Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: Disaster Recovery

Re: Disaster Recovery

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=

We do this often: We take a Server class DC and restore it to a PC and it
works perfectly. Takes about 1 hour when you understand all of it. If you
want more details please email me.

When you are finished with the installation of the server create a folder on
the desktop called Backup.
Copy these files to this folder:
C:\boot.ini
C:\Winnt\System32\hal.dll
C:\Winnt\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
Note: After you push the restore to this server you will replace these
files with what you have in the backup folder BEFORE REBOOTING THE
SERVER!!!!!!!!

3. Restore Data: Make sure you have the Backup Folder on your desktop
before proceeding.
Reboot Server and Press F8 For troubleshooting and advanced startup options
for Windows 2000 when you see Starting Windows 2000.
Arrow down to Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows 2000 domain
controllers only) option.
Press Enter for this option.

Log into Windows and Click on OK to the message you are in Safe Mode.

Restoring Data: From the ArcServe Server
Open BrightStor Manager.
Click on Manager in the top tool bar then choose Restore
Under the Source Tab Click the arrow down and choose Restore by session.
Locate the session server backup is on and select C:\, F:\, G:\, and System
State. Whatever drives you had configured.
 Note: This next step is critical.
For System State; Right Click and choose Local Options. Then check the top
Option which is Make the Restored Copy of the Active Directory Authoritative.

After you run the restore you will see a cmd window come up on the new
server which looks like the one in CA’s Article 1004 Titled; Recovering
Active Directory with BrightStor ARCserve Backup 9.0., page 4 of 5. The
Ntdsutil will say failed. This is ok.

Note: DO NOT REBOOT THE SERVER.
Now you must replace the files that you have in the Backup Folder on your
desktop with the ones in the corresponding directories. The boot.ini, hal.dll
and ntoskrnl.exe.
Now you can Reboot the server. This may take some time to get to a log on
screen.

4. Configuring the Server to be ^^ Domain Controller. Steps A - F
Once you log in; if the system wants to reboot DO NOT reboot yet.
Open a Command Prompt and type net share <Enter>
Look to see if you have Sysvol shared.

If this folder is not shared we need to do the following: Will Call this
Step A.

Step A:
Stop the File Replication Service in Services.

Open C:\Winnt\Sysvol\Domain Folder. In this folder will be
NtFrs_PreExisting_See_EventLog folder. In that folder will be 2 additional
folders; Policies Folder and Scripts Folder. Copy these 2 folders; Policies
and Scripts up to C:\Winnt\Sysvol\Domain.

Run Regedt32:
Open the following Registry Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NTFRS\Paramaters\Backup/Restore\Process.
Change BurFlags Key to D4 and Choose Hex. Will change to 0xd4.

Start the File Replication Service.
Completed Step A.
Wait for a minute and run Net share again from a command prompt to see if
Sysvol is shared; if this folder is not shared yet wait additional time until
this folder is shared; then continue with the additional steps. You can also
look in the event viewer under File Replication Service Event for Event ID
13516.

Step B:
Edit the NIC Card and check to see if the IP is correct. For this server it
is X.X.X.X. If the server is set for DHCP then you have another NIC
installed that you cannot see. Do the following.

Run cmd
Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=#1 <Enter>
Type start devmgmt.msc <Enter>

Click on View and Select Show hidden devices
Uninstall NIC under Network adapters. Right Click and choose uninstall.
This will be the ghost like adapter.
Now you can change the NIC to the IP it was.
Wait until you see Sysvol shared by running Net share from a command prompt.
Completed Step B.

Step C: DNS Insert the Windows 2000 Server CD before performing this step.
Run MMC and try to add the DNS snapin. If you do not see DNS as an option
you will need to install DNS. Right Click on My Network Places on the
Desktop and select Properties. Click on Advanced then Choose Optional
Networking Components. Highlight Networking Services and then check DNS and
Click Next. You will need the Windows 2000 CD to do this step. This will
install DNS.
Run MMC and add the DNS Snapin. Right Click on Forward Lookup Zones under
Server Name. Choose New Zone. Choose Standard Primary. Call it ^^.com and
Click Next. Choose Use this existing file and type ^^.dns. Click on Finish.

Now you added the Standard Primary Zone.
Completed Step C.

Step D: Seize Roles. Keep in the 2000 Server CD.
Install Support tools. Browse the Windows 2000 CD to D:\support\tools and
run Setup.exe. Typical.
From a Command prompt:
Type: Netdom query fsmo <Enter>
You will see all roles.

Type the following below and wait for the command line to appear after each
step:
Type: Ntdsutil
Type: Roles
Type: C
Type: Connect to server Wait for it to bind
Type: Q
Type: Seize schema master Wait If this does not work make sure you typed
in q as in above step.
Type: Seize domain naming master Wait
Type: Seize infrastructure master Wait
Type: Seize rid master Wait
Type: Seize pdc Wait

Type: q Again and again until you are back at a command prompt.
Type: Netdom query fsmo <Enter>
You will see all roles.
Completed Step D.

Step E. Removing all other Domain Controllers from AD.
Start Run adsiedit.msc.
Go to the following Key.
Domain NC [^^.com]
DC^^^,DC=com
OU=Domain Controllers
Delete All servers under here except server you are working with
Note: You will need to delete each server 2 times.

CN=System
CN=File Replication Service
CN=Domain System Volume (sysvol share)
Delete all but Server working with

Now go to this key:
Configuration Container [Server Name[
CN=Configuration,DC=^^DC=com
CN=sites
Expand each and delete the servers under the site name. READ EXAMPLE BELOW:
Example: CN=^^
You will delete ^^ and ^^ leaving the Primary location and Servers Keys.
Completed Step E.

Reboot the Server and you are ready to add users and computers.

Step F. DHCP.
I ran the following before backing up the Original Server:
Netsh dhcp dump > C:\winnt\system32\dhcp\dhcpconfig.txt

This dumped the entire configuration of DHCP while it was online to a text
file. Now we backup C:\winnt\system32\dhcp with our normal backup.

On the restored DC install DHCP Service.
Right Click on My Network Places on the Desktop and select Properties.
Click on Advanced then Choose Optional Networking Components. Highlight
Networking Services and then check DHCP and Click Next. You will need the
Windows 2000 CD to do this step. This will install DHCP.

Run MMC and add the DHCP Snap-in. Activate DHCP and run the following
command:

Netsh exec C:\winnt\system32\dhcp\dhcpconfig.txt

This will rebuild the entire DHCP configuration minus the leases.
Completed Step F.

"Slarty Bartfast" wrote:

> Thanks Blasting Fonda (Your real name?) the VMware idea does sound like it
> would work. I might give that a try as well, but I am still hoping for a
> more conventional restore method using the backup tapes.
>
> We have IBM Xeon X335 Servers - but in a crunch and we need to restore, it
> is unlikely we will be able to buy the same hardware - they are already hard
> to get. That's why I want to test this scenario.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Slarty Bartfast
>

> - My operat~1 system unders~1 long filena~1, does yours?
>
> "blastingfonda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > While this may not be the answer your looking for, there is a way to
> > ensure your DC is completely recoverable to any hardware - install it
> > on Virtual PC, VMWare or Virtual Server 2005. When you run your weekly
> > backups, backup the entire VPC image file (which includes the entire OS
> > plus the system state). Now, supposing your host PC crashes - all you
> > need to do is reinstall the VMWare product on any other PC, restore
> > that image file and everything should work fine. Since the drivers on
> > virtual machines are non-hardware specific, you won't run into any
> > issues.
> >
> > Virtual domain controllers may take a slight performance hit over
> > native OS DCs, but if your host hardware is fast enough, has enough RAM
> > and if you're not running anything else on it, that shouldn't be an
> > issue. The only cost you'd incur is forking over some money for a VM
> > software license.
> >
> > Slarty Bartfast wrote:
> >> I have asked this in what would seem the appropriate NGs but got no

> > help, so
> >> I always come back here to my favourite NG.
> >>
> >> I have Brightstor Disaster Recovery, which is very good for restoring

> > to the
> >> same (or very similar) hardware.
> >> But what I would like is a clear description of how to recover a

> > Win2k DC
> >> from backup tapes to completely different hardware as in the worst

> > case like
> >> a fire - with no other DCs available. There doesn't seem to be a lot

> > of
> >> 'clear' info on this wherever I have looked. Some say it's too

> > hard...
> >> Microsoft's suggestions don't work for me one bit. Ie; Q249694;

> > Q263532
> >> And as far as I have seen, even ARCserve don't have any info except

> > for DR
> >> on similar hardware.
> >> I might take a look at Veritas Bare Metal if anyone can comment on

> > that.
> >>
> >> Really, I don't even need a 'quick' recovery. It would be nice if I

> > can only
> >> find help on how to manually recover a Win2k DC to different

> > hardware.
> >>
> >> It seemed to be a lot simpler on Windows NT4.

> [...]

Slart Bartfast

Thanks Kevin,

I have printed this out and will try it.

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast