Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > CMP without entity beans ?

CMP without entity beans ?

sc_wizard29@hotmail.com

Hi everyone,

I will soon be working on a EJB 2.1 legacy application (running on
JBoss), so i've started studying "JBoss at work, a practial guide".

In this book, the CMP chapter uses Hibernate ((using .HAR archives)
instead of Entity Beans. As far as I understand, this feature is
specific to JBoss, maybe because Entity Beans are implemented with
Hibernate.

I have the 2 following questions :

- Is the same behavior possible on other application servers ? (ie :
CMP with Hibernate instead of Entity Beans ?)
- Let's say I want to use another persistence strategy (ex : Ibatis or
straight JDBC), can I still use CMP ?

Thanks for helping !

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

> I will soon be working on a EJB 2.1 legacy application (running on
> JBoss), so i've started studying "JBoss at work, a practial guide".
>
> In this book, the CMP chapter uses Hibernate ((using .HAR archives)
> instead of Entity Beans. As far as I understand, this feature is
> specific to JBoss, maybe because Entity Beans are implemented with
> Hibernate.
>
> I have the 2 following questions :
>
> - Is the same behavior possible on other application servers ? (ie :
> CMP with Hibernate instead of Entity Beans ?)
> - Let's say I want to use another persistence strategy (ex : Ibatis or
> straight JDBC), can I still use CMP ?

CMP is a term used for one way of using Entity Beans.

Hibernate and JBoss har files are not CMP.

You can use Hibernate in all application servers.

The specific har file packaging is JBoss specific.

Arne