Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop admin password recovery

Laptop admin password recovery

Lisa Addison

I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have
since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can
anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to take
out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the
time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

TIA,
Ty Addison

Evan Platt

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, "Lisa Addison"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have
>since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
>laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can
>anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to take
>out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the
>time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

Assuming this is Windows XP...

Replace XP with 2000, NT, etc.

GreenieLeBrun

Lisa Addison wrote:
> I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I
> have since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print
> anything from this laptop to a different printer than what was set
> when I set the password. Can anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the
> admin passowrd? Do I need to take out the CMOS battery? Any legit
> ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the time/date, let alone try to
> modify any system files.
>

> TIA,
> Ty Addison

Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ . There you will find
zip files that will let you create boot floppy disks or bootable CDs
that will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
operating system (Win2000, XP and Vista are all NT class operating system).

Plato

Lisa Addison wrote:

> I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have
> since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
> laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can
> anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to take
> out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the
> time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
SECURITY

Cheekycharlie

Hey Pratt the ****, why dont you go and %^*( yourself you slimey
irresponsible GIT
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, "Lisa Addison"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have
>>since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from
>>this
>>laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password.
>>Can
>>anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to take
>>out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the
>>time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

> Assuming this is Windows XP...
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
>
> Replace XP with 2000, NT, etc.

-----------------
-----------------

why?

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, Lisa Addison wrote:

>I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have

This will be a password for the laptop or the operating system?

>since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
>laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can

Ah, okay you mean the Administrator password for some version of MS
WIndows. Was that guess right?

>anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to take
>out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the

Still not sure which password? Why would the operating system password
for administrator be in the CMOS memory.

>time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

As mentioned for NT to Vista,
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

You could have also saved some time and tried looking at past posts, in
24HSHD - http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
it's been mentioned before.

Then again you login with the backup administrator account and sort your
problem.

>TIA,
>Ty Addison

Me

Evan Platt

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:03:42 GMT, why?

>On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, Lisa Addison wrote:
>
>>I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have

>This will be a password for the laptop or the operating system?
>
>>since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
>>laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can

>Ah, okay you mean the Administrator password for some version of MS
>WIndows. Was that guess right?

Dude, be careful, you'll **** Cheeky Charlie off.. lol.

why?

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:51:04 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:03:42 GMT, why?
>

>>On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, Lisa Addison wrote:
>>
>>>I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have

>>This will be a password for the laptop or the operating system?
>>
>>>since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
>>>laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can

>>Ah, okay you mean the Administrator password for some version of MS
>>WIndows. Was that guess right?

>Dude, be careful, you'll **** Cheeky Charlie off.. lol.

I was considering a reply to the 4000 posts / Level 10 tech to CC
something like -

Nothing except you have to make a point of mentioning it just to be
daft.

Haven't quite got the ending right yet.

Me

Lisa Addison

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, Lisa Addison wrote:
>
> >I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have

> This will be a password for the laptop or the operating system?
>
> >since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from

this
> >laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password.

Can

> Ah, okay you mean the Administrator password for some version of MS
> WIndows. Was that guess right?
>
> >anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to

take
> >out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the

> Still not sure which password? Why would the operating system password
> for administrator be in the CMOS memory.
>
> >time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

> As mentioned for NT to Vista,
> http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> You could have also saved some time and tried looking at past posts, in
> 24HSHD - http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
> it's been mentioned before.
>
> Then again you login with the backup administrator account and sort your
> problem.
>

> >TIA,
> >Ty Addison
> >

> Me

Thanks to all who have replied with useful information, and/or questions. I
forgot to mention the OS and laptop model. It is an older (PIII) IBM
Thinkpad running WinXP Pro.

Thanks again,
Ty Addison

english_dude@london.com

this video will show you how to find an Xp password

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/317458...l_xp_password/