a few malcontents make their problem sound like the end
> of the world.
>
> The short answer is there is no fundamental problem with the
> camera. Nobody can comment yet on the revised version yet in
> any case, such comment would be simply speculation.
>
> --
> John Bean

So where did he hear this myth do you think John, sounds more made up to me?

The reviews I have seen have only been positive, even at DP Review and Phil
has a thing about Pentax in general.

John Bean

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:59:08 +1000, "Pete D"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>So where did he hear this myth do you think John, sounds more made up to me?

Who knows, but I doubt it was made up. You see all the same
crap I see in places like dpreview when someone complains
about fron/back focus, pattern noise, easily lost eyecups
(remember George?) and a whole list of other stuff. One
complaint generates torrents of "discussion", no matter that
the "issue" is real or imagined. Worse, you see people
jumping on the bandwagon and starting new threads on the
same subject, making it look like a bigger "issue" than it
actually is. I can easily imagine a casual visitor getting
the wrong impression of a camera if he hadn't followed the
earlier discussion.

The *vast* majority of happy users go completely unnoticed
in favour of the tiny but loud minority, same reason news
headlines never say "Everything is just fine".

>The reviews I have seen have only been positive, even at DP Review and Phil
>has a thing about Pentax in general.

Exactly.

--
John Bean

SMS

spock wrote:
> Hello Everyone
> I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
> with poor quality focused images.
> Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
> better?
> I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.

The DS adds dust reduction and support for the new generation of lenses
with Supersonic Drive Motor, but that's all. The image quality should be
the same. "Some people" are never happy, but all reviews I've read have
been positive about the K100D.

The K10D looks especially nice, and offers several features not
available on the lower-end model, besides the higher resolution. It's
well worth the extra $$$ if you can afford it. In the U.S. the body-only
sells for under $850. Two big advantages are the availability of a
vertical battery grip, and the included Li-Ion battery and charger. You
get more than 50% more shots per charge with the K10D that with the
K100D/DS. Another advantage is the "JPEG+RAW" capability.

J. F. Cornwall

spock wrote:

> Hello Everyone
> I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
> with poor quality focused images.
> Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
> better?
> I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.
>
> Thank you.

The only poorly focused images out of my K100D have been my own damn
fault... The camera is fine, the lenses I have used are fine, just the
photographer has had some fumbles.

Jim

spock

I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
comes out
which won't be available here until maybe september or
Do I get the K100D now?
Does the K100D have dust problem?

Thanks

"J. F. Cornwall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wkxni.94111$(E-Mail Removed)...
> spock wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone
>> I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
>> with poor quality focused images.
>> Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
>> better?
>> I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.
>>
>> Thank you.

> The only poorly focused images out of my K100D have been my own damn
> fault... The camera is fine, the lenses I have used are fine, just the
> photographer has had some fumbles.
>
> Jim

SayWhat

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:58:57 +0930, "spock" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
>comes out
>which won't be available here until maybe september or
>Do I get the K100D now?
>Does the K100D have dust problem?
>
>Thanks

***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

John Bean

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:28:13 GMT, SayWhat
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:58:57 +0930, "spock" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
>>comes out
>>which won't be available here until maybe september or
>>Do I get the K100D now?
>>Does the K100D have dust problem?
>>
>>Thanks

>***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

My Olympus E-1 has never had any kind of dust problem.

--
John Bean

SayWhat

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:41:09 +0100, John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:28:13 GMT, SayWhat
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:58:57 +0930, "spock" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
>>>comes out
>>>which won't be available here until maybe september or
>>>Do I get the K100D now?
>>>Does the K100D have dust problem?
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

>My Olympus E-1 has never had any kind of dust problem.

While the E-1 has a good method to deal with dust it has to deal with it because
it _is_ a problem. The ultrasonic cleaning will do nothing to particulates that
might adhere to the sensor, or dust that attaches when minor condensation
happens to get on the sensor when changing lenses under varying temperature and
humidity conditions, or static charges between you and the ground and air are
higher than can be compensated for by the ultrasonic motion.

Or you never changed your lens outside of laboratory "clean-room" conditions --
meaning you bought a very very expensive, noisy, and mirror-shaking P&S camera.

Just because your digital SLR has a better way of dealing with the dust problem
doesn't mean it's still not a major problem with ***ALL*** of them.