Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > ISDN interfaces in North America

ISDN interfaces in North America

captainx0r@gmail.com

Is it possible to connect an ISDN router with an S/T interface to the
carrier network without an external NT1? From some reading I've done
it sounds like it's possible, you just lose the capability of using
multiple devices. In this case we're only using one device, so that
would be fine.

Gabriele Beltrame

<(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Is it possible to connect an ISDN router with an S/T interface to the
> carrier network without an external NT1? From some reading I've done
> it sounds like it's possible, you just lose the capability of using
> multiple devices. In this case we're only using one device, so that
> would be fine.

Hi,

If I remember right it is not possible because you can't connect an S/T
device directly to an U reference point.

Reference Points should be something like this: (Device)- S ----NT2---->
T ------NT1------> U-(ISDN Switch)
So I think you need an NT1

Regards,
Gabriele

Doug McIntyre

>Is it possible to connect an ISDN router with an S/T interface to the
>carrier network without an external NT1? From some reading I've done
>it sounds like it's possible, you just lose the capability of using
>multiple devices. In this case we're only using one device, so that
>would be fine.

How would you account for it going from 4 wires down to 2 wires?

The answer would be not possible, you have an to have an NT1 somewhere.

Maybe you can get an S/T handoff from something like an inhouse PBX,
but in general, you'll only get the 2-wire U handoff from a telco in
North America.

What's wrong with having an external NT1 interface? You don't have to
have it right in the same room..