Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is OHP paper ?

What is OHP paper ?

pawihte@yahoo.com

This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
OHP paper is ? I've googled for it but I can't wade through all
of the 1720 hits, and the ones I read didn't explain what it is.

I gathered that it's a transparent sheet, probably with an
acetate base, and can be used for drawing or printing designs or
as a scratch protection cover.

What I'd like to know is -
What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?
What is its composition ?
What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
paper, etc. ?
Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

Old Gringo

On Or About Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:46:35 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
Or Thinking Twice, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Stumbled Over To The Keyboard

Help your self: http://tinyurl.com/2ewfcf
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

pawihte@yahoo.com

On Jul 17, 12:56 am, Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Or About Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:46:35 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
> Or Thinking Twice, (E-Mail Removed) Stumbled Over To The Keyboard
> And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>
> > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
> > OHP paper is ? I've googled for it but I can't wade through all
> > of the 1720 hits, and the ones I read didn't explain what it is.

> > I gathered that it's a transparent sheet, probably with an
> > acetate base, and can be used for drawing or printing designs or
> > as a scratch protection cover.

> > What I'd like to know is -
> > What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?
> > What is its composition ?
> > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
> > paper, etc. ?
> > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
> > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

> Help your self:http://tinyurl.com/2ewfcf

As I said in my first post, I'd already done a google search for
"OHP paper". All I could find were ads, pricing and suggested
uses of OHP stationery. No indication of its properties except
an assumption of knowledge by the potential user that it is
transparent.

I went through several of your search results (I'm on dial-up),
and since you did not use quotes, it just returned half a
million more of the same type of results I got.

Allow me to repeat some of my questions : How resistant to heat
is it ? Does it have non-stick properties like teflon (PTFE) ?

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
> OHP paper is ?

You should start with what you are trying to do, not what you think you
should be doing it with.

Overhead projectors and opaque projectors are a very old-fashioned and
inefficient way to do what can be done much better and more practically
nowadays with modern technology.

What are you trying to do that you think you need to find out OHP paper
or transparent films?

> What I'd like to know is -
> What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?

Yes.

> What is its composition ?

It depends on the technology of the projector, because some techniques
are hotter and different than others. Sometimes the transparent film is
on a roll, sometimes a sheet. Here are some methods
http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/...tion-a/123.htm
What are Overhead Projectors? - The History of Overhead Projectors -
Features of Overhead Projectors - Overhead Projector Configurations -
Direct Optics - Folded Optics - Reflected Optics

There's also the opaque (overhead) projector which also has a surface
such as 'paper' on a roll.

> What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
> paper, etc. ?

That would depend.

> Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
> non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

That would depend. What is the application you are trying to achieve?
You should start with what you are trying to do, not what you think you
should be doing it with.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2007-07-16, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
> OHP paper is ? I've googled for it but I can't wade through all
> of the 1720 hits, and the ones I read didn't explain what it is.
>
> I gathered that it's a transparent sheet, probably with an
> acetate base, and can be used for drawing or printing designs or
> as a scratch protection cover.
>
> What I'd like to know is -
> What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?

That's what I'd guess.

> What is its composition ?

Not paper. Traditionally, "acetate" which is preferred for its flatness,
clarity, and neutral colour. I daresay other substances might be used too;
you'd have to inspect the packaging in the shop or contact various
suppliers or makers to get the specification of different products.

> What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
> paper, etc. ?

Well, I'd guess that it can take the sort of heat you might get from an
overhead projector. Presumably there are differences between the types
meant for hand-drawing on or use with 'plotters' using wax crayons or felt
pens, laser printers, ink-jet printers, impact printers, etc.

> Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
> non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

Some types have peel-off opaque or translucent backing, possibly marked
with lines or a grid to assist layout. The pacakaging should include
instructions for use and handling to get best results for the purpose the
stuff is sold for. 'Non stick' would seem to conflict with the need for
it to retain what you draw or print on it.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

why?

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:37:02 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Oh well I had a good reply then XP did a BSOD.

>On Jul 17, 12:56 am, Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Or About Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:46:35 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
>> Or Thinking Twice, (E-Mail Removed) Stumbled Over To The Keyboard
>> And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>>
>> > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
>> > OHP paper is ? I've googled for it but I can't wade through all
>> > of the 1720 hits, and the ones I read didn't explain what it is.

>> > I gathered that it's a transparent sheet, probably with an
>> > acetate base, and can be used for drawing or printing designs or
>> > as a scratch protection cover.

>> > What I'd like to know is -
>> > What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?

Projecter.

>> > What is its composition ?
>> > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
>> > paper, etc. ?
>> > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
>> > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

That's a lot of questions for something that's used to wtire on with
permanent or non-permanent pens.

>> Help your self:http://tinyurl.com/2ewfcf
>>

>As I said in my first post, I'd already done a google search for
>"OHP paper". All I could find were ads, pricing and suggested

Learn to search better.

Try

ohp projector film properties

as a search, found some patent information.

>uses of OHP stationery. No indication of its properties except
>an assumption of knowledge by the potential user that it is
>transparent.
>
>I went through several of your search results (I'm on dial-up),
>and since you did not use quotes, it just returned half a

Di d you in the quotes and try again.

>million more of the same type of results I got.
>
>Allow me to repeat some of my questions : How resistant to heat
>is it ? Does it have non-stick properties like teflon (PTFE) ?

Mr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpa...8projection%29
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
7/16/2007 5:08:57 PM CST

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
> OHP paper is ? I've googled for it but I can't wade through all
> of the 1720 hits, and the ones I read didn't explain what it is.
>
> I gathered that it's a transparent sheet, probably with an
> acetate base, and can be used for drawing or printing designs or
> as a scratch protection cover.
>
> What I'd like to know is -
> What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?
> What is its composition ?
> What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
> paper, etc. ?
> Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
> non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

Are you the multimedia guy at the retro high school?

pawihte@yahoo.com

On Jul 17, 2:27 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2007-07-16, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
> > OHP paper is ?

> > What is its composition ?

> Not paper. Traditionally, "acetate" which is preferred for its flatness,
> clarity, and neutral colour. I daresay other substances might be used too;
> you'd have to inspect the packaging in the shop or contact various
> suppliers or makers to get the specification of different products.
>
> > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
> > paper, etc. ?

> Well, I'd guess that it can take the sort of heat you might get from an
> overhead projector. Presumably there are differences between the types
> meant for hand-drawing on or use with 'plotters' using wax crayons or felt
> pens, laser printers, ink-jet printers, impact printers, etc.
>
> > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
> > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

> Some types have peel-off opaque or translucent backing, possibly marked
> with lines or a grid to assist layout. The pacakaging should include
> instructions for use and handling to get best results for the purpose the
> stuff is sold for. 'Non stick' would seem to conflict with the need for
> it to retain what you draw or print on it.

Thanks, that's the kind of reply I hoped for. Not like those that
treat my post as if I was asking for classified information that
was meant to be dispensed sparingly on a need-to-know basis.

My reason for asking was as follows (I just didn't think I'd need
to post it to ask what I thought were straightforward questions):

Someone asked in a forum how to make PCBs, and someone else
claimed that he uses OHP paper as an iron-on medium to transfer
the copper track design on to the raw copper-clad board.

I sometimes use the iron-on method myself for prototyping, but I
use different media. This fellow claims that he'd been using OHP
paper for 10 years, but something in the way he said it made me
wonder if he'd ever made any PCBs at all, using any method. Hard
to put a finger on it, but whenever I get an intuitive feeling
like this, it usually turns out to be correct.

It's not an ego thing. If OHP film/paper is suitable for the
purpose, great. I may want to use it myself, and thank the poster
for the info. I just don't want him to mislead the OP in case he
was full of sh*t.

Another reason for framing my questions as I did is that I like
to collect as much info as possible on any topic I'm interested
in, including extraneous tidbits that may not be immediately
relevant. Such pieces of info have often proved to be very useful
later.

Whiskers

On 2007-07-17, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2:27 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2007-07-16, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
>> > OHP paper is ?

>> > What is its composition ?

>> Not paper. Traditionally, "acetate" which is preferred for its flatness,
>> clarity, and neutral colour. I daresay other substances might be used too;
>> you'd have to inspect the packaging in the shop or contact various
>> suppliers or makers to get the specification of different products.
>>
>> > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
>> > paper, etc. ?

>> Well, I'd guess that it can take the sort of heat you might get from an
>> overhead projector. Presumably there are differences between the types
>> meant for hand-drawing on or use with 'plotters' using wax crayons or felt
>> pens, laser printers, ink-jet printers, impact printers, etc.
>>
>> > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
>> > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

>> Some types have peel-off opaque or translucent backing, possibly marked
>> with lines or a grid to assist layout. The pacakaging should include
>> instructions for use and handling to get best results for the purpose the
>> stuff is sold for. 'Non stick' would seem to conflict with the need for
>> it to retain what you draw or print on it.
>>

> Thanks, that's the kind of reply I hoped for. Not like those that
> treat my post as if I was asking for classified information that
> was meant to be dispensed sparingly on a need-to-know basis.
>
> My reason for asking was as follows (I just didn't think I'd need
> to post it to ask what I thought were straightforward questions):

If people don't know the context of the questions, the answers are going
to be pretty wide of the mark.

> Someone asked in a forum how to make PCBs, and someone else
> claimed that he uses OHP paper as an iron-on medium to transfer
> the copper track design on to the raw copper-clad board.

Sounds unlikely unless he means something quite different from the
transparent or translucent "acetate" used for overhead projectors.

> I sometimes use the iron-on method myself for prototyping, but I
> use different media. This fellow claims that he'd been using OHP
> paper for 10 years, but something in the way he said it made me
> wonder if he'd ever made any PCBs at all, using any method. Hard
> to put a finger on it, but whenever I get an intuitive feeling
> like this, it usually turns out to be correct.
>
> It's not an ego thing. If OHP film/paper is suitable for the
> purpose, great. I may want to use it myself, and thank the poster
> for the info. I just don't want him to mislead the OP in case he
> was full of sh*t.

I'd ask exactly what he means by "OHP paper" and what resist medium he uses
with it. I've never created a PCB, but I imagine the resist has to be
very well 'stuck' to the blank board, without smudging or air-bubbles, and
I would expect that to require a fair bit of heat and pressure to be
applied to the 'transfer'. The OHP acetates I've used would be too
delicate for that sort of treatment.

Of course, if he's actually using the transparency to create a
'photo-resist', that would be entirely different - but that isn't 'iron-on
transfer'.

> Another reason for framing my questions as I did is that I like
> to collect as much info as possible on any topic I'm interested
> in, including extraneous tidbits that may not be immediately
> relevant. Such pieces of info have often proved to be very useful
> later.

I suggest that you learn to develop your web-searching skills )

--
-- Whiskers