Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Microsoft Testing Questions

Reply
Thread Tools

Microsoft Testing Questions

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?c2VudHRvbnVsbDA=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
I'm just wondering/thinking out loud here,

Why does Microsoft make their tests so tricky? Why format it in ways that
gets people to fail it?

I've been working in IT for a few years. I know how to setup user accounts,
move permissions in groups, troubleshoot hardware, etc. Yet, I get questions
wrong on the exam because they aren't clear about that they say..

I find the exam less and less about testing your technical knowledge and
more about memorizing the menu that appears after you right click, etc.

I've taken and passed Cisco exams, I wonder why Microsoft feels the need to
do this. No flaming, just honest input if you have any.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
T-Bone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
"senttonull0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I've been working in IT for a few years. I know how to setup user

accounts,
> move permissions in groups, troubleshoot hardware, etc. Yet, I get

questions
> wrong on the exam because they aren't clear about that they say..


Hopefully some of this will be fixed by the move to simulation type
questions.
--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?c2VudHRvbnVsbDA=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
When will the move to simulation type questions happen?

I hear people complain about braindumpers all the time on this board, well
guess what? There wouldn't be a point to braindumping if the questions where
just straight forward and clear. Even the greenest rookie would rather just
learn the material then memorize 500 test questions and answers.

And still no answer to my original question, why does Microsoft design their
tests this way when others like Cisco don't? Sorry to sound like I'm whining
but I honestly don't believe the point of the current test structure is the
weed out real IT Pros from the braindumpers. I feel like it's actually doing
the reverse.

"T-Bone" wrote:

> "senttonull0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > I've been working in IT for a few years. I know how to setup user

> accounts,
> > move permissions in groups, troubleshoot hardware, etc. Yet, I get

> questions
> > wrong on the exam because they aren't clear about that they say..

>
> Hopefully some of this will be fixed by the move to simulation type
> questions.
> --
> T-Bone
> MCNGP XL
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
JaR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Utf-8?B?c2VudHRvbnVsbDA=?= spewed
across the ether:

> I honestly don't believe the point of the current test structure is
> the
> weed out real IT Pros from the braindumpers. I feel like it's actually
> doing the reverse.


Werd.



--
JaR
Remove hat to reply
*This Space For Rent*
 
Reply With Quote
 
kpg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
> but I honestly don't believe the point of the current test structure is
> the
> weed out real IT Pros from the braindumpers. I feel like it's actually
> doing
> the reverse.


How ironic.

Looking at it from MS's perspective I'm not sure they have a
choice, however. When the exams are too easy everyone
complains about braindumpers, when they make it too hard
everyone complains they can’t pass.

Being a bit of a test connoisseur, I can tell you that multiple
choice tests are evil. I always over-analyze the questions.
Many of the answers given are correct or partially correct, or
could be argued in a particular situation to be correct, but the
instructions say to pick the BEST answer. The gurus that make
the tests are experts in the field of test making, so I won’t argue
their assumption that someone who knows what ever it is they
are testing for in that questions should also know how to answer
it, but I’m with you – If the test fails someone that really does
know what they need to know it’s not a good test. The problem
is that a passable test is also a braindumpable test. (Hey, I just
made up a new word!)

Simulation exams offer some hope to resolve the predicament.

We’ll have to wait and see.
kpg

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I'm just wondering/thinking out loud here,
>
> Why does Microsoft make their tests so tricky? Why format it in ways that
> gets people to fail it?


The intent is quite the opposite. We try to make the exams as simple to
understand and take as possible. Could you give me an example of what
you are referring to a tricky question? (email is ok - bensmi @
microsoft . com)

>
> I've been working in IT for a few years. I know how to setup user accounts,
> move permissions in groups, troubleshoot hardware, etc. Yet, I get questions
> wrong on the exam because they aren't clear about that they say..
>
> I find the exam less and less about testing your technical knowledge and
> more about memorizing the menu that appears after you right click, etc.


This certainly is not the intent. I have been deeply involved in many
exams and can assure you that this is the case.


> I've taken and passed Cisco exams, I wonder why Microsoft feels the need to
> do this. No flaming, just honest input if you have any.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Briscobar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
senttonull0 <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
>
> When will the move to simulation type questions happen?


It's already started in some exams.

> I hear people complain about braindumpers all the time on this board,
> well guess what? There wouldn't be a point to braindumping if the
> questions where just straight forward and clear. Even the greenest
> rookie would rather just learn the material then memorize 500 test
> questions and answers.


I beg to differ, here. Call me a cynic, but I really do think that as long
as a test is braindumpable[1], there will be morans out there who'll try to
take the easy way out.

> I honestly don't believe the point of the
> current test structure is the weed out real IT Pros from the
> braindumpers.


Well put. We've heard rumbles here (not to point the finger, but I'm
pointing my finger at Ben) that MS is indeed working on castrating the
braindumpers. Whether this is a proactive solution (in addition to
simulation-based exams) or a reactive solution (tctips emails), I don't
know. Either way, MS claims that they're working on the braindumper
situation. But you're right; the current multiple-choice-only exams are
quite conducive to cheating, and they don't help separate the good from the
bad.



[1] {$1 to kpg}

--
KB

MCNGP #26
www.mcngp.com is part of a balanced breakfast.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Well put. We've heard rumbles here (not to point the finger, but I'm
> pointing my finger at Ben) that MS is indeed working on castrating the
> braindumpers.


Castrating might be a little strong of a word.

> Whether this is a proactive solution (in addition to
> simulation-based exams) or a reactive solution (tctips emails), I don't
> know.


Both, also we are attempting to better educate managers (and hiring
managers) on the role of MCSE - what it means and how to use it. (I
wrote an article about this last year in Windows IT Pro Magazine. )
The bottom line is that a person without real knowledge and skills with
an MCSE will be quickly exposed - the challenge for us it to not let
those individuals hurt the brand of the credential.


> Either way, MS claims that they're working on the braindumper
> situation. But you're right; the current multiple-choice-only exams are
> quite conducive to cheating, and they don't help separate the good from the
> bad.
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
CBIC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
MS is indeed working on castrating the
> braindumpers.


How did you hear about the order they placed with us?
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38
Some people are like a Slinky.
Not good for much but still fun to push down a flight of stairs.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Subject: Re: Microsoft Testing Questions
> From: Ben Smith <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Well put. We've heard rumbles here (not to point the finger, but I'm
> > pointing my finger at Ben) that MS is indeed working on castrating the
> > braindumpers.

>
> Castrating might be a little strong of a word.
>
> > Whether this is a proactive solution (in addition to
> > simulation-based exams) or a reactive solution (tctips emails), I don't
> > know.

>
> Both, also we are attempting to better educate managers (and hiring
> managers) on the role of MCSE - what it means and how to use it. (I
> wrote an article about this last year in Windows IT Pro Magazine. )
> The bottom line is that a person without real knowledge and skills with
> an MCSE will be quickly exposed - the challenge for us it to not let
> those individuals hurt the brand of the credential.


You can read my article on-line at
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Authors/...1474/1474.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd loyola MCSE 4 11-15-2006 02:40 AM
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd loyola Microsoft Certification 3 11-14-2006 05:18 PM
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd loyola MCSD 3 11-14-2006 05:18 PM
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd realexxams@yahoo.com Microsoft Certification 0 05-10-2006 02:35 PM
microsoft.public.dotnet.faqs,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms,microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb Charles A. Lackman ASP .Net 1 12-08-2004 07:08 PM



Advertisments