Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > persistent popup window

persistent popup window

kjk

Hi Folks,

Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

Bernhard Sturm

kjk wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
> the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

why would you want to interfere your website with the client
OS-behaviour? What do you do if I am running lynx on my debian-box in
console mode?
How do you treat the fact, that I use pop-up-blockers on all my UAs?
Just don't try to do such things. Your audience has its reasons why they
don't like pop-ups.

cheers
bernhard

--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:13:22 GMT
kjk scribed:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
> the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

> 'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
> scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
> screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>

There used to be some kind of always-on-top option for javascript windows
but I believe it has been superceded by common sense.

Incidentally, MS seems to have a similar basic misconception. If _I_ can't
get _my_ browser to work the way _I_ want it to, I just won't use it. At
the moment, Firefox is the best browser "out there", Opera is second, IE6
is probably third, and IE7 fourth. Yes, this will undoubtedly cause
comment, but it's nonetheless true. All of them have more bugs than they
should have, but I would consider the attitude at mozilla.com regarding the
issue to be the best.

--
Neredbojias
A self-made man who worships his creator

kjk

So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

Ken

-----------------------

On 16 Jul 2007 21:05:17 GMT, Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:13:22 GMT
>kjk scribed:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
>> the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

>> 'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
>> scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
>> screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>

>There used to be some kind of always-on-top option for javascript windows
>but I believe it has been superceded by common sense.
>
>Incidentally, MS seems to have a similar basic misconception. If _I_ can't
>get _my_ browser to work the way _I_ want it to, I just won't use it. At
>the moment, Firefox is the best browser "out there", Opera is second, IE6
>is probably third, and IE7 fourth. Yes, this will undoubtedly cause
>comment, but it's nonetheless true. All of them have more bugs than they
>should have, but I would consider the attitude at mozilla.com regarding the
>issue to be the best.

Jonathan N. Little

kjk wrote:
> So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
> don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
> but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

Please don't top post. You have essentially received the answer, but
maybe the explanations have been too obtuse. The answer, your really
cannot do it. It was recognized as a security issue back in Netscape 4.x
and the property "alwaysRaised" required a signed script. Popup windows
in general are a bad idea and modern browsers give the user ultimate
control to prevent them. My advice is to rethink your design.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Bergamot

kjk wrote:

> I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

FYI, this isn't a help desk, so we are under no obligation to give you
the answer you seek. This is a discussion group, so we discuss things
such as the merits of your query (or lack thereof).

Pop-up windows are generally evil things. We'd rather tell you you're
likely hurting yourself by doing whatever it is you want to do, instead
of giving you instruction on how to shoot yourself in the foot.

Most of us have learned how to disable pop-ups altogether. It does make
the web a nicer place.

And please don't top post.
http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

--
Berg

Blinky the Shark

kjk wrote:
> So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
> don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
> but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

I'd say you missed the category "know, criticise". Well, not exactly
"missed", rather "don't want to hear".

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

http://blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

cwdjrxyz

On Jul 16, 1:13 pm, kjk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
> the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

> 'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
> scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
> screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Ken

As others have stated, this sort of thing is not as popular now as it
once was. However, if you can turn the window on and off, and those
who have script turned off can still buy your widgets(or see your
important information) without the window, then this becomes a matter
of taste and style. You might go to http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ and
look at the Script Categories list and select Window and Frames. There
are several listed, and usually there is a demo for each one and what
browsers they work on is specified. Most of these scripts have been
brought up to date and work on recent IE, Firefox and often Opera.
Support for Netscape 4's layers has been removed from most, since this
browser seldom is used anymore, and including layers code greatly
complicates the script. In most cases this type of script is designed
just not to show an effect and otherwise work normally if the browser
does not support it, script is turned off, etc. Even so, it is a good
idea to test by turning script off on your browser to be certain
everything works properly other than the window is gone.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Jonathan N. Little:

> kjk wrote:
>> So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
>> don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
>> but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

> Please don't top post.

Why not? As long as "kjk" wishes to remain completely clueless, top posting
is a useful indicator of this situation.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/