Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > 70-216? Not that tough.

70-216? Not that tough.

Toby Jennings

After I earned my MCSE NT 4 back in 2000 I got a little bit lazy. You
know how it is: the money starts rolling in and you rest on your success
for a while. Well, I had good intentions. I used a Win95 test for the
client requirement so I went ahead and took the NT4 Wkstation test so I
could qualify for the free accelerated Win2k exam...I got the voucher
but never took the test.

So now I'm working on upgrading my MCSE:NT4 to MCSE:2k:Security and
along the way I've earned my MCSA:2k (With that laughable 70-218, I
couldn't think of a reason not to do it).

I'm prepping for 70-217 now, and the last exam I wrote was 70-216 on 7/1
-- the capstone for my MCSA, as it turns out.

Anyway, leading up to the 70-216, I was getting a little anxious,
because this is how I study:

1. Work with the technology.
2. Use a book to brush up on the MS stuff I don't use (RAS and IAS, for
instance; I have cisco for that).
3. Test simulators are expensive. So I don't bother.
4. Braindumps? Wimps. Seriously, I'd never heard of "testking" before I
started reading 70-216 horror stories.

This has worked for every exam I've taken so far, but I started noticing
a lot of people speaking in hushed tones about 70-216. Heck, even
Minasi mentioned hearing that "something called 'network infrastructure'
is hard" in the intro to his (latest edition of) /Mastering Windows
2000/. Repeatedly, people have mentioned that 70-216 is the hardest of
the MCSE tests.

Okay, guys, you got me. I was all worried over nothing. Was that really
the hardest? Man, this is gonna be a cakewalk. After 70-217, 70-214, and
70-220 I'll be done with MS exams for a while, and if they're easier
than 70-216, this ought to be a bagatelle.

But really, for whom was 70-216 a difficult exam? I didn't get a 1000 on
it, but I nailed it with a 935 (my highest score, excepting 70-218,
since Internetworking TCP/IP on NT 4, on which I scored 931).

I might sound like I'm bragging here. I probably am.

Wayne

"Toby Jennings" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> But really, for whom was 70-216 a difficult exam? >

For whom? Desktop and Server Admins who probably have never touched the
networking side. Creating groups and users, managing printers, etc. For
them, it's a great test of the most essential services needed for AD,
specifically DNS.

> I might sound like I'm bragging here. I probably am.

Yes. Not everyone has the experienced background you have.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz

=?Utf-8?B?RGFycmVuamM=?=

I heard all the horror stories as well so I prepared well. I passed it a year
ago with a score of 900 from memory. It was a challenging exam but if you
know networking and DNS, it's straight forward.

I need to prepare to upgrade from MCSE 2000 to 2003 now.