Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > script slowing down system?

script slowing down system?

sammy

hey,

for the past two weeks or so my system has been running slowly when i'm
online. i'm using windows xp home edition with a broadband connection. it
used to fly. websites are taking way too long to download.

i have just started to receive the following message in a pop-up windows
box:

"A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it
continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to
abort the script?"

My computer HAS become unresponsive lately and this is increasing in
frequency. I have to go to the task manager to "end program" to resuscitate
it.

any idea what's going on and how i can remedy the problem?

thanks,

sammy

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

sammy wrote:
> hey,
>
> for the past two weeks or so my system has been running slowly when i'm
> online. i'm using windows xp home edition with a broadband connection. it
> used to fly. websites are taking way too long to download.
>
> i have just started to receive the following message in a pop-up windows
> box:
>
> "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it
> continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to
> abort the script?"
>
> My computer HAS become unresponsive lately and this is increasing in
> frequency. I have to go to the task manager to "end program" to resuscitate
> it.

Run a good antivirus and run a good antispyware. And stop using Internet
Explorer. Go to groups.google.com to look over the many responses to
pretty much the same question from past postings.

John \C\

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message

> now THAT was an interesting exchange. but i'm still stuck with this

computer
> slow down problem.

Take XP off and install 98SE or ME.

HJ

sammy

"John "C"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...

> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
>

>> now THAT was an interesting exchange. but i'm still stuck with this

> computer
>> slow down problem.

> Take XP off and install 98SE or ME.
>
> HJ

does anyone have any idea what "scripts" are involved. is it stuff like
active x or java or what?

John \C\

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
news:469eb8bf$0$4705$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John "C"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> >
> > "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
> >

> >> now THAT was an interesting exchange. but i'm still stuck with this

> > computer
> >> slow down problem.

> > Take XP off and install 98SE or ME.
> >
> > HJ
> >

> does anyone have any idea what "scripts" are involved. is it stuff like
> active x or java or what?

Honestly, I don't know. I seems that the guys that know are being "asses"
and won't tell you. All I can tell you is that I have 4 machines and put XP
one one of them and that machine runs at 25% the speed as the other three
which have 98SE and ME on them.

I hope that someone that has tech. knowledge will be willing to help you
out.

HJ

p.s. I hate Vista even more!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

John "C" wrote:
> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
> news:469eb8bf$0$4705$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"John "C"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:y_6dnWIa5_F9OgPbnZ2dnUVZ_sK3nZ2d@centurytel .net...

>>>computer

>>>Take XP off and install 98SE or ME.
>>>
>>>HJ
>>>

>>does anyone have any idea what "scripts" are involved. is it stuff like
>>active x or java or what?

> Honestly, I don't know. I seems that the guys that know are being "asses"
> and won't tell you. All I can tell you is that I have 4 machines and put XP
> one one of them and that machine runs at 25% the speed as the other three
> which have 98SE and ME on them.
>
> I hope that someone that has tech. knowledge will be willing to help you
> out.

I gave him a reasonable answer, he chose to ignore it.

sammy

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> John "C" wrote:
>> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
>> news:469eb8bf$0$4705$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>"John "C"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:y_6dnWIa5_F9OgPbnZ2dnUVZ_sK3nZ2d@centuryte l.net...

>>>does anyone have any idea what "scripts" are involved. is it stuff like
>>>active x or java or what?

>> Honestly, I don't know. I seems that the guys that know are being
>> "asses"
>> and won't tell you. All I can tell you is that I have 4 machines and put
>> XP
>> one one of them and that machine runs at 25% the speed as the other three
>> which have 98SE and ME on them.
>>
>> I hope that someone that has tech. knowledge will be willing to help you
>> out.

> I gave him a reasonable answer, he chose to ignore it.

here is roger's reasonable answer:
> Run a good antivirus and run a good antispyware. And stop using Internet
> Explorer. Go to groups.google.com to look over the many responses to
> pretty much the same question from past postings.

roger, i suppose your answer was "reasonable," but it told me exactly
nothing. please post a few of the "many responses" from "much the same
question past postings." i couldn't find anything on point myself, at least
nothing that made sense.

so, as i said, i did a search in groups and came up with very little.

i run: etrust pest patrol, spy sweeper and ez antivurus. i have done sweeps
with all of them. they have not uncovered any problems.

now, what do you know about SCRIPTS, like the error message tells me is the
problem?

if you don't know, you don't know. nothing to be ashamed off. jeez. touchy.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

sammy wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>>John "C" wrote:
>>
>>>"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
>>>news:469eb8bf$0$4705$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>>Honestly, I don't know. I seems that the guys that know are being
>>>"asses"
>>>and won't tell you. All I can tell you is that I have 4 machines and put
>>>XP
>>>one one of them and that machine runs at 25% the speed as the other three
>>>which have 98SE and ME on them.
>>>
>>>I hope that someone that has tech. knowledge will be willing to help you
>>>out.

>>I gave him a reasonable answer, he chose to ignore it.

> here is roger's reasonable answer:
>
>>Run a good antivirus and run a good antispyware. And stop using Internet
>>Explorer. Go to groups.google.com to look over the many responses to
>>pretty much the same question from past postings.

> roger, i suppose your answer was "reasonable," but it told me exactly
> nothing. please post a few of the "many responses" from "much the same
> question past postings." i couldn't find anything on point myself, at least
> nothing that made sense.
>
> so, as i said, i did a search in groups and came up with very little.
>
> i run: etrust pest patrol, spy sweeper and ez antivurus. i have done sweeps
> with all of them. they have not uncovered any problems.

You didn't exactly mention that until this point.

> now, what do you know about SCRIPTS, like the error message tells me is the
> problem?

The only time I've received a message like that was in some, err, adult
sites. Which I prompty navigated away from and didn't go back again.

> if you don't know, you don't know. nothing to be ashamed off. jeez. touchy.

I don't know. I do know that my extra little bit of advice of not using
Internet Explorer still stands. But in the meantime, why don't you look
over this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

I would also make sure the cache is flushed, double flushed and triple
flushed. And your overall slowdown may not be directly related to this
script problem, this may just be the most obvious red flag.

Tommy McClure

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
news:469ec660$0$16607$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > John "C" wrote:
> >> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
> >> news:469eb8bf$0$4705$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Honestly, I don't know. I seems that the guys that know are being
> >> "asses"
> >> and won't tell you. All I can tell you is that I have 4 machines and

put
> >> XP
> >> one one of them and that machine runs at 25% the speed as the other

three
> >> which have 98SE and ME on them.
> >>
> >> I hope that someone that has tech. knowledge will be willing to help

you
> >> out.

> > I gave him a reasonable answer, he chose to ignore it.

> here is roger's reasonable answer:
> > Run a good antivirus and run a good antispyware. And stop using Internet
> > Explorer. Go to groups.google.com to look over the many responses to
> > pretty much the same question from past postings.

> roger, i suppose your answer was "reasonable," but it told me exactly
> nothing. please post a few of the "many responses" from "much the same
> question past postings." i couldn't find anything on point myself, at

least
> nothing that made sense.
>
> so, as i said, i did a search in groups and came up with very little.
>
> i run: etrust pest patrol, spy sweeper and ez antivurus. i have done

sweeps
> with all of them. they have not uncovered any problems.
>
> now, what do you know about SCRIPTS, like the error message tells me is

the
> problem?
>
> if you don't know, you don't know. nothing to be ashamed off. jeez.

touchy.

I have had some problems with scripts lately, seems it helped to use IE
instead of FF, and then I tried Deepnet, it allows one to turn off
javascripts and active x from a menu click. Don't seem to cause many script
errors that way. Deepnet is very similar to IE, and uses the convenient tab
system. I use AVG, Spybot S&D, and Adaware because they're free and they
work. I still haven't found out the scripts that always caused me trouble in
FF. I think Gooblebar was the culprit because I had to reinstall and the
script stalling didn't seem to start until then. I couldn't believe how much
faster everything was with W2000 after reinstalling. All those fonts, extra
programs resident , and not to mention the thousands of necessary updates
had clogged my system. Unbelievable. Even Ccleaner didn't make much
difference. That's the best way to speed up. Get Regcleaner 4.3 or use
msconfig to see what garbage you have on your pc. Lots of stuff can be
offloaded for later use and you can get pretty good speedup that way. Takes
a bit of knowledge, I do it for people sometimes.

--
Tommy
REMOVETHIStmccREMOVETHISAThalDASHpcDOTorg change everything capitalized to

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Tommy McClure wrote:

> I have had some problems with scripts lately, seems it helped to use
> IE instead of FF,

Umm, that is sort of backwards, innit?

> and then I tried Deepnet, it allows one to turn off javascripts and
> active x from a menu click.

So does any modern browser, such as Firefox, Opera ... If you consider
adding the Firefox/SeaMonkey extension PrefBar, then JavaScript, Java,
Flash, whatever is a checkbox right there in front of you.
http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

> Don't seem to cause many script errors that way. Deepnet is very
> similar to IE, and uses the convenient tab system.

Deepnet is a *shell* over IE, so sure it is similar. <g> ..and most
likely with all the IE insecurities. I find it funny that the
deepnetexplorer.com web site claims: "Full IE Compatibility"

--
-bts