Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Connection through existing cell phone number?

Wireless Connection through existing cell phone number?

Tom

Hi,

I am going to purchase a laptop for a friend and the laptop already has a Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) card in it. Is it possible to connect to a (or use with a) cell phone number over this device? If not, if it is possible, what does one need. The person gets around a lot, and needs to connect to the net quite pften. Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom

peter

He needs a special cable that he can buy from his cell phone supplier.
They are specific to cell phone in use..so it depends upon the type of phone he
has
It connects from the USB port on a laptop to a connection under the screen on
mine and uses the cell internet.
Of course he has to sign up for such a plan ..$$$$
peter
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,

I am going to purchase a laptop for a friend and the laptop already has a
Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) card in it. Is it possible
to connect to a (or use with a) cell phone number over this device? If not, if
it is possible, what does one need. The person gets around a lot, and needs to
connect to the net quite pften. Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom

Jack

Hi

The only thing that is mutual between 802.11g Wireless Network and a
Wireless (cellular) phone is the word Wireless. Otherwise there in no
connection what so ever.

In other word having a Wireless Network capacity has nothing to do with
Wireless Phone.

There are few ways to use Wireless Phone as a mean to connect to the
Internet.

Each one depends on the company that renders the service (Verizon and Sprint
Do).

Do not buy any hardware concerning such a capacity without establishing a
Cellular account that supports Internet connection and receiving guide line
from the provider concerning the nature of the hardware that works best with
their system.

P.S. All of the above is concerning Cellular Internet service. Connection to
the Internet might also be obtained with the 802.11g Wireless through
publicly available Hot Spots like the ones that are available in Internet
Café (it has nothing to do with phones). To do so you do not need any thing
more then a correctly configured Laptop with 802.11x Wireless capacity.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,

I am going to purchase a laptop for a friend and the laptop already has a
Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) card in it. Is it
possible to connect to a (or use with a) cell phone number over this device?
If not, if it is possible, what does one need. The person gets around a lot,
and needs to connect to the net quite pften. Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom

Chris Catt

Hi, wireless, aka infrared, you'll require a USB, bluetooth adaptor....
ChrisC
news:(E-Mail Removed)...