Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Network Admin Work Load

Network Admin Work Load

James

Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work for was
just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.

The company has about 150 computer users through 8 locations. I am
responsible for the following

- 5 terminal servers running windows 2000
- 2 Domain controllers running windows 2000
- 1 exchange 2003 server
- 1 ISA server
- Performaing nightly backups

Also responsible for providing any "IT support" to the users, which isn't
required too often. There is one other IT guy who is repsonsible for our
SQL database.

Now heres my concern. I've got things set up nicely, I think anyways.
Everything runs smooth. I've made manuals for all duties, and log all
problems, so if I'm away someone could try to cover for me.

I have A LOT of spare time during my day. Is this the usual for a network
admin/support position? I could probably get away with working 4 hour days.

Like I said I am worried about being laid off, and am just curious if small
workloads are the norm for IT workers, when everything is working anyways...

Thanks

CBIC

James wrote:
> Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work
> for was just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.
>
> The company has about 150 computer users through 8 locations. I am
> responsible for the following
>
> - 5 terminal servers running windows 2000
> - 2 Domain controllers running windows 2000
> - 1 exchange 2003 server
> - 1 ISA server
> - Performaing nightly backups
>
> Also responsible for providing any "IT support" to the users, which
> isn't required too often. There is one other IT guy who is
> repsonsible for our SQL database.
>
> Now heres my concern. I've got things set up nicely, I think anyways.
> Everything runs smooth. I've made manuals for all duties, and log all
> problems, so if I'm away someone could try to cover for me.
>
> I have A LOT of spare time during my day. Is this the usual for a
> network admin/support position? I could probably get away with
> working 4 hour days.
> Like I said I am worried about being laid off, and am just curious if
> small workloads are the norm for IT workers, when everything is
> working anyways...
> Thanks

I work for a smaller company and I have LOTS of free time. Where you messed
up IMO was making manuals. My #1 rule is:Write nothing down. The lusers
think they work with magic boxes because they have no clue how things work.
In my user's world, I'm inexpenable. They freak out when I take a day off.
I'll never get laid off from here. In fact, I had a job offer from a
different company the other day and I got a raise just by mentioning it to
my boss. Remember this: In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38

kpg

> Remember this: In the land of
> the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

And his first order of business should be to
outlaw pointy sticks.

kpg
www.MCNGP.com
What? Me Worry?

Briscobar

James <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:

<snip>

I'm not the network admin, and I'm not the database admin, and I don't write
the custom programs that the lusers use. That job belongs to a guy who's in
3 days a week. My responsibilities here basically boil down to:
Help desk.
Troubleshoot anything/everything when Steve's not here.
Write Crystal Reports when they're required.
Go to trade shows to set up handheld scanners/printers/computers/fax
machines (3 a year).
Install apps as required.
Build new machines as required.
Soak up any and all information I can.
And post to mpce.mcse at will.

Even all this does not keep me busy 8 hours a day. Even when Steve's 3 days
a week, he shoots the breeze for at least an hour before he does anything.
The point is, as long as you have things working properly, you've done your
job properly. Once they're configured correctly, unless you want to change
something, computers will run until they physically break. If they do, then
they weren't configured properly. And it sounds like you've got everything
under control. My advice is to keep doing whatever it is you do throughout
the day, but when the boss walks by, make it look like you're busy.

--
KB

MCNGP #26
nerd32768 looks up porn on the internet all day. Then he visits
www.mcngp.com.

Neil

did you hear "Briscobar" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> nerd32768

where is the little fart?

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Frisbyterian: when you die, your soul goes up on the roof.

FrisbeeŽ

news:Xns9697A5DF99Aneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.16. ..
> did you hear "Briscobar" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> nerd32768

> where is the little fart?

Brat Camp?

http://abc.go.com/primetime/bratcamp/

Ben Smith

says...
> Subject: Network Admin Work Load
> From: James <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
>
> Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work for was
> just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.
>
> The company has about 150 computer users through 8 locations. I am
> responsible for the following
>
> - 5 terminal servers running windows 2000
> - 2 Domain controllers running windows 2000
> - 1 exchange 2003 server
> - 1 ISA server
> - Performaing nightly backups
>
> Also responsible for providing any "IT support" to the users, which isn't
> required too often. There is one other IT guy who is repsonsible for our
> SQL database.

This is a pretty light workload. Somewhere between 20 to 40 servers per
admin is a good metric, however you do have a wide range of server
types, which makes you more valuable (like an aging utility infielder).

QBob

It really depends on your environment and what you are trained to do. I
worked in an environment not much larger than yours before the job I am in
now, but had over 300 users in 18 locations that I provided support for and
did server admin as well. I am now in a job with less users, but it is a
software company with lots of applications, including SQL, Exchange,
multiple DCs and tons of apps servers. I am responsible for nearly 100
servers and backups so there is always something to do. I take any free
time I have now along with the knowledge I gain each day in working towards
my MCSE. Two more tests and I will be there. I would recommend using your
free time to better the environment you are in and then study, learn and get
certified for your next job in case the axe does fall. HTH.
"Ben Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> says...
>> Subject: Network Admin Work Load
>> From: James <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
>>
>> Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work for
>> was
>> just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.
>>
>> The company has about 150 computer users through 8 locations. I am
>> responsible for the following
>>
>> - 5 terminal servers running windows 2000
>> - 2 Domain controllers running windows 2000
>> - 1 exchange 2003 server
>> - 1 ISA server
>> - Performaing nightly backups
>>
>> Also responsible for providing any "IT support" to the users, which isn't
>> required too often. There is one other IT guy who is repsonsible for our
>> SQL database.
>>

> This is a pretty light workload. Somewhere between 20 to 40 servers per
> admin is a good metric, however you do have a wide range of server
> types, which makes you more valuable (like an aging utility infielder).

zenner

If you are doing your job correctly, as an System Administrator or System
manager...there should be NO drama. Anytime an administrator has a high
likelihood that the system will break, that just illustrates PPPP.
Seriously, if your job is in jeopardy "because" you do it too well,
something is wrong with management or you have out-grown the position.

What many IT workers fail to realize it the abnormal amount of time spent in
keeping up to date in our field. Seems many of us think of our outside
reading as a hobby, entertainment...instead of what it actually is, staying
current in the field. One thing I suggest is asking for
reimbursement/charging your employer for things like subscriptions to
magazines, books, manuals, attendance at seminars (local as well as those
that require travel). This serves to show them that your off-duty reading is
company related.

Think of your job much like a firefighter, The more fires you have to
fight...only serves to prove that you didn't do the fire prevention work. If
a fire happens (lets say a new, wild virus or unknown Hacker exploit comes
on the scene)...your speedy reaction to contain, conserve evidence,
detect/prevent secondary infections...are what you should be judged on.

If you want to be judged on how much work you do each day, instead of how
much gets done...just make sure you setup every new mail account, every new
user, every policy, permission, security change One-at-a-time. That will
fill your day with things to do, but is that really the mark of a good
administrator?

Old fashioned as it seems...my over-ridding ambition in system operations is
to do the job so well, that I'm invisible. Even in jobs that I've quit,
outgrown or imprudently been let go. Nine times out of ten, they have asked
for me to return on a consultancy basis, if not attempted to seduce me back
with higher salary. The key is to let management know what you are
doing...not to let the users wonder why you are not doing it.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work for
> was just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.
>
> The company has about 150 computer users through 8 locations. I am
> responsible for the following
>
> - 5 terminal servers running windows 2000
> - 2 Domain controllers running windows 2000
> - 1 exchange 2003 server
> - 1 ISA server
> - Performaing nightly backups
>
> Also responsible for providing any "IT support" to the users, which isn't
> required too often. There is one other IT guy who is repsonsible for our
> SQL database.
>
> Now heres my concern. I've got things set up nicely, I think anyways.
> Everything runs smooth. I've made manuals for all duties, and log all
> problems, so if I'm away someone could try to cover for me.
>
> I have A LOT of spare time during my day. Is this the usual for a network
> admin/support position? I could probably get away with working 4 hour
> days.
>
> Like I said I am worried about being laid off, and am just curious if
> small workloads are the norm for IT workers, when everything is working
> anyways...
>
> Thanks

T-Bone

"James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Like I said I am worried about being laid off, and am just curious if

small
> workloads are the norm for IT workers, when everything is working

anyways...

I've heard say that you can tell that your net admin is doing a good job by
the fact they appear to have nothing to do.
--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL