Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File Sharing Problem (Linksys)

File Sharing Problem (Linksys)

Wayne

Greetings,

After a couple of days reading (and reading) I am more confused than when I
began. So, I need help...

I have two computers, running XP(sp2) Home.
Computer A has 3 users (Wife, Son, and me)
Linksys Router WRT54G (firmware up to date)
No DSL or Cable modem
File Sharing enabled under my account.
Firewall turned off
Internal router security WAP is up and running along with limited IP
addressing.

Computer B has 1 user (me)
Linksys adapter WUSB54G
File Sharing enabled
Firewall turned off
WAP security is up and running.

I have limited services to only TCP/IP.

The problem is that I can not see any other computers on the network. Until
I turned off the firewall, I couldn't even see my local files that were
shared. I know that the wireless connection is up and running. Everything in
windows says it is, as well as the Linksys monitor program.

What could I be doing wrong? Where have I not checked? I have gone to
Microsoft and read many articles (with only partial help). I have read other
threads with setup of command lines and other such things (with no help).
The only thing that I have not done is setup accounts on my office computer
for my wife and son, it just seems a waste. Plus, it seems illogical and a
pain to the office setup.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...

thanks,
Wayne

/_\\/-

Defined the same Workgroup name for both computers?

"Wayne" <wheidler(delete)@email.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
>
> After a couple of days reading (and reading) I am more confused than when

> began. So, I need help...
>
> I have two computers, running XP(sp2) Home.
> Computer A has 3 users (Wife, Son, and me)
> Linksys Router WRT54G (firmware up to date)
> No DSL or Cable modem
> File Sharing enabled under my account.
> Firewall turned off
> Internal router security WAP is up and running along with limited

IP
> addressing.
>
> Computer B has 1 user (me)
> Linksys adapter WUSB54G
> File Sharing enabled
> Firewall turned off
> WAP security is up and running.
>
> I have limited services to only TCP/IP.
>
> The problem is that I can not see any other computers on the network.

Until
> I turned off the firewall, I couldn't even see my local files that were
> shared. I know that the wireless connection is up and running. Everything

in
> windows says it is, as well as the Linksys monitor program.
>
> What could I be doing wrong? Where have I not checked? I have gone to
> Microsoft and read many articles (with only partial help). I have read

other
> threads with setup of command lines and other such things (with no help).
> The only thing that I have not done is setup accounts on my office

computer
> for my wife and son, it just seems a waste. Plus, it seems illogical and a
> pain to the office setup.
>
> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...
>
> thanks,
> Wayne

Jack

Hi

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Wayne" <wheidler(delete)@email.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
>
> After a couple of days reading (and reading) I am more confused than when

> began. So, I need help...
>
> I have two computers, running XP(sp2) Home.
> Computer A has 3 users (Wife, Son, and me)
> Linksys Router WRT54G (firmware up to date)
> No DSL or Cable modem
> File Sharing enabled under my account.
> Firewall turned off
> Internal router security WAP is up and running along with limited

IP
> addressing.
>
> Computer B has 1 user (me)
> Linksys adapter WUSB54G
> File Sharing enabled
> Firewall turned off
> WAP security is up and running.
>
> I have limited services to only TCP/IP.
>
> The problem is that I can not see any other computers on the network.

Until
> I turned off the firewall, I couldn't even see my local files that were
> shared. I know that the wireless connection is up and running. Everything

in
> windows says it is, as well as the Linksys monitor program.
>
> What could I be doing wrong? Where have I not checked? I have gone to
> Microsoft and read many articles (with only partial help). I have read

other
> threads with setup of command lines and other such things (with no help).
> The only thing that I have not done is setup accounts on my office

computer
> for my wife and son, it just seems a waste. Plus, it seems illogical and a
> pain to the office setup.
>
> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...
>
> thanks,
> Wayne

Carey Holzman

http://www.careyholzman.com/xp/home/xphome-1.htm

Carey

"Wayne" <wheidler(delete)@email.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
>
> After a couple of days reading (and reading) I am more confused than when
> I began. So, I need help...
>
> I have two computers, running XP(sp2) Home.
> Computer A has 3 users (Wife, Son, and me)
> Linksys Router WRT54G (firmware up to date)
> No DSL or Cable modem
> File Sharing enabled under my account.
> Firewall turned off
> Internal router security WAP is up and running along with limited
> IP addressing.
>
> Computer B has 1 user (me)
> Linksys adapter WUSB54G
> File Sharing enabled
> Firewall turned off
> WAP security is up and running.
>
> I have limited services to only TCP/IP.
>
> The problem is that I can not see any other computers on the network.
> Until I turned off the firewall, I couldn't even see my local files that
> were shared. I know that the wireless connection is up and running.
> Everything in windows says it is, as well as the Linksys monitor program.
>
> What could I be doing wrong? Where have I not checked? I have gone to
> Microsoft and read many articles (with only partial help). I have read
> other threads with setup of command lines and other such things (with no
> help). The only thing that I have not done is setup accounts on my office
> computer for my wife and son, it just seems a waste. Plus, it seems
> illogical and a pain to the office setup.
>
> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...
>
> thanks,
> Wayne

mikeFNB

good site

mike

"Carey Holzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.careyholzman.com/xp/home/xphome-1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "Wayne" <wheidler(delete)@email.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Greetings,
> >
> > After a couple of days reading (and reading) I am more confused than

when
> > I began. So, I need help...
> >
> > I have two computers, running XP(sp2) Home.
> > Computer A has 3 users (Wife, Son, and me)
> > Linksys Router WRT54G (firmware up to date)
> > No DSL or Cable modem
> > File Sharing enabled under my account.
> > Firewall turned off
> > Internal router security WAP is up and running along with limited
> > IP addressing.
> >
> > Computer B has 1 user (me)
> > Linksys adapter WUSB54G
> > File Sharing enabled
> > Firewall turned off
> > WAP security is up and running.
> >
> > I have limited services to only TCP/IP.
> >
> > The problem is that I can not see any other computers on the network.
> > Until I turned off the firewall, I couldn't even see my local files that
> > were shared. I know that the wireless connection is up and running.
> > Everything in windows says it is, as well as the Linksys monitor

program.

> > What could I be doing wrong? Where have I not checked? I have gone to
> > Microsoft and read many articles (with only partial help). I have read
> > other threads with setup of command lines and other such things (with no
> > help). The only thing that I have not done is setup accounts on my

office
> > computer for my wife and son, it just seems a waste. Plus, it seems
> > illogical and a pain to the office setup.
> >
> > Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...
> >
> > thanks,
> > Wayne

Carey Holzman

Thank you!

Carey

"mikeFNB" <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote in message
news:H5Lxd.1273$(E-Mail Removed)...
> good site
>
> mike
>
> "Carey Holzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.careyholzman.com/xp/home/xphome-1.htm
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Wayne" <wheidler(delete)@email.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > After a couple of days reading (and reading) I am more confused than

> when
>> > I began. So, I need help...
>> >
>> > I have two computers, running XP(sp2) Home.
>> > Computer A has 3 users (Wife, Son, and me)
>> > Linksys Router WRT54G (firmware up to date)
>> > No DSL or Cable modem
>> > File Sharing enabled under my account.
>> > Firewall turned off
>> > Internal router security WAP is up and running along with
>> > limited
>> > IP addressing.
>> >
>> > Computer B has 1 user (me)
>> > Linksys adapter WUSB54G
>> > File Sharing enabled
>> > Firewall turned off
>> > WAP security is up and running.
>> >
>> > I have limited services to only TCP/IP.
>> >
>> > The problem is that I can not see any other computers on the network.
>> > Until I turned off the firewall, I couldn't even see my local files
>> > that
>> > were shared. I know that the wireless connection is up and running.
>> > Everything in windows says it is, as well as the Linksys monitor

> program.
>> >
>> > What could I be doing wrong? Where have I not checked? I have gone to
>> > Microsoft and read many articles (with only partial help). I have read
>> > other threads with setup of command lines and other such things (with
>> > no
>> > help). The only thing that I have not done is setup accounts on my

> office
>> > computer for my wife and son, it just seems a waste. Plus, it seems
>> > illogical and a pain to the office setup.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> > Wayne

Wayne

THANKS...

I followed both suggestions and it is NOW WORKING.

I can not tell you have thankful I am...

Merry Christmas

Carey Holzman

That's great! Thanks for letting us know!

Carey