Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FONTS

FONTS

BARBARA MOHR

When I go to the Control Panel and open the Fonts Folder I find many fonts
that I would like to use. However, I cannot bring those fonts up in any
application in which I would like to use them. How do I get fonts from the
fonts folder into the applications in which I need them? I follow the
instructions in the Help section, but cannot seem to make those instructions
work. Someone please unconfuse me.

thanatoid

"BARBARA MOHR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> When I go to the Control Panel and open the Fonts Folder I
> find many fonts that I would like to use. However, I
> cannot bring those fonts up in any application in which I
> would like to use them. How do I get fonts from the fonts
> folder into the applications in which I need them? I
> follow the instructions in the Help section, but cannot
> seem to make those instructions work. Someone please
> unconfuse me.

Not all applications can use all fonts.

Also, fonts have to be "installed", not just files sitting
somewhere on your system.

I have found the following to be just great (and I only have the
lite version, the full version was not free before):

http://www.moonsoftware.com/fxplorer.asp

They also have several other absolutely great utilities. A great
software company.

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

BARBARA MOHR wrote:
> When I go to the Control Panel and open the Fonts Folder I find many fonts
> that I would like to use. However, I cannot bring those fonts up in any
> application in which I would like to use them. How do I get fonts from the
> fonts folder into the applications in which I need them? I follow the
> instructions in the Help section, but cannot seem to make those instructions
> work. Someone please unconfuse me.

While in Control Panel's Fonts folder, click on File, Install new fonts,
and surf to the font file(s) you want to use. Select them, click Add.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rgr wrote:

> BARBARA MOHR wrote:
>> When I go to the Control Panel and open the Fonts Folder I find many
>> fonts that I would like to use. However, I cannot bring those fonts
>> up in any application in which I would like to use them. How do I
>> get fonts from the fonts folder into the applications in which I
>> need them? I follow the instructions in the Help section, but
>> cannot seem to make those instructions work. Someone please
>> unconfuse me.

> While in Control Panel's Fonts folder, click on File, Install new
> fonts, and surf to the font file(s) you want to use. Select them,
> click Add.

If the fonts are not installed, that is certainly the way to do it.
However, Ms. Mohr says they are visible in the "Fonts Folder" which
would indicate they already are installed.

Ms. Mohr does need to state which applications can't seem to access
them, and of course the OS and version would help. And where was the
"Help section" as well.

--
-bts

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>

>>BARBARA MOHR wrote:
>>
>>>When I go to the Control Panel and open the Fonts Folder I find many
>>>fonts that I would like to use. However, I cannot bring those fonts
>>>up in any application in which I would like to use them. How do I
>>>get fonts from the fonts folder into the applications in which I
>>>need them? I follow the instructions in the Help section, but
>>>cannot seem to make those instructions work. Someone please
>>>unconfuse me.

>>While in Control Panel's Fonts folder, click on File, Install new
>>fonts, and surf to the font file(s) you want to use. Select them,
>>click Add.

> If the fonts are not installed, that is certainly the way to do it.
> However, Ms. Mohr says they are visible in the "Fonts Folder" which
> would indicate they already are installed.

Actually, I respectfully disagree. It's easy for users (or poorly
written software) to copy fonts over into the fonts folder, thinking
that's the trick to installing them. They can be in the folder but the
system is not aware of them until it is told to "install".

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rgr wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> If the fonts are not installed, that is certainly the way to do it.
>> However, Ms. Mohr says they are visible in the "Fonts Folder" which
>> would indicate they already are installed.

> Actually, I respectfully disagree. It's easy for users (or poorly
> written software) to copy fonts over into the fonts folder, thinking
> that's the trick to installing them.

That's a good point, especially with "poorly written software."
Anything might happen. But let's test...

> They can be in the folder but the system is not aware of them until it
> is told to "install".

I fired up the Windows box, and attempted to drop a .ttf file in the
C:\WINNT\Fonts directory. Windows 2000 immediately told me I "need to
install it" and offered to do so. It appears, at least in this version
of Windows, that you cannot have a non-installed .ttf font file in that
directory.

So I guess we still need Barbara to tell us exactly what she is trying
to do, and what the other software is.

--
-bts

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>

>>Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>
>>>If the fonts are not installed, that is certainly the way to do it.
>>>However, Ms. Mohr says they are visible in the "Fonts Folder" which
>>>would indicate they already are installed.

>>Actually, I respectfully disagree. It's easy for users (or poorly
>>written software) to copy fonts over into the fonts folder, thinking
>>that's the trick to installing them.

> That's a good point, especially with "poorly written software."
> Anything might happen. But let's test...
>

>>They can be in the folder but the system is not aware of them until it
>>is told to "install".

> I fired up the Windows box, and attempted to drop a .ttf file in the
> C:\WINNT\Fonts directory. Windows 2000 immediately told me I "need to
> install it" and offered to do so. It appears, at least in this version
> of Windows, that you cannot have a non-installed .ttf font file in that
> directory.
>
> So I guess we still need Barbara to tell us exactly what she is trying
> to do, and what the other software is.

True. Another scenario I think is possible is to have fonts installed,
then do a system restore and they get abandoned, but I'm not going to
try it to see.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rgr wrote:

> True. Another scenario I think is possible is to have fonts installed,
> then do a system restore and they get abandoned, but I'm not going to
> try it to see.

If I had a Windows version with a system restore, I would ... but ...

--
-bts