Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Web Developer 2005 vs. Microsoft Expression

Visual Web Developer 2005 vs. Microsoft Expression

jonny

I am new to web design and programming and was wonder which of these
two would be better to invest my time to learn.

Visual Web Developer 2005 vs. Microsoft Expression.

I would like to make very complex and neat looking web sites. I plan I
doing a lot of reports and charts pulling data out of database.

Please let me know which way I should go. Also, what is the best code
for someone to invest time learning for complex web building?

Scott M.

VWD is for programming web applications using ASP.NET. Expression Web is
less oriented to programming but is very standards oriented.

"jonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am new to web design and programming and was wonder which of these
> two would be better to invest my time to learn.
>
> Visual Web Developer 2005 vs. Microsoft Expression.
>
> I would like to make very complex and neat looking web sites. I plan I
> doing a lot of reports and charts pulling data out of database.
>

> Please let me know which way I should go. Also, what is the best code
> for someone to invest time learning for complex web building?

Brandon Gano

If you're planning on working with databases, you'll need more than
Expression, which I believe is more for static web development and/or
fleshing out html/css for use in web applications.

You'll need to learn ASP.NET and work with Visual Web Developer Express.
It's free, and it will be more than enough to get you started.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> VWD is for programming web applications using ASP.NET. Expression Web is
> less oriented to programming but is very standards oriented.
>

> "jonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>I am new to web design and programming and was wonder which of these
>> two would be better to invest my time to learn.
>>
>> Visual Web Developer 2005 vs. Microsoft Expression.
>>
>> I would like to make very complex and neat looking web sites. I plan I
>> doing a lot of reports and charts pulling data out of database.
>>

>> Please let me know which way I should go. Also, what is the best code
>> for someone to invest time learning for complex web building?

John Timney \(MVP\)

Go for VWD - from that to visual studio is a short step. Sounds to me like
you'll end up doing more coding that cosmetics and VWD is better suited. No
reason though not to learn both tools

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

"jonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am new to web design and programming and was wonder which of these
> two would be better to invest my time to learn.
>
> Visual Web Developer 2005 vs. Microsoft Expression.
>
> I would like to make very complex and neat looking web sites. I plan I
> doing a lot of reports and charts pulling data out of database.
>

> Please let me know which way I should go. Also, what is the best code
> for someone to invest time learning for complex web building?

Kevin Spencer

In fact, a web application may be thought of as 2 different components, one
the application process and data, and the other the user interface (HTML web
pages). VWD is tailored for application development, while Expression Web is
tailored for user interface design. I use both. And Visual Studio 2008 is
slated to ship with Expression Web as the design interface for ASP.Net web
applications. The first beta of Visual Studio 2008 is now available. You can
download it fro free at
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Printing Components, Email Components,
http://www.miradyne.net

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Jul 17, 5:44 am, "Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In fact, a web application may be thought of as 2 different components, one
> the application process and data, and the other the user interface (HTML web
> pages). VWD is tailored for application development, while Expression Web is
> tailored for user interface design. I use both. And Visual Studio 2008 is
> slated to ship with Expression Web as the design interface for ASP.Net web
> applications. The first beta of Visual Studio 2008 is now available. You can
> download it fro free athttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
>
> Printing Components, Email Components,
> FTP Client Classes, Enhanced Data Controls, much more.
> DSI PrintManager, Miradyne Component Libraries:http://www.miradyne.net
>
> "John Timney (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Go for VWD - from that to visual studio is a short step. Sounds to me
> > like you'll end up doing more coding that cosmetics and VWD is better
> > suited. No reason though not to learn both tools

> > --
> > --
> > Regards

> > John Timney (MVP)
> >http://www.johntimney.com
> >http://www.johntimney.com/blog

> > "jonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >>I am new to web design and programming and was wonder which of these
> >> two would be better to invest my time to learn.

> >> Visual Web Developer 2005 vs. Microsoft Expression.

> >> I would like to make very complex and neat looking web sites. I plan I
> >> doing a lot of reports and charts pulling data out of database.

> >> Please let me know which way I should go. Also, what is the best code
> >> for someone to invest time learning for complex web building?- Hide quoted text -

Thank you. Could you recommend a good Web Host Service that I can
start with and supports ASP.NET?

Kevin Spencer

I can't recommend one, no. But here's a directory on the Microsoft web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/serviceprov...?PromotionID=5

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Printing Components, Email Components,
http://www.miradyne.net

"jonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Jul 17, 5:44 am, "Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In fact, a web application may be thought of as 2 different components,
>> one
>> the application process and data, and the other the user interface (HTML
>> web
>> pages). VWD is tailored for application development, while Expression Web
>> is
>> tailored for user interface design. I use both. And Visual Studio 2008 is
>> slated to ship with Expression Web as the design interface for ASP.Net
>> web
>> applications. The first beta of Visual Studio 2008 is now available. You
>> can
>> download it fro free
>> athttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx.
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> Kevin Spencer
>> Microsoft MVP
>>
>> Printing Components, Email Components,
>> FTP Client Classes, Enhanced Data Controls, much more.
>> DSI PrintManager, Miradyne Component Libraries:http://www.miradyne.net
>>
>> "John Timney (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> > Go for VWD - from that to visual studio is a short step. Sounds to me
>> > like you'll end up doing more coding that cosmetics and VWD is better
>> > suited. No reason though not to learn both tools

>> > --
>> > --
>> > Regards

>> > John Timney (MVP)
>> >http://www.johntimney.com
>> >http://www.johntimney.com/blog

>> > "jonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Thank you. Could you recommend a good Web Host Service that I can
> start with and supports ASP.NET?

Brett

Jonny,

Hello, have you had much luck getting your website together? I found
your post because I was asking the exact same question as to use the
visual web developer or expression web. I have both of them downloaded
on my computer and have had some fun trying to get to learn the web
developing techologies and such that are out there.

The visual studio express is very, very cool. The documentation seems
very thorough and from what I've read and can tell you can build fully
functional web pages, web applications and other applications using
just the express edition.

I have signed up for a cool website www.learnvisualstudio.net - there
are some free videos on how to use expression and also like 500 videos
about ASP.NET, C#, VB and a bunch of cool stuff related to the visual
studio program. You have to pay a fee to see the other videos but I've
enjoyed watching them and am trying to learn as much as I can.

About hosting companies I found a cool website called www.webhostmagazine.com.
They have tons of information on their site about how to choose a web
hosting company. I've tried using yahoo web hosting in the past and it
didn't really work for me. Yahoo has a site building tool that I tried
to use and couldn't really get to work. So I stopped that service and
started to search for other hosting companies.

www.discountasp.net is probably the one I'm gonna use - they seem to
support just about anything that I could come up with in my beginning
stages as a web programmer and a friend of mine who has a webpage
building company also said that they're good, so I'll probably go with
them.

Right now I'm working on getting the content together for my site,
once it's about ready to go I guess I'll sign up for the hosting stuff
and get my site published and running. So anyway, maybe that
information helps, I'd love to hear more about your progress as it
seems we in the same boat in trying to learn about web programming and
such, so let me know via a reply to sender if you want.

Good luck

On Jul 17, 8:00 pm, jonny <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 5:44 am, "Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > In fact, awebapplication may be thought of as 2 different components, one
> > the application process and data, and the other the user interface (HTMLweb
> > pages). VWD is tailored for application development, whileExpressionWebis
> > tailored for user interface design. I use both. And Visual Studio 2008 is
> > slated to ship withExpressionWebas the design interface for ASP.Netweb
> > applications. The first beta of Visual Studio 2008 is now available. You can
> > download it fro free athttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx.

> > --
> > HTH,

> > Kevin Spencer
> > Microsoft MVP

> > Printing Components, Email Components,
> > FTP Client Classes, Enhanced Data Controls, much more.
> > DSI PrintManager, Miradyne Component Libraries:http://www.miradyne.net

> > "John Timney (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > Go for VWD - from that to visual studio is a short step. Sounds to me
> > > like you'll end up doing more coding that cosmetics and VWD is better
> > > suited. No reason though not to learn both tools

> > > --
> > > --
> > > Regards

> > > John Timney (MVP)
> > >http://www.johntimney.com
> > >http://www.johntimney.com/blog

> > > "jonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Thank you. Could you recommend a goodWebHost Service that I can
> start with and supports ASP.NET?- Hide quoted text -

jonny

On Jul 30, 5:20 pm, Brett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > > pages). VWD is tailored for application development, whileExpressionWebis
> > > tailored for user interface design. I use both. And Visual Studio 2008 is
> > > slated to ship withExpressionWebas the design interface for ASP.Netweb
> > > applications. The first beta of Visual Studio 2008 is now available. You can
> > > download it fro free athttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx.

> > > --
> > > HTH,

> > > Kevin Spencer
> > > Microsoft MVP

> > > Printing Components, Email Components,
> > > FTP Client Classes, Enhanced Data Controls, much more.
> > > DSI PrintManager, Miradyne Component Libraries:http://www.miradyne.net

> > Thank you. Could you recommend a goodWebHost Service that I can
> > start with and supports ASP.NET?- Hide quoted text -

Thank you. I went with discountASP.net as a web host and working out
well.