Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > UPS with a " I don't want it to beep when lose power' option

Reply
Thread Tools

UPS with a " I don't want it to beep when lose power' option

 
 
toneus@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2008
There's some good and bad points being made here. Cheap UPS systems
utilise square wave inverters, regardless if they call them pseudo-
sine or whatever, they're square waves. Square waves inverters are
actually pummelling your power supply with a series of high voltage
impulses. This is not good for any electronic circuit. Thankfully, as
mentioned above, the inverter only kicks in when the power fails which
is usually only an occasional occurance and so most equipment that
uses a switch mode power supply (i.e. computer power supplies) will
appear generally unaffected. However, my money says if you are having
regular power outages, your system will get damaged by these type of
UPS.

But I disagree completely with the point made above that transformer
power supplies will round the edges and this is safe. It is not! They
round the edges as they are disappating the power, and this is
generating heat and surely causing damage, not only to the transformer
but to the UPS as well. In my experience you can actually hear the
transformer laminations buzzing when subject to a square wave. Don't
do it!

If in doubt, you need a sine wave inverter, and for true power
protection an online UPS system. If you're using for medical
equipment, never, never use a square wave UPS, as not only can it
cause problems as discussed above, the noise it generates can
interfere with the operation of the system. Not only, that, but when
you use a UPS in a medical environment, it should be certified to
UL2601-1 and have very low earth leakage. I have written about this on
my blog http://upsmart.co.uk/blog if anybody is interested.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2008
My original post (posted on Jul 15 2007 ! ) was regarding any UPS - even the
one connected to my PC. Buying a UPS assumes the buyer would LIKE to keep
power applied to the target device, right ? At 3AM when a car hits a pole
and I lose power at the house, since UPS switch is normally ON, I'm awoken
by a beeping that I'd like to ignore. Short of unplugging the UPS, on many
models there is no FACTORY way of silencing the beep. I'd like to have a
SILENCE button to turn off the beep - that's all. Since they do not offer
it, then what HAS to happen is:
option #1 = leave plugged in , hear the beep, stay awake and wait until
battery dies (or street power reappears) OR
#2 = unplug the UPS.
Either of those factory options is/was stupid. ( aside from the fact that
you're using even more backup power to generate the beep). THAT was my
point: PC, TV etc - same argument. BTW, APC states -
" Waveform Type = Stepped approximation to a sinewave " here:
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...otal_watts=200


"Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cda40$4928b594$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MOST of them do not produce a square wave, but rather a "modified sine
> wave" ... which is BS, but it's still not a square wave either (it does,
> however, have vertical sides to it's elements). I know this because I
> connected an oscilloscope to one (a cheap APC model) and personally
> observed the waveform.
>
> As to "Store-purchasable UPS's are intended ONLY for computing equipment
> and NOT for ANYTHING ELSE", I simply don't agree. They work with almost
> anything that uses either a switching power supply (switching power
> supplies don't care about the input waveform) or a transformer power
> supply (the transformer's windings will "round" the waveform adequately
> for almost all devices that have transformer power supplies). Certainly,
> some things won't like the waveform, but you can get away with it for the
> VAST majority of items .... computer or not. [not everything, however, I
> do agree with that]
>
>
> Billsey wrote:
>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>
>>> I can't be the only one with this issue and can't find an alternative.
>>> Advice? Different vendor?
>>> I've got a few of these home-office-sized UPS 350VA, 500VA from APC and
>>> when I lose power at the house, I CANNOT turn off the #$%'ing beeping
>>> noise!

>>
>> Store-purchasable UPS's are intended ONLY for computing equipment and NOT
>> for ANYTHING ELSE. They do not produce anything even resembling clean
>> power, but only a 60Hz, 120v SQUARE WAVE, which could do DAMAGE to
>> non-computing equipment. If you have and require life-sustaining
>> equipment
>> that requires uninterruptible power, I suggest you get something from the
>> local power company instead of the electronics store. If you have
>> anything
>> other than computing equipment connected to power through a
>> store-purchasable UPS I suggest you remove it from the UPS—for the
>> equipment's own sake. The proper use of store-purchasable UPS's is to
>> connect computing equipment that has on-board data-storage capacity
>> through
>> the UPS's battery back-up. The proper procedure in case of power-outage
>> is
>> to IMMEDIATELY SHUT-DOWN that computing equipment properly—then TURN OFF
>> the UPS. When you do this, the beeping will stop. If you are using
>> store-purchasable UPS's for anything other than computing equipment you
>> are
>> MISUSING those UPS's and putting your equipment in danger of damage FROM
>> THE UPS. If you insist on continuing such practices, then you are
>> displaying your own stubbornness and stupidity—and you deserve what you
>> get.
>> __________________________________________________ _____________________________
>> http://www.lulu.com/billsey

> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
westom1@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2008
On Nov 24, 10:32*am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> My original post (posted on Jul 15 2007 ! ) was regarding anyUPS- even the
> one connected to my PC. Buying aUPSassumes the buyer would LIKE to keep
> power applied to the target device, right ? At 3AM when a car hits a pole
> and I lose power at the house, sinceUPSswitch is normally ON, I'm awoken
> by a beeping that I'd like to ignore....
> option #1 = leave plugged in , hear the beep, stay awake ... OR
> #2 *= unplug theUPS.


Or three: install a switch to disconnect the beeper. Others worried
about an irrelevant warranty. A typical UPS battery has a three year
life expectancy that the warranty does not even cover. What else
needs a warranty? The UPS circuitry is often so cheap and simple
(which is why it outputs square waves) that the battery costs almost
as much as a new UPS.

Put a switch on the beeper. Problem solved. Solution was always
that simple.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin Childers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-26-2008

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gg9kh7$l4r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Billsey wrote on Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:11:42 -0600:
>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>
>>> I can't be the only one with this issue and can't find an alternative.
>>> Advice? Different vendor?
>>> I've got a few of these home-office-sized UPS 350VA, 500VA from APC and
>>> when I lose power at the house, I CANNOT turn off the #$%'ing beeping
>>> noise!

>>
>> Store-purchasable UPS's are intended ONLY for computing equipment and NOT
>> for ANYTHING ELSE. They do not produce anything even resembling clean
>> power, but only a 60Hz, 120v SQUARE WAVE, which could do DAMAGE to
>> non-computing equipment. If you have and require life-sustaining
>> equipment
>> that requires uninterruptible power, I suggest you get something from the
>> local power company instead of the electronics store. If you have
>> anything
>> other than computing equipment connected to power through a
>> store-purchasable UPS I suggest you remove it from the UPS-for the
>> equipment's own sake. The proper use of store-purchasable UPS's is to
>> connect computing equipment that has on-board data-storage capacity
>> through
>> the UPS's battery back-up. The proper procedure in case of power-outage
>> is
>> to IMMEDIATELY SHUT-DOWN that computing equipment properly-then TURN OFF
>> the UPS. When you do this, the beeping will stop. If you are using
>> store-purchasable UPS's for anything other than computing equipment you
>> are
>> MISUSING those UPS's and putting your equipment in danger of damage FROM
>> THE UPS. If you insist on continuing such practices, then you are
>> displaying your own stubbornness and stupidity-and you deserve what you
>> get.

>
> Being an electronic engineer I say hogwash! I remember cell phone
> manufactures and other devices would say your warranty was void if you use
> an inverter or UPS to plug into. Although I don't think they make this
> claim anymore. Nor do I believe you can purchase a pure square wave
> inverter or UPS anymore.
>
> I also have used transformers on square waves before and they seem to
> still function. Slightly higher temperature, but tolerable. And they
> continue to work reliably for many years.
>
> There are also UPS that doesn't use the inverter at all as long as there
> is mains power. I have one of these and they use the mains power and surge
> protect it as long as power is there. The UPS part kicks in only when the
> mains isn't enough.
>
> Also APC doesn't seem to mind if you use them on other non-computer
> devices. Such as Telecom equipment (i.e. PBX, KEY system),
> Modem/Telephone, Audio/video entertainment systems, Fax Machines, VOIP,
> etc.
>
> https://www.apcc.com/support/inter_warranty/index.cfm?
>
> So Billsey, where did you get your information? As I really would like to
> know.
>
> People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are
> doing it. -- Anonymous
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 8GB 1GB SoDIMM Adata 16GB
> Windows XP SP2 and Xandros Linux


I believe the restriction is not a matter of the technology so much as the
warranty. All of the ratings are based on a fixed range of constants..
those being the average power draw of computing equipment, not an Amana
microwave oven or your power drill.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin Childers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2008
To the original subject: Some have physical switches to silence the alarm
and some have software to manage that. Then again some only have an on/off
switch. Check the documentation and you will see what your options are.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UPS service won't start/no UPS tab in Power Options jdimester Computer Support 6 01-23-2010 03:27 PM
block pop-ups option resets Phil Hellmuth Firefox 0 03-17-2007 05:43 PM
You lose some, and then you lose some ... Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 13 09-24-2006 08:29 AM
Mac LC475 (Quadra 650) plays "beep beep beep beep" Uplink Computer Information 0 04-12-2006 10:37 PM
BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Arg! :( Kevin Low Computer Information 0 07-06-2003 08:29 AM



Advertisments