Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem with new Belkin Pre-N router

Problem with new Belkin Pre-N router

Danisoid

Hi,
I have installed a brand new Belkin Pre-N router that I use with a variety
of network cards: Belkin 54g, MN-720 54g, some other USB products 11b. I use
both XP SP2 and W2000, and the router configuration is left standard except
for security handled through MAC Address restrictions.
While this router really rocks, on a weekly basis I have this phenomenon
where the wireless connections drop in performance and finally get dropped
without any warning. It seems like the router gets overloaded and cannot
handle wireless connections while cable connections remain active. The only
way I have right now to restore the situation is to either switch the router
off, or resetting it through the configuration software. After that
operations things get back to normal at full speed.
Does any one has a clue about that issue?
I checked the Belkin web site unsuccessfully.
It really bothers me because this router really expand my signal range
great, beyond my expectations.

Thanks,
Danisoid

Jonathan Strong

Danisoid -

I've had the Belkin F5D8230-4 Pre-N router up and running for about 6 weeks
now, and it has been 100% rock solid. I've pumped a LOT of data through
it -- massive downloads from wired and wireless pc's, as well as large data
transfers across my WLAN from wired to wireless segments and vice versa. So
far not a single hiccup, and I haven't had to reboot it for any reason
either. I've been using this with 4 wired pc's, a wireless pc with a Belkin
Pre-N adapter, and a wireless laptop with the Pre-N card also. I also used
it for a while with my old DLink laptop and pc cards, and it worked great.

I wonder if the MAC filtering code has some kind of memory leak in the
router? That's all that's different between our setups (I believe). Have you
considering trying it without MAC filtering turned on? Not ideal, but it
might shed light on the issue.

Also: have you called Belkin support? I would certainly give them a try.

I haven't tried MAC restrictions - so that's one thing different in our
setups.

A shame you're experiencing this - the router has been incredible for me -
better than anything else I've seen in the market to date.

- Jon

"Danisoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have installed a brand new Belkin Pre-N router that I use with a variety
> of network cards: Belkin 54g, MN-720 54g, some other USB products 11b. I
> use both XP SP2 and W2000, and the router configuration is left standard
> except for security handled through MAC Address restrictions.
> While this router really rocks, on a weekly basis I have this phenomenon
> where the wireless connections drop in performance and finally get dropped
> without any warning. It seems like the router gets overloaded and cannot
> handle wireless connections while cable connections remain active. The
> only way I have right now to restore the situation is to either switch the
> router off, or resetting it through the configuration software. After that
> operations things get back to normal at full speed.
> Does any one has a clue about that issue?
> I checked the Belkin web site unsuccessfully.
> It really bothers me because this router really expand my signal range
> great, beyond my expectations.
>
> Thanks,
> Danisoid

Danisoid

Thanks Jonathan,
I agree it is an awesome piece of hardware when it works.
Before MAC access control, I also used WEP 128bits but the results were the
same, NO even worst as the key was resetted at the card level (???? do not
ask me how) forcing me rekey them in each time to reconnect.
I have not tried the belkin "human" support yet, but it probably already
know the answer they will give me......"it must be your cards which are not
Belkin pre-N", so this will be my last option.
Thanks
Dan

"Jonathan Strong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Danisoid -
>
> I've had the Belkin F5D8230-4 Pre-N router up and running for about 6
> weeks now, and it has been 100% rock solid. I've pumped a LOT of data
> through it -- massive downloads from wired and wireless pc's, as well as
> large data transfers across my WLAN from wired to wireless segments and
> vice versa. So far not a single hiccup, and I haven't had to reboot it for
> any reason either. I've been using this with 4 wired pc's, a wireless pc
> with a Belkin Pre-N adapter, and a wireless laptop with the Pre-N card
> also. I also used it for a while with my old DLink laptop and pc cards,
> and it worked great.
>
> I wonder if the MAC filtering code has some kind of memory leak in the
> router? That's all that's different between our setups (I believe). Have
> you considering trying it without MAC filtering turned on? Not ideal, but
> it might shed light on the issue.
>
> Also: have you called Belkin support? I would certainly give them a try.
>
> I haven't tried MAC restrictions - so that's one thing different in our
> setups.
>
> A shame you're experiencing this - the router has been incredible for me -
> better than anything else I've seen in the market to date.
>
> - Jon
>
> "Danisoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> I have installed a brand new Belkin Pre-N router that I use with a
>> variety of network cards: Belkin 54g, MN-720 54g, some other USB products
>> 11b. I use both XP SP2 and W2000, and the router configuration is left
>> standard except for security handled through MAC Address restrictions.
>> While this router really rocks, on a weekly basis I have this phenomenon
>> where the wireless connections drop in performance and finally get
>> dropped without any warning. It seems like the router gets overloaded and
>> cannot handle wireless connections while cable connections remain active.
>> The only way I have right now to restore the situation is to either
>> switch the router off, or resetting it through the configuration
>> software. After that operations things get back to normal at full speed.
>> Does any one has a clue about that issue?
>> I checked the Belkin web site unsuccessfully.
>> It really bothers me because this router really expand my signal range
>> great, beyond my expectations.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Danisoid

Misiek

"Danisoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Jonathan,
> I agree it is an awesome piece of hardware when it works.
> Before MAC access control, I also used WEP 128bits but the results were
> the same, NO even worst as the key was resetted at the card level (????
> do not ask me how) forcing me rekey them in each time to reconnect.
> I have not tried the belkin "human" support yet, but it probably already
> know the answer they will give me......"it must be your cards which are
> not Belkin pre-N", so this will be my last option.
> Thanks
> Dan

Note that WEP128 is not covered by WiFi logo. Therefore its interportability
is not guaranteed. On the other hand WEP64 and WPA are covered. You maight
want to try these.

Misiek

Harvey Gratt

Misiek wrote:
> "Danisoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Thanks Jonathan,
>>I agree it is an awesome piece of hardware when it works.
>>Before MAC access control, I also used WEP 128bits but the results were
>>the same, NO even worst as the key was resetted at the card level (????
>>do not ask me how) forcing me rekey them in each time to reconnect.
>>I have not tried the belkin "human" support yet, but it probably already
>>know the answer they will give me......"it must be your cards which are
>>not Belkin pre-N", so this will be my last option.
>>Thanks
>>Dan

> Note that WEP128 is not covered by WiFi logo. Therefore its interportability
> is not guaranteed. On the other hand WEP64 and WPA are covered. You maight
> want to try these.
>
> Misiek

Does the wireless pre-N card come with WPA software for win98se? I have
an older I7500 laptop in which I am currently using WEP 128.

Harvey

Malke

Harvey Gratt wrote:

> Misiek wrote:
>> "Danisoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Thanks Jonathan,
>>>I agree it is an awesome piece of hardware when it works.
>>>Before MAC access control, I also used WEP 128bits but the results
>>>were
>>>the same, NO even worst as the key was resetted at the card level
>>>(???? do not ask me how) forcing me rekey them in each time to
>>>reconnect. I have not tried the belkin "human" support yet, but it
>>>probably already know the answer they will give me......"it must be
>>>your cards which are not Belkin pre-N", so this will be my last
>>>option. Thanks
>>>Dan

>> Note that WEP128 is not covered by WiFi logo. Therefore its
>> interportability is not guaranteed. On the other hand WEP64 and WPA
>> are covered. You maight want to try these.
>>
>> Misiek
>>

> Does the wireless pre-N card come with WPA software for win98se? I
> have an older I7500 laptop in which I am currently using WEP 128.
>
> Harvey

Harvey - the laptop's hardware would have to also support WPA. If the
wireless hardware is older, it won't be available to you on the laptop.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Misiek

"Harvey Gratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Does the wireless pre-N card come with WPA software for win98se? I have an
> older I7500 laptop in which I am currently using WEP 128.

Unfortunatly no. Belkin software does not inlude WPA support. One needs to
use XP or some third party software for WPA. Moreover, there is no support
for win98 at all. Only 2000 and XP.

Misiek

Jonathan Strong

Hopefully Belkin will release WPA support in an update to the driver for
their cards, although I don't know if they'll bother for an older version of
Windows at this point...

"Misiek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Harvey Gratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> Does the wireless pre-N card come with WPA software for win98se? I have
>> an older I7500 laptop in which I am currently using WEP 128.
>>

> Unfortunatly no. Belkin software does not inlude WPA support. One needs to
> use XP or some third party software for WPA. Moreover, there is no support
> for win98 at all. Only 2000 and XP.
>

> Misiek

=?Utf-8?B?ZHJpbmt5dGhlc3R1bnRkcml2aW5nY2xvd24=?=

i have the same dropped connection problem that plauges me every few days.
sometimes have to restart 10 times. did ms design this? may be a leak that
shuts it down, but the linux kernel doesn't seem to want to load it back up.
no i'm also having problems keeping it tapped to the internet. i hope its
not faulty. i might also add that the problem seemed to crop up around the
time i moved it to from room temp to a 50 degree room and haven't tried to
move it back. seems odd a cooler temp would have something to do with it but
it could be related. i was one of the first purchasers of the device, and i
couldn't believe my eyes when i saw their marketing junk. sure, when it
works it outperforms anything on the market including some 500mw cards i've
used, but the router can be so sporadic. btw, the pcmcia card does work with
netstumbler. when they tell you it has 800% the coverage, the scientific
principal deployed in their marketing leads you to believe they have used the
same standard as everyone else, distance from the router. i believe it does
have 800% the coverage, but bearing in mind coverage is considered in terms
of area, not distance. one must take the square root to gauge its
performance against the standard of using distance, which comes up to 2.5
times the distance, roughly. they still have a fault in their advertising,
though. you can find in the current manual, they don't say 800% the coverage
of the competition, they say 800% 'wider' coverage. This is clearly
deceptive as wider now alleges 8 times the distance, when its actually still
around 2.5 times. i've emailed them numerous times to get the 'wider' taken
out of the advertising, but it still remains. should one wonder if they even
are smart enough to make the distinction, one need only to look at the box
with the two bubbles around the home where the belkin bubble is clearly 8
times wider than the competitions. one shows a few rooms, theirs shows the
whole city. although not to scale, it affirms they belittled a very solid
product that was genuinly superiour by leading consumers to believe it was
roughly 3 times the product it actually is. when i first got mine, i
couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the manual. On the cover, it states,
superior performance and 'twice' the coverage of the competition. on the
same page, it says, '800% wider coverage'. if thats not bad enough to screw
up the same stat on the same page by a factor of 400%, turn to page 3 where
they screwed up the speed quantification by almost the same margin of error.
when i emailed them about this and also noted it was on the pdf at their
website, they had it retracted and corrected before i got off the phone with
them, although they still refuse to revoke the 'wider' terminoligy. luckly,
for your entertainment i saved a copy of the old pdf before they changed it.
you need only look at the first page to see what i'm talking about, but you
could turn to page 3 where they do it again. what a shame to take a boafide
product well over twice the value of the competition and mangle the
advertising this corruptly. and as you guessed, i furnish for your
entertainment the original manual at
http://goodbodys.dyndns.org/holyjesu...okgoodonus.pdf . if you own
one of these routers, you must check this out. i don't know how its possible
to butcher documentation this bad. the first page says 'twice the coverage'
at the top, and 800% the coverage at the bottom. under 800% on the bottom,
we find 600% faster. the same mistake on twice the coverage is repeated on
page 3 paragraph one, but step to paragraph 2 on the same page and we find
'five times the previous capacities'.

i advised dumping all the work they did to independently prove this products
performance and just fill up the first 3 pages with either, 'we don't really
know', or 'we don't really know how to count'.

i haven't heard back from their legal team yet, but surely curiosity won't
keep you from browsing over to their site and downloading the revised edition
to see how they pulled themselves out of this hole.

anyone with suggestions about the dropped wireless please advise. i would
greatly apprecieate it. how in the hell do you create a product so superior
in the marketplace and still can't count? bearing in mind even if they were
counting on their fingers you could still be missing 2 fingers from some
freak accident and still get up to 8 using both hands, or lose both hands and
get there counting on your toes.

drinky